Furnival Gate Underpass

DaveH

me too...

*whistles, innocently*

Now if the film was made in 1955-6 then me and Stuart can't remember it. :unsure:

At the time we were probably just coming into the world in a local maternity hospital :rolleyes:

Ain't that cute! ;-) ;-)

Guest Tigeratplay

A bit before my time, but great video clips!

I think the Hole In The Road was the King of Underpasses and the further you got away from that, the more ropey they were. However, I feel it's a shame they didn't preserve the Furnival Gate Undepass, as it wasn't in bad nick and could be accessed by ramp or steps. The Wash and Brush Up Toilets were much better than those stinking things near the Manpower Services building (gross). The underpass could have been locked off at night to prevent vandalism, etc... This was part of Sheffield's history and could have been enhanced... :angry:

A bit before my time, but great video clips!

I think the Hole In The Road was the King of Underpasses and the further you got away from that, the more ropey they were. However, I feel it's a shame they didn't preserve the Furnival Gate Undepass, as it wasn't in bad nick and could be accessed by ramp or steps. The Wash and Brush Up Toilets were much better than those stinking things near the Manpower Services building (gross). The underpass could have been locked off at night to prevent vandalism, etc... This was part of Sheffield's history and could have been enhanced... :angry:

I agree on that. ;-)

Although I would have prefered them to keep The Hole In The Road

As you say, it was the King of underpasses.

Bottom photo

Those frames are for trees, the frame is split - when they plane the tree they take the frame up, plant the tree, then put the frame back down around the tree then they can infill with whatever they please.

Seems like Stuart was spot on with his identification of these structures.

I noticed today that this work is now complete.

There is no new underpass / subway :angry:

However, the bottom section of Furnival Gate between Moorhead and Arundel Gate is now an avenue of small trees.

Haven't took a picture yet be will attempt to get one in the summer when the trees may be a bit bigger and at least they will by then have leaves on.

Furnival Gate may end up like more like Furnival Avenue, - a tradition avenue that is of a roadway lined on both sides with trees.

What was it Stuart once said about Sheffield has too much green and too many trees to allow you to take a good photo without them getting in the way. <_<

Charter Square,

would have taken more photos, but ran out of battery power.

No idea what this is, do they have carpet bowls

and bar billiards ?

Guest sheff71

My first post on here (having found the site via Sheffield Forum, and the thread about what you miss about The Moor...)

I was confused at the start of this thread too, as I remember when they filled in the subways and underpass at Furnival Gate roundabout - I worked in Furnival House throughout the 1990s (overlooking the roundabout and having the old Redgates building above it) - it was a shame that was filled in, it was a quick route over to Office World on the other side of Eyre Street! If only we had the mobile phones with great cameras on back then, we could've got some great photos...

On a side note, does anyone remember when the actual road underpass itself was closed - I have memories of driving along it towards the Crucible, and it's such a shame that it went - none of those namby pamby modern crossings you get on there now!

As for the actual proper subway at Moorhead where the roadworks were going on in the OP, it's hard to believe they closed this now - when you think of all the hassle with pedestrians crossing at the old McDonalds to the British Heart Foundation shop (no idea what they are now!). It's not like they were particularly dangerous, especially with the flow of pedestrians. They should've taken the chance to dig it all out!

The Boots subway at Fargate was great, you could get straight downstairs to the basement, where all the computer games were kept... :)

Another subway (i've not seen on here) running from the foot of the Parkway heading towards the M1 (between the quayside offices, at the end of South Quay Drive) and running under the Parkway, coming out at Blast Lane where the newish flats are, near Granellis...

One good thing - with the likes of Google streetview, there's no reason for any of the current Sheffield landmarks (whatever they may be!) to disappear from memory, as presumably someone will have these images stored away for future historians... :) I wonder if the current Sheffield archives would be updated on a regular basis with these images?

Whether in 2052 there'll be hundreds of posts, fondly remembering Poundland, the Vodafone shop or Bright House on The Moor back in 2012, is unlikely though... lol