Unidentified Building

philistine

I live on towards the end of Southey green rd near where it meets halifax road and have done for over 25 Years, I was in a neighbours back garden today

and noticed a relatively large building I haven't really seen before, it backs onto the pizza central & chip shop. There are no signs of activity for many years

have asked around but no one seems to know what it was once. Any ideas ?

I live on towards the end of Southey green rd near where it meets halifax road and have done for over 25 Years, I was in a neighbours back garden today

and noticed a relatively large building I haven't really seen before, it backs onto the pizza central & chip shop. There are no signs of activity for many years

Good question! The entrance seems to be from Cookson Close, and it shares an open area with the houses on that road. Could it be residential?

Looks an interesting building with 4 skylights in the roof, obviously not been in use for some time if the tree growth in the front and back yards are taken into account.

Has a sort of Co-op look to it to my thinking, could it be an abandoned milk distribution depot ?

Why don't you ask at the chip-shop, in my experience chip-shop owners know all about everything happening in a 2 mile radius. Pity our 50's OS maps don't cover the area.

HD

Some possibles, these may have just been shop fronts (retail) or they may have been warehousing/production. They are however located at the Cookson Road end of Southey Green Road in 1957 :

James Pegram & Co, Grocers

Arthur Davy & Sons Ltd

George Osborne (Outfitters) Ltd

J H Dewhirst Ltd, butchers

All the rest appears residential. Just throwning these in for consideration.

That beats my Four of Spades and two Sixes (both Hearts, is someone cheating here ?)

Shown as a electrical sub station on a map I have.

If that's the case perhaps it was a tramways substation to provide the 650 volts DC for the old tram system. The Wadsley Bridge terminus was located very close by.

A normal distribution sub-station would not have potentially leaky roof-lights over the equipment.

If it was solely for the tram system that would explain why it is apparently derelict. There is a similar sub-station on Bradfield Road which contained Mercury Arc rectifiers but that one was also a distribution sub-station. There seems to be a modern sub-station attached to the structure.

HD

How dare you, here's my hand lol

Ace up the sleeve.

That beats my Four of Spades and two Sixes (both Hearts, is someone cheating here ?)

How dare you, here's my hand lol

Ace up the sleeve.

Game, set and match I think! Now where's Cliff to lead the singing? :o

I'm as honest as the next MP, how about we trade your valid votes for my 17 strong collection of Green Shields Stamps ? and I'll pretend I can solve the deficit by next Wednesday - people will believe me, look its only 16% rise in Tax per decade if looked at over the extremely long term, it could be back to normal by the time your Grandchildren are 92 - I'll have a shave tomorrow and look convincing and everything ...

www.nonascorruptasitmayappear.enormousprofitandstuffyou.co.uk

email : doingyouoverfordecades_whateveryourparty@fiddle.bankulike.co.uk.com

That is behind what used to be Dewhirst's the butchers which was the very last shop, probably be the cold room/store

Guest muddy90

I used to work in that Dewhirsts it wasn't a cold room or anything to do with the shop. The substation as memory serves was behind it. There used to be an old man called jack who was a bit of a del boy character who kept flowers in it although i don't think he owned it he just used it without anyone knowing.