Ayup!

JohnEBoy

Hi folks

I'm John, a Sheffielder who loves history, which led me here!

My 'local' knowledge is not as strong as my general English/British history, and hoped to join here and learn more, whether it be about how our city was formed, or if anyone remembers how tacky Roxy's club was? he he

Looking forward to chatting and learning.

Hi folks

I'm John, a Sheffielder who loves history, which led me here!

My 'local' knowledge is not as strong as my general English/British history, and hoped to join here and learn more, whether it be about how our city was formed, or if anyone remembers how tacky Roxy's club was? he he

Looking forward to chatting and learning.

Welcome JohnEBoy, my local knowledge is strong, I'm just not that local these last 30 years, here's hoping we can contribute something between us. I may have contributed a bit already but welcome to ya anyway.

Welcome JohnEBoy, my local knowledge is strong, I'm just not that local these last 30 years, here's hoping we can contribute something between us. I may have contributed a bit already but welcome to ya anyway.

Hi Richard, thanks for the welcome. I'll post more when I've surfed through the tons of posts!

:rolleyes:

Hi Richard, thanks for the welcome. I'll post more when I've surfed through the tons of posts!

:rolleyes:

I hope to be local this weekend and to meet a lot of people.

Ayup! :blink::unsure:lol

Ayup JohnEboy aaar da goooin' ooor reight?

Welcome to Sheffield History, ;-) enjoy.

Ahh, Ah'm o'rayt, ahh! he he

Ahh, Ah'm o'rayt, ahh! he he

Ahh (translation = yes) was a word I picked up from an early age from my father and grandfather, so it was almost inherited within the male family line.

If my dad was in a coversion, like on a telephone, where he was merely agreeing with someone all you heard was, -

Ahh, ... Ahhh, Dats reeight Ahh, ... Ahh, ...

and so on, although there may have been an occasional "neow" thrown in if he didn't agree.

I use Ahh for yes so naturally that at school I was regular in a spot of bother with Man Whitham (the deputy head) for using this word.

Anyone would have thought I was swearing.

Ahh (translation = yes) was a word I picked up from an early age from my father and grandfather, so it was almost inherited within the male family line.

If my dad was in a coversion, like on a telephone, where he was merely agreeing with someone all you heard was, -

Ahh, ... Ahhh, Dats reeight Ahh, ... Ahh, ...

and so on, although there may have been an occasional "neow" thrown in if he didn't agree.

I use Ahh for yes so naturally that at school I was regular in a spot of bother with Man Whitham (the deputy head) for using this word.

Anyone would have thought I was swearing.

he he I know what you mean, although ironically I'm a south Sheffielder (called 'posh' at school!!), raised near Graves park! My accent now though is a hybrid of that region and 'typical' Sheffield!

he he I know what you mean, although ironically I'm a south Sheffielder (called 'posh' at school!!), raised near Graves park! My accent now though is a hybrid of that region and 'typical' Sheffield!

So went to, -

Gleadless Valley School?

Newfield School?

Rowlinson School?

perhaps :unsure:

So went to, -

Gleadless Valley School?

Newfield School?

Rowlinson School?

perhaps :unsure:

I was a schoolkid at Rowlinson!! (Norton College now, for any of the younger surfers)

I was a schoolkid at Rowlinson!! (Norton College now, for any of the younger surfers)

I thought you were going to say Jordanthorpe because I had missed it out of the list of possible south Sheffield schools.

I never could spell, or even pronounce Rowlinson.

In fact the kids that I met from there when I was at school in the 1960's - 70's prefered to call the school "Rolling Stone" because it sounded dead trendy ;-)

I thought you were going to say Jordanthorpe because I had missed it out of the list of possible south Sheffield schools.

I never could spell, or even pronounce Rowlinson.

In fact the kids that I met from there when I was at school in the 1960's - 70's prefered to call the school "Rolling Stone" because it sounded dead trendy ;-)

'Jordo' were our rivals! :rolleyes: We called our place 'Rolo'!

Eyup mate, Call me thick but where is Deira?

Is it Dubai?

Depends.

Is = Dubai,

Was= a kingdom in northern England during the 6th century AD. It extended from the Humber to the Tees, and from the sea to the western edge of the Vale of York. It later merged with the kingdom of Bernicia to the north to form the kingdom of Northumbria.

So JohnEBoy is either an ex-pat or an English history buff! ;-)

Depends.

Is = Dubai,

Was= a kingdom in northern England during the 6th century AD. It extended from the Humber to the Tees, and from the sea to the western edge of the Vale of York. It later merged with the kingdom of Bernicia to the north to form the kingdom of Northumbria.

So JohnEBoy is either an ex-pat or an English history buff! ;-)

Any bets ??

My moneys on the latter. :)

Jordo and Rollo eh, - ending the names with a letter o gives them a very latin sound, - and I don't recall them being Grammar schools.

I went to Norfolk, Norfo just wouldn't sound right would it? :unsure:

But by substituting 2 of the consecutive letters in it with 2 others and removing another letter we gave it a much more interesting name, - unrepeatable on a polite public web site :o

Any bets ??

My moneys on the latter. :)

JohnEboy has already said that one of his interests is history, particularly local and British History.

so my money is with yours vox.

JohnEboy is a history buff and he lives in what I would have called Northumbria, not the county of Northumberland but the much larger middle age Kingdom.

Now I'm totally confused, Can't wait to hear the answer to this one. lol

Hmmm...

Well JohnEboy lives in what was Northumbria.

But I think his old school, being in South Sheffield which was not that long ago part of Derbyshire would have been in Mercia

In the 9th and 10th centuries there were wars between Northumbria and Mercia and what is now Sheffield would have been right on the front line. :o

A bit like when Wednesday play United in derby match these days. lol

Hmmm...

Well JohnEboy lives in what was Northumbria.

But I think his old school, being in South Sheffield which was not that long ago part of Derbyshire would have been in Mercia

In the 9th and 10th centuries there were wars between Northumbria and Mercia and what is now Sheffield would have been right on the front line. :o

A bit like when Wednesday play United in derby match these days. lol

Plus he's wearing a crown. He thinks (or he is) the King of Deira. We've got royalty on the site! Eyup.

Plus he's wearing a crown. He thinks (or he is) the King of Deira. We've got royalty on the site! Eyup.

With his name being John I thought the avitar was a picture of King John, - The one that the Barons made to agree to the terms of the Magna Carta in 1215.

he he Afraid the truth is more boring guys- I'm a Sheffielder in Sheffield!!:o

I just happen to love history and so used the old region of Deira (arguably Yorkshire/S.Northumbria)!

The avatar is the king (Richard I played by John Rhys-Davies) in the great 80's series "Robin of Sherwood".

I like your answers better though!

Hmmm...

I heard a lecture by a local archaeologist a little while ago at which he expounded the theory that the meeting recorded on the village green at Dore is in the wrong place, and should be on the ridge above Ringinglow Road, overlooking Whirlow, at a place anciently called the Stowperstocke, which was regarded as part of Dore Moor. It's the hill near The Smeltings, where later there was a bole furnace.

This year(827) was the moon eclipsed, on mid-winter's mass-night; and King Egbert, in the course of the same year, conquered the Mercian kingdom, and all that is south of the Humber, being the eighth king who was sovereign of all the British dominions. Ella, king of the South-Saxons, was the first who possessed so large a territory; the second was Ceawlin, king of the West-Saxons: the third was Ethelbert, King of Kent; the fourth was Redwald, king of the East-Angles; the fifth was Edwin, king of the Northumbrians; the sixth was Oswald, who succeeded him; the seventh was Oswy, the brother of Oswald; the eighth was Egbert, king of the West-Saxons. This same Egbert led an army against the Northumbrians as far as Dore, where they met him, and offered terms of obedience and subjection, on the acceptance of which they returned home. (Anglo Saxon Chronicle)

he he Afraid the truth is more boring guys- I'm a Sheffielder in Sheffield!!:o

I just happen to love history and so used the old region of Deira (arguably Yorkshire/S.Northumbria)!

The avatar is the king (Richard I played by John Rhys-Davies) in the great 80's series "Robin of Sherwood".

I like your answers better though!

Well I was close, John was Richard I younger brother.

But then again, your name is John and not Richard lol