W Andrews & Son

Lyn 1

Does anyone have any information or better still a photo on W Andrews and Son of Page Hall Rd Sheff, which was a General Drapers and Gents and Ladies Outfitters? My father in law worked there in 1929-31.

I remember the area from the 1950s but can't recall W Andrews.

Thanks

Lyn

Here is a photo of the junction of Page Hall Road ( to the right) & Firth Park Road ( to the left) taken about 1905. There is Family Drapers shop just on the end of Page Hall Road; name looks like L. Keay but no doubt it may have changed hands 25 years later.

In the Whites Directory of Sheffield a Walter Andrews is listed as a Manager ( no business shown) residing at 32 Page Hall Road in 1905. By 1911, 32 Page Hall Road is listed as being lived in by Joseph Taylor Ironmonger so Walter Andrews must have moved elsewhere by then.

John

Here is a photo of the junction of Page Hall Road ( to the right) & Firth Park Road ( to the left) taken about 1905. There is Family Drapers shop just on the end of Page Hall Road; name looks like L. Keay but no doubt it may have changed hands 25 years later.

In the Whites Directory of Sheffield a Walter Andrews is listed as a Manager ( no business shown) residing at 32 Page Hall Road in 1905. By 1911, 32 Page Hall Road is listed as being lived in by Joseph Taylor Ironmonger so Walter Andrews must have moved elsewhere by then.

John

J Keay, draper 1 - 3 Page Hall Road

1925 Kelly's

Guest Gramps

J Keay, draper 1 - 3 Page Hall Road

1925 Kelly's

I'm pretty sure 1-3 Page Hall road is the building with the 'Page Hall Market' (1906?) inscription on the front opposite the bottom of Idsworth road. It was the National Westminster bank in the 70s As a double fronted shop it would be almost as large as Peel's at No. 25.

I'm pretty sure 1-3 Page Hall road is the building with the 'Page Hall Market' (1906?) inscription on the front opposite the bottom of Idsworth road. It was the National Westminster bank in the 70s As a double fronted shop it would be almost as large as Peel's at No. 25.

The numbers may have changed over the year's then Gramps.

Here's a Google street-view to compare with johnm's 1905 photo (post #3)

out of view to the right is an Afro Caribbean hairdressers who's address is 5 Page Hall Rd.

Usmans Supermarket (1 - 3 ?) next door has a street sign up on the wall 'Page Hall Rd'

Guest Gramps

The numbers may have changed over the year's then Gramps.

Here's a Google street-view to compare with johnm's 1905 photo (post #3)

out of view to the right is an Afro Caribbean hairdressers who's address is 5 Page Hall Rd.

Usmans Supermarket (1 - 3 ?) next door has a street sign up on the wall 'Page Hall Rd'

Oops ! hadn't noticed johnm's photo. Usman's supermarket was the NatWest bank and is 1-3 Page Hall road. My memory was telling me that was the building that carried the plaque. My memory's shot :rolleyes:

Guest JK WKA

Hi.

The shop you're all talking about (Joab Keay's and later W. Andrew's) belonged to my family from the early 1900s until the early 1960s - I've been sharing info/photos about it recently with johnm;. It was a haberdashery/clothing shop.

The shop is at the corner of Firth Park Road and Page Hall Road (the address was nos 1 and 3 Page Hall Road, as mentioned), and was built about 1905 (originally, there was a large stone date/name piece in the centre of the roof with JK on it; built, as were many buildings in the area around the turn of the 19th/20th centuries, by my great, great grandfather, Joab Keay. Walter Andrew, his son-in-law, came into the business with him.

Joab died in 1923, and Walter senior in 1931, and Walter's son, Walter Keay Andrew (my Grandpa), who'd come in to help run the business after returning from WWI in the early 1920s, then ran the store until he retired in the early 1960s, at which time the business was sold, and became a bank.

Elsewhere on the forums (Page Hall) is another photo from 1920, by which time Parr's creamery is immediately next door, with Kramer's butchers next to that. The stone date/name sign was sadly removed at some point, and in recent times the only way to identify the building was by the arched first floor windows.

Lyn1 - what was your father-in-law's name? My Mum might recognise it; as I said above, Walter Andrew senior died in 1931, aged only 56, and that ties in with the dates you gave for your relative working at the shop,

Guest JK WKA

9th January 2013 - just been picking my Mum's brains about her Dad's shop, <strong class='bbc'>W.K.Andrew's at 1 and 3 Page Hall Road</strong> (in business from the early 1900s until the early 1960s), and found out lots more detail!<br />

The ground floor had ladies' knitting and sewing stuff/patterns, etc, on the left side, and on the right were men's clothing and underwear, along with rolls of cloth, from which customers could have their clothing made to measure; the ladies' fitting rooms and measuring department were on the first floor, along with ladies' underwear, etc., and on the lower floor you could buy carpets and rugs, and have linoleum cut to size from various different rolls.

Wish I could have seen the shop myself!

I vaguely remember the assistant who served you put your payment into a container on an overhead wire system which after the assistant pulled a lever or something, whisked your payment to an office. There they sorted any change required & sent that back on the overhead wire (probably with a receipt) to the assistant, who passed the change to you. I think that would be very late 40's or early 50's.

Re - Lyn1 - what was your father-in-law's name? My Mum might recognise it; as I said above, Walter Andrew senior died in 1931, aged only 56, and that ties in with the dates you gave for your relative working at the shop,

Have sent you a private message

Lyn