Nailmakers Arms

RichardB

Has this place been a pub, longer than any other ? From Pubs and People around Sheffield - Roy Davey

Advertising blurb from http://www.thebigmenu.co.uk/main.php?page=...p;panel=reviews

29 Backmoor Road

Sheffield S8 8LB

T: 0114 2550092 Add to Favourites

Trading since 1638, The Nailmakers Arms is Sheffield's undisputed oldest pub! Under new management, this traditional pub offers a good range of beers, wines & spirits, food is coming soon! There is also a pool room, darts, plus many traditional games. A function room for upto 60 guests is also available. With an open fire and a warm welcome from the new tenants, John and Sara Spiers, The Nailmakers Arms is a family favourite.

Guest Wulfric Owl

Its not bad, its opposite my Aunties, its situated on Backmoor which is the last right hand turn off Blackstock Road if memory serves right.

Guest plain talker

Wulfric, we need to point out that it's the Norton Water Tower end of Blackstock Rd, not Newfield green! ;-)

I lived on Gleadless Valley as a very young child. My grandma used to get her hair done at the hairdressers near the NMA, on Backmoor Rd. On our way back, we'd stop off at the NMA for a quick Half.

For some reason,(I was only two/ two and a half) I associated the hairdressers with the NMA, so I used to call the NMA "the HairLacquers!" lol

Guest Wulfric Owl

Wulfric, we need to point out that it's the Norton Water Tower end of Blackstock Rd, not Newfield green! ;-) I lived on Gleadless Valley as a very young child. My grandma used to get her hair done at the hairdressers near the NMA, on Backmoor Rd. On our way back, we'd stop off at the NMA for a quick Half.

For some reason,(I was only two/ two and a half) I associated the hairdressers with the NMA, so I used to call the NMA "the HairLacquers!" lol

Ooops yeah silly me.... As a child I also lived on Gleadless Valley, 229 Gaunt Road to be precise.

Guest plain talker

What age are you, wulfric? We were probably neighbours, I lived in the third block of maisonettes from the bottom, smack bang opposite Gaunt way. You were probably in about the second or third from the top...?

MY father's lorry was always knocking the streetlamp down opposite GW. :blush: it had a permanent "downhill- list" on it! ^_^

I was just disappointed the place looked so "new", obviously had a lot of work done, well kept, only looked about 50 years old, with recent renovations - sounds a bit like the wife ....... <ouch>

Guest Wulfric Owl

What age are you, wulfric? We were probably neighbours, I lived in the third block of maisonettes from the bottom, smack bang opposite Gaunt way. You were probably in about the second or third from the top...?

MY father's lorry was always knocking the streetlamp down opposite GW. :blush: it had a permanent "downhill- list" on it! ^_^

Im 23, I lived there from being 2 til I was 8, I can't remember if I was in the second or third block it seems so long ago now but I was in the maisonette at the left hand side of the gravel football pitch as you would look at it from the road. Opposite a little gennel(not the gennel that led to the shop though)

Guest plain talker

ahh ty for answering my query.

You weren't even born when I moved off t' Valley. (she chuckles, wryly)

I was nine, almost 10 when we moved away from Gaunt road, in 1974. I moved back, briefly, (for nine months... nine months of purgatory) to the other side of the Valley, near the Far Lees, about 10 yrs ago, but it was deadful, it had deteriorated badly, the housing stock was incredibly poorly maintained, and there was a high proportion of what we used to call "problem families" lots of criminal activities, lie car thieving , general "thefts -and- burglaries", and drug-dealing. It was very different from the nice community, in beautiful surroundings that I knew wfrom my childhood.

The long hot summer of 1976 (Remember - save water, bath with a friend?) we were taking our CSE's and O levels at Gleadless Valley. The hall was stifling, they used to close the curtains to block out the sunlight but then had to open them again to let in some air. Inbetween exams there was nothing to do but go down to the nailmakers and have a half of Dry Blackthorn (Cider was cheaper than beer at 23p a pint and we were only 17!)

Has the Nailmakers improved at all?

When I was lad, it was a lovely pub - or so the adults told me, kids weren't allowed in pubs then! My grandad was a regular. I seem to remember going to a party for the local kids there when I was about 5. Cute (pass the parcel, etc).

Through the 90's though I heard terrible things about it deteriorating - no first hand evidence of it as I never went it, but it sounded close to becoming a no go area.

I live miles away now so I'll probably never be in again - whats it like now?

FROM Evening Standard Wed Aug 7 1946, page 5, col 5:

Mr. Horace Skelton was host of Bagshawe Arms and formerly of the Nailmaker's Arms, both in Hemsworth-road, Norton, Sheffield.

He claimed to have held a licence longer than anyone else - ever since he was 18, when he took over the Nailmaker's Arms.

He was 91 when he died in December

1951 Directory Bagshawe Arms Fras. Rt. Skelton Hemsworth rd. Hemsworth FL

Advertising blurb from http://www.thebigmenu.co.uk/main.php?page=...p;panel=reviews

29 Backmoor Road

Sheffield S8 8LB

T: 0114 2550092 Add to Favourites

Trading since 1638, The Nailmakers Arms is Sheffield's undisputed oldest pub! Under new management, this traditional pub offers a good range of beers, wines & spirits, food is coming soon! There is also a pool room, darts, plus many traditional games. A function room for upto 60 guests is also available. With an open fire and a warm welcome from the new tenants, John and Sara Spiers, The Nailmakers Arms is a family favourite.

As to Sheffield's Oldest pub there seems to be some dispute.

It is often quoted as being the Old Queens Head on Pond Hill which dates back to the 15th century.

However, at that time it was "the Hawl (Hall) in the Ponds" and was not a public house. It became a pub much later, possibly in the 19th century even.

Which scuppers it claim to be Sheffield's oldest pub straight away

Then there is the Nailmakers at Backmoor Road, Norton, it has been a pub selling beer since 1638, certainly a very old pub then.

However, due to its very suburban location it was for its first 300 or so years a Derbyshire pub, only becoming a part of Sheffield in the City's expansion in the 20th century.

So it can't really claim to be SHEFFIELD's oldest pub can it?

Which rather begs the question What is Sheffield's oldest pub?

To win this award the pub MUST have been selling alcoholic drinks AND have been within the City boundary for the longest continuous period without a break up to the present day.

Any Offers?