N.ord.s.e.

Mark House

On a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment for some reason, must be middle age.... Does anyone remember the Naval Ordnance Services Establishment, Janson Street, Attercliffe? I was a Technician Apprentice there from 79 to 83 and have some great memories of the place, and of living in Sheffield. N.Ord.S.E was full of really highly-skilled people making gauges to tolerances one tenth of the norm, calibrating instruments, materials testing and lots more. I think the place was demolished in the late 80's but can find hardly any information. I would really appreciate your stories and pics of the place. It was a time when Attercliffe was still industrial, well it was gradually dying but was putting up a fight. I remember going to the Lambpool or the Wellington every day for a couple of pints and a buttie, even though we only had half an hour for lunch. Last time I was in the area I was horrified by all the horrible fancy offices and the Meadowhall thing. I like industrial landscapes and felt at home in Attercliffe, as was.

Look forward to hearing from someone!

MH

On a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment for some reason, must be middle age.... Does anyone remember the Naval Ordnance Services Establishment, Janson Street, Attercliffe? I was a Technician Apprentice there from 79 to 83 and have some great memories of the place, and of living in Sheffield. N.Ord.S.E was full of really highly-skilled people making gauges to tolerances one tenth of the norm, calibrating instruments, materials testing and lots more. I think the place was demolished in the late 80's but can find hardly any information. I would really appreciate your stories and pics of the place. It was a time when Attercliffe was still industrial, well it was gradually dying but was putting up a fight. I remember going to the Lambpool or the Wellington every day for a couple of pints and a buttie, even though we only had half an hour for lunch. Last time I was in the area I was horrified by all the horrible fancy offices and the Meadowhall thing. I like industrial landscapes and felt at home in Attercliffe, as was.

Look forward to hearing from someone!

MH

I worked at English Steel 1960-1967 & I remember it as it was very near Hawke St Planing Shop . Had a friend who worked there but can't remember his name (age catching up !). I seem to remember we all called it "The Admiralty".

Thereare several photos of Janson St on Picture Sheffield. There's one of the Lambpool, and some group photos of staff at the Ordnance place. - a bit before your time though, 1910!

Thanks John, never thought of doing a search for 'Admiralty'.

Cheers Bayleaf, thanks for the pointer.

Guest Gramps

Hi Mark, I knew someone who worked at the 'Admiralty' about the time you mention. His name was Danny Riley - short, tubby, silver haired - he would be about sixty years old in 1980 had a son called Adrian.

Hi Mark, I knew someone who worked at the 'Admiralty' about the time you mention. His name was Danny Riley - short, tubby, silver haired - he would be about sixty years old in 1980 had a son called Adrian.

Hi Gramps,

I might remember the person you are talking about - he fits the description but I seem to remember this person in my memory being called Dougie Riley. However after 30 years I could well be wrong. I do remember going with him, and a couple of others, to his Working Mens Club in order to sup cheap beer! Can't remember which club though.

Cheers

Mark

Guest Gramps

Your memory is better than mine Mark lol

The Mr. Riley I remember used to organise the snooker matches at the club on Idsworth road.

I worked at English Steel 1960-1967 & I remember it as it was very near Hawke St Planing Shop . Had a friend who worked there but can't remember his name (age catching up !). I seem to remember we all called it "The Admiralty".

Hi Mark, I was there at the same time, same course. Chris Martin. Use the name Euroman as I now live in France but work in Holland. Good to see that someone has good memories of those years, me too. Obviously an age thing, have also just done family tree. Good to read your entry

Guest wondarby

Hi Mark, I was there at the same time, same course. Chris Martin. Use the name Euroman as I now live in France but work in Holland. Good to see that someone has good memories of those years, me too. Obviously an age thing, have also just done family tree. Good to read your entry

I was at NOID between the years 1959-1965. I was an apprentice Gauge & Toolmaker. I left England in 1966 and now live in Australia. If you require any information, names etc. about this period of time, get back to me. My memory is starting to fade, but I do remember some things. I tried to find the old place on my many returns back to England, and was always dissappointed that it had disappeared; no-one I knew seemed to be able to tell me how or when.

Guest Mike Grist

I worked at Bragg Laboratory from about 1972 up to its closure in 1984.

The Bragg Lab name specifically referred to the two storey building at the back of the Naval Ordnance services Establishment and in it's later years had no real service connection to the Navy business in the main buildings. The Bragg Lab was technically called MQAD ie the Materials Quality Assurance Directorate and as such did metals analysis for all parts of the armed forces (not just Navy) because it was part of the MOD Procurement Executive. In practice MQAD Bragg Lab was an "out station" administered from HQ in Woolwich Arsenal West.

When Bragg Lab closed some of the younger staff transferred to HQ however most of the older analysts didn't bother and many of the married ladies didn't either because in most cases their husbands had steady jobs in Sheffield. This of course was probably the main object of closure as it was a time when Governments (particularly Thatcher's) wanted to reduce the size of the Civil Service. At that time if you were graded at Scientific Officer or above you were difficult to get rid of, but the rules did allow for you to be offered "alternative transfer" to other MOD establishments. I was offered three choices, ie Woolwich HQ, Bishopton (near Glasgow) and Moenchengladbach ! If you refused the choices you technically resigned.

Out of the 30 or so staff at Bragg Lab I reckon about 10 or so stayed with the MOD, most of those going to Woolwich (me included)

The Bragg Lab shared facilities with the Naval Ordnance services Establishment which "back in the day" included a medical room with nurse(s) and a canteen meal service. If you were high enough up in the pecking order you were "invited" to join the "officers mess" a nearly secret society with their own mess room and run on services lines with a mess manager, locked drinks cabinet and pictures of the Queen on the wall. Old habits died hard.

Whilst there was an official enterence at the front of the building this was rarely used, most employees entered via the rear entrance, through the rear gates and entrance was only by waving your MOD pass to the "security" on the gate. Being a Naval Establishment the entrance here also had a flag pole and flag (half mast when disaster struck somewhere) plus a ship's figurehead called Scylla (a screw corvette if memory serves). I often wonder where Scylla ended up. I didn't see the final destruction of MQAD and the NOSE as I was one of the advance party that went to Woolwich.

By the time of the outbreak of the First World War, Sheffield had become a vital part of the war effort, especially for the Admiralty ...who not only placed MASSIVE orders for guns, shells,armour plate, gun shields and hoods as well as for torpedo components and ship engine propeller shafts etc etc but they also funded much research into materials in the eternal battle between armour plate and armour piercing shells.

Because of this the Admiralty had established an office at 123, Surrey Street as well as the Inspection Department on Janson Street.

Hi Mark

I am still in touch with a number of people you may remember from those days, Tony Thelwell (Thel), Peter Adams (Smad), Mick (now likes to be known as Mike) Watson and Mark Siddons (Sid). 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2018 at 08:09, Andy Jackson said:

Hi Mark

I am still in touch with a number of people you may remember from those days, Tony Thelwell (Thel), Peter Adams (Smad), Mick (now likes to be known as Mike) Watson and Mark Siddons (Sid). 

Hi Jacko!

Course I remember those you all! The only person I am in touch with from then is Dobbin (Phil Wood), In fact I visited him in Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

I'll PM you my email address, we must hold a re-union!

Apps79.jpg

Apps83.jpg

I had a man working for me as a service engineer by the name of Criss Morris who had worked at Jansen St. He had been transferred to Faslane submarine base for a time before coming back to Sheffield. He was a good electrical / electronic engineer. I was sad to lose him when he went to work at Jacobs Chucks for a higher wage than the boss would pay. Another minus thing for him was the company car tax he had to pay. He showed me figures he had collected on his car i.e. Tax, insurance, servicing, depreciation etc. that proved he had paid more in tax than the car had cost the company!