Free Dvd Player Software

hilldweller

I've been looking around for software to install on my laptop in order to play Video DVD's.

There appear to be loads of free offerings on the t'internet but when I've looked into them they either cause my security software to have kittens, or they inform in the terms and conditions that the program contains monitoring nasties.

Does anyone know of a good,simple, program; cheap or free that works ?

HD

I've been looking around for software to install on my laptop in order to play Video DVD's.

There appear to be loads of free offerings on the t'internet but when I've looked into them they either cause my security software to have kittens, or they inform in the terms and conditions that the program contains monitoring nasties.

Does anyone know of a good,simple, program; cheap or free that works ?

HD

I've been using VLC Media Player for years with no problem (link below) not only is it a good player but once installed you can still use Windows Media Player as your default player if you wish.

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html?tag=mncol

If for any reason you are missing and video codecs there is a link below for codecs pack ...... both downloads are free!

http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html?tag=mncol

I've been using VLC Media Player for years with no problem (link below) not only is it a good player but once installed you can still use Windows Media Player as your default player if you wish.

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html?tag=mncol

If for any reason you are missing and video codecs there is a link below for codecs pack ...... both downloads are free!

http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10794603.html?tag=mncol

Thanks dr stanley

I've downloaded it and it works a treat. I'm presently watching The Curse of the Were Rabbit which says something about my state of mind you might think.

Thanks once again.

Hilldweller

I'll second that. I use Windows Media player as default and VLC for anything that WMP rejects.

Can't fault it.

I'll second that. I use Windows Media player as default and VLC for anything that WMP rejects.

Can't fault it.

Got to join in here, VLC excellent program

Got to join in here, VLC excellent program

Also use VLC player (why is their icon a road traffic cone :blink: ) but also have the free version of RealPlayer which seems to work a treat.

Of course Windows Media Player is OK for most stuff but as I have the 2005 Media Centre version of Windows XP it tends to open Media Centre as default for DVD's unless you tell it otherwise.

Also use VLC player (why is their icon a road traffic cone :blink: ) but also have the free version of RealPlayer which seems to work a treat.

Of course Windows Media Player is OK for most stuff but as I have the 2005 Media Centre version of Windows XP it tends to open Media Centre as default for DVD's unless you tell it otherwise.

Well that seems to be a good vote for VLC

Also use VLC player (why is their icon a road traffic cone :blink: )

I sort of assumed that the cone symbolised "work" being carried out. VLC has a lot of "tools" for working with video codecs, file types etc. as well as just being a good player.

Might as well add my two penneth.

I've used VLC for ages. It plays almost anything you throw at it!

including -.Mp3, mp4, avi, DivX, Xvid, and even .mkv which very few players can handle.

A full list here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

You can have fun playing with the advanced controls too! Slowing down and speeding up MP3's he he

I sort of assumed that the cone symbolised "work" being carried out. VLC has a lot of "tools" for working with video codecs, file types etc. as well as just being a good player.

I sort of assumed that the cone symbolised hold ups, traffic jams and delays in getting where you wanted to be.

That's why I thought it was a strange icon to have on such a good piece of software.

Thanks dr stanley

I've downloaded it and it works a treat. I'm presently watching The Curse of the Were Rabbit which says something about my state of mind you might think.

Thanks once again.

Hilldweller

The VLC software works extremely well even allowing my tiny netbook to show perfect video when used with a USB DVD drive..

However I've hit a snag and I wonder if one of you computer whiz-kids can sort it out.

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of my modem router. The update file is zipped and when I try to unzip it it unzips it to a file with the VLC icon and with a .bin extension which my router refuses to accept. VLC also tries to play it as a video. I've looked in the lists of associations in VLC but I can't even see a .bin listed there. Short of removing VLC while I install the upgrade, has anyone any ideas ?

Hilldweller

The VLC software works extremely well even allowing my tiny netbook to show perfect video when used with a USB DVD drive..

However I've hit a snag and I wonder if one of you computer whiz-kids can sort it out.

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of my modem router. The update file is zipped and when I try to unzip it it unzips it to a file with the VLC icon and with a .bin extension which my router refuses to accept. VLC also tries to play it as a video. I've looked in the lists of associations in VLC but I can't even see a .bin listed there. Short of removing VLC while I install the upgrade, has anyone any ideas ?

Hilldweller

I did notice having installed VLC that some of my files hidden deep away inside the system in places like the Windows folder and the System 32 folder (the sort of folders you are not advised to fiddle around with) had changed their icons to the VLC cone.

Clearly these are not, as the system now reports, VLC Media Files, as some of them are only a few bytes long.

I have had a quick check and all the files having this VLC icon which you would not expect to have appear to be .bin (binary) files.

Apart from this both VLC and all other applications on my computer which use these files appear to be working normally. VLC does not try to open these files unless you tell it to.

You could try (no responsibility accepted) right clicking the VLC file and from the menu which comes up selecting either "Open with" to tell it to open with some other program of your choice or going to "Properties" and doing something similar on the summary tab.

If this works you may have to reverse the changes made after you have done your update to get VLC to accept the .bin files again.

Hilldweller

I have had a quick look at my VLC and as you say there is no mention of .bin association, however I think this may be a red herring as it should be unimportant to the task you are attempting.

• Do you know what file extension the router is expecting, obviously its not the .bin.
  • Are you using winzip or xp to un compress the file.
  • If you are using winzip you should be able to see the file before you uncompress it.
  • Try renaming the file with the correct extension

What make of router do you have, let me know the exact model and I will have a go at down loading the update to see what happens.

What make of router do you have, let me know the exact model and I will have a go at down loading the update to see what happens.

When my router, a NETGEAR one, last updated it didn.t involve downloading and istalling a file like this.

It just checked for updates and when I clicked on yes it just downloaded and installed all by itself. It did this from the actual router. I don't think it even involved the computer, other than to display what the router was doing, at all. After all, the router is itself directly connected to the Internet, data has to pass through it to get to the computer.

As far as I know the router updates are part of the router firmware and as such are stored in memory inside the router, not on the computer.

This means that if the router is removed and installed on a totally different network it would still retain the updates.

I have had a quick look at my VLC and as you say there is no mention of .bin association, however I think this may be a red herring as it should be unimportant to the task you are attempting.

• Do you know what file extension the router is expecting, obviously its not the .bin.
  • Are you using winzip or xp to un compress the file.
  • If you are using winzip you should be able to see the file before you uncompress it.
  • Try renaming the file with the correct extension

I am using XP to unzip the file and the router is a Philips CGA5722/05. To upgrade the firmware you have to first download the upgrade file on to your PC and then browse from the router to the file and run it from the router. I haven't tried to rename the file because I don't know what it is supposed to be called.

HD

When my router, a NETGEAR one, last updated it didn.t involve downloading and istalling a file like this.

It just checked for updates and when I clicked on yes it just downloaded and installed all by itself. It did this from the actual router. I don't think it even involved the computer, other than to display what the router was doing, at all. After all, the router is itself directly connected to the Internet, data has to pass through it to get to the computer.

As far as I know the router updates are part of the router firmware and as such are stored in memory inside the router, not on the computer.

This means that if the router is removed and installed on a totally different network it would still retain the updates.

That could be your answer HD, update direct from the router if possible.

Though I have just checked my router and assumes you have previously downloaded the updated firmware to your PC 1st.

I am using XP to unzip the file and the router is a Philips CGA5722/05. To upgrade the firmware you have to first download the upgrade file on to your PC and then browse from the router to the file and run it from the router. I haven't tried to rename the file because I don't know what it is supposed to be called.

HD

hilldweller,

rename the file (CGA5722-A-FW0_69.bin) by removing the .bin (that is dot bin) of the end,

then you will have to select 'properties' then 'unblock'

It should work then.

PS an incorrect firmware upgrade can render the router useless.

hilldweller,

rename the file (CGA5722-A-FW0_69.bin) by removing the .bin (that is dot bin) of the end,

then you will have to select 'properties' then 'unblock'

It should work then.

PS an incorrect firmware upgrade can render the router useless.

I'm all too aware of the hazards of firmware upgrades and on balance I think I might leave well alone. My thinking was that when Ranmoor exchange is upgraded to ADSL2+ I might go mad and upgrade my broadband. According to my handbook the router only goes up to 8Mb/s and I thought an upgrade might do the trick. I've emailed Philips but so far had no reply. I think that when Ranmoor is enabled I might treat myself to a nice new Netgear one instead. Thank-you for all your replies.

Hilldweller

P. S.

Is it just me but the posting dates on my screen seem to have changed to meaningless multi-digit numbers ?

Is it just me but the posting dates on my screen seem to have changed to meaningless multi-digit numbers ?

I see the same hilldweller

I'm all too aware of the hazards of firmware upgrades and on balance I think I might leave well alone. My thinking was that when Ranmoor exchange is upgraded to ADSL2+ I might go mad and upgrade my broadband. According to my handbook the router only goes up to 8Mb/s and I thought an upgrade might do the trick. I've emailed Philips but so far had no reply. I think that when Ranmoor is enabled I might treat myself to a nice new Netgear one instead. Thank-you for all your replies.

Hilldweller

Old saying 'If it's not broke don't fix it' :)

I have just taken a look at some of my files, and guess what ..

The saved backup of my wireless router configuration now looks like this;

When it should look like this;

It appears that VLC player is adding the' .bin ' file extension to some files.

Arn't computers marvelous things.

Hilldweller

P. S.

Ranmoor Exchange ! When I was at BT I would visit most exchanges, outside normal working hours for emergencies, Ranmoor was always a bit spooky when it was dark. Years ago an engineer hung himself on the staircase, it was always at the back of your mind.

Back to subject, I have downloaded the same zip file as you did and its definitely a .bin file. As Steve says if it aint broke don't fix it, wait for the upgrade to your broadband and treat yourself to a new router

What sort of speeds are they talking about?

Ranmoor Exchange ! When I was at BT I would visit most exchanges, outside normal working hours for emergencies, Ranmoor was always a bit spooky when it was dark. Years ago an engineer hung himself on the staircase, it was always at the back of your mind.

Back to subject, I have downloaded the same zip file as you did and its definitely a .bin file. As Steve says if it aint broke don't fix it, wait for the upgrade to your broadband and treat yourself to a new router

What sort of speeds are they talking about?

I haven't gone into that at present but I am currently getting Speedtest.net test speeds of between 4 and 5.5 Mb/s on a up to 8 Mb/s line. Which for the little bit of pootling around I do is really sufficient. Various tests tell me I'm about 2.5 kms from the exchange but it's about that as the crow flies so the cable route must be pretty direct.

HD

P. S.

Am I missing something here?

Steve reports this same problem but the posting dates and times appear to be OK to me.

Am I missing something here?

Steve reports this same problem but the posting dates and times appear to be OK to me.

On the main board/page

Ranmoor was always a bit spooky when it was dark. Years ago an engineer hung himself on the staircase, it was always at the back of your mind.

I ain't affraid of no ghosts! B)

Just shows what a boring, miserable depressing job being a BT telephone engineer nust be if it can drive a bloke to suicide. lol

What did he hang himself with, - telephone wire?

Was he "hanging on the telephone"? :o

He could have "hung up" just by relacing the reciever on the base unit. lol