Furnival Gate Underpass

DaveH

Guest Tigeratplay

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post these pictures tigeratplay.

Nice pair of images of a forgotten part of Sheffield.

I'm famous! My pictures on the Net!! I took a few more pics of my daring journey that day and will try and post them at some point, if the computer will let me. I felt a bit daft taking those photo's, but when you look at it, this is part of Sheffield's History, if only to serve how things were once done, and perhaps, due to our ever-changing times, how not to design and build for padestrians of today...

I have recently bought some great books that have brilliant photos of the City Centre in them from the 1960's - onwards, called;

"The Shopaholics Guide To 1970's Sheffield"

"Wrigley's Sheffield - The Camera Man Is Back"

Well worth checking out...

Guest Tigeratplay

Yes the stone stairway was at the far end (furthest from Pond Hill and the Odeon cinema)

It was more open and exposed and zig zagged backwards and forwards a bit to allow for a landing on each floor of the multi storey car park.

I think part of it is visible here on the end of the Fiesta building directly below the word Fiesta.

:blink:Yes, that's the one! As soon as you climb those concrete spiral stairs, the smell will guide you!!

Guest Tigeratplay

Would this be the escalator past the cinecenta above Pond Street bus station in 1970

The times I fell down that escalator gawping at the Cinecenta sign and it's pattern of flashing lights!

The times I fell down that escalator gawping at the Cinecenta sign and it's pattern of flashing lights!

Not gawping at the adverts to see what naughty adult X-rated (18 rated) they were going to show next then! ;-) lol

I took a few more pics of my daring journey that day and will try and post them at some point, if the computer will let me. I felt a bit daft taking those photo's, but when you look at it, this is part of Sheffield's History, if only to serve how things were once done, and perhaps, due to our ever-changing times, how not to design and build for padestrians of today.

Well, if you look around the site I have posted quite a few pictures of Sheffield taken in the last 2 years for that very reason.

Yes you feel a bit daft doing it, - especially when people stop to talk to you.

It can also be a little bit more than "daring" as well, in fact "dangerous" fits the bill more accurately at times.

I know my friend Stuart0742 has had abuse hurled at him while photographing Manor Top, and he ended up in a conversation with the City idiot about why he was taking pictures of a house at Abbeydale and what right he had to do so.

I have had less direct hassle but have taken the risk of photographing the Manor estate and parts of Wybourn, - a dangerous thing to do in that area.

In fact for my daring vox awarded me the 2009 "Manortheyear" award.

We would love to see more of your pictures Tigeratplay, - but take care of your safety while taking the pictures.

Guest Tigeratplay

Not gawping at the adverts to see what naughty adult X-rated (18 rated) they were going to show next then! ;-)lol

Me? Nooooooooo!! B) I notice the area infront of what was Cinecenta is closed off. Maybe this could make for a fantastic 1960's, 70's & 80s museum / cafe' and have views over Park Hall flats to complete the picture..? Might put some life back into that part of the City...

Me? Nooooooooo!! B) I notice the area infront of what was Cinecenta is closed off. Maybe this could make for a fantastic 1960's, 70's & 80s museum / cafe' and have views over Park Hall flats to complete the picture..? Might put some life back into that part of the City...

The loss of Pond Street bus station and it's conversion into that interchange, along with the continued expansion of Sheffield College of Technology, oops sorry, Sheffield Polytechnic, oops no, sorry again Sheffield Hallam University across Pond street may spoil your desired period view.

Guest Tigeratplay

Would be nice if they did breathe some life back into that part of the Arundel Gate / Pond St complex, as it did once serve a useful purpose. Does seem to be in a lost world of its own these days and yet in the City Centre...

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember the very steep steps which went from Pond Street up to Arundel Lane and out onto Arundel Street ?

They were the "short cut" from the bus station to the Library and Fargate area. I remember them from being very young so it would be early 50's but I can't remember at what point in time they disappeared.

I've not seen them on any old photos either.

OS Map 4

Slightly off topic but does anyone remember the very steep steps which went from Pond Street up to Arundel Lane and out onto Arundel Street ?

They were the "short cut" from the bus station to the Library and Fargate area. I remember them from being very young so it would be early 50's but I can't remember at what point in time they disappeared.

OS Map 4

Probably disappeared when they built the College of Technology (Hallam University) and the adjoining buildings which became the Fiesta / Cinecenta etc complex.

Interesting map that,

The building at the top right which is clearly from its shape and entrances a set of (closed & long gone) public toilets is labelled as "Lavs" (short for lavatories).

Not come across that bit of colloquial shorthand before.

Guest Gramps

Yes - I mentioned them here.

I used them in the 40s/50s. I believe they were a right of way that had to be preserved when all the alterations took place and the right of way was preserved in the staircase access to the car-park and the escalator up from the bus station.

There are no photos on the Sheffield Picture site but there is one in one of the many Sheffield 'picture' books - I forget which now.

Probably disappeared when they built the College of Technology (Hallam University) and the adjoining buildings which became the Fiesta / Cinecenta etc complex.

Interesting map that,

The building at the top right which is clearly from its shape and entrances a set of (closed & long gone) public toilets is labelled as "Lavs" (short for lavatories).

Not come across that bit of colloquial shorthand before.

The Godfrey map of Hunter's Bar has all the ones in Endcliffe Park marked as 'latrines'. Conjures up a picture of trenches with a 'sitting pole'...

Yes - I mentioned them here.

I used them in the 40s/50s. I believe they were a right of way that had to be preserved when all the alterations took place and the right of way was preserved in the staircase access to the car-park and the escalator up from the bus station.

There are no photos on the Sheffield Picture site but there is one in one of the many Sheffield 'picture' books - I forget which now.

They were very steep weren't they. Probably seemed even more so to me at such a young age.

Do I remember that they had a tubular steel banister going up the center ?

The Godfrey map of Hunter's Bar has all the ones in Endcliffe Park marked as 'latrines'. Conjures up a picture of trenches with a 'sitting pole'...

Sure does Bayleaf, isn't a latrine little more than an open cesspit :o

Buy the way I always call it a toilet, but a southern friend of mine says this is a course, vulgar word and it should be "lavatory" which they always use.

I see it the other way around, - "toilet" is the more polite word to use.

Guest Gramps

They were very steep weren't they. Probably seemed even more so to me at such a young age.

Do I remember that they had a tubular steel banister going up the center ?

Yes, I remember the handrail. What I don't remember is that bit of what looks like a little park with a path and trees in the plan you posted.

On the 1903 plan there was a fair bit of housing in the yards off the landings. I think most of it was demolished when the Council straightened the line of Flat street and Pond street.

I remember those 'lavs' too, but it was pretty imaginative to call that a bus station !! I would think that photo is taken from the steps.

Guest Gramps

The bit what looks like a little park

picturesheffield

A bit doubtful about the date of that....were the platforms covered over by 1950 ? But a nice view of the hanging gardens of Pond street which I do remember.

This seems to be a better view of the little 'park'...but I still don't remember it

picturesheffield s15888

The hanging gardens of Pond street.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s15888

Hanging Gardens of Pond Street!! :blink:

They must have been the 8th wonder of the ancient world

However, as this picture has a decade date of the 1960's perhaps the gardens are not as long gone as we thought.

A bit doubtful about the date of that....were the platforms covered over by 1950 ?

I thought that at first Gramps but the1950 tag is probably just the decade.

I think I remember the sheds being built so it must have been mid to late 50's.

I did a quick Google but I didn't find anything with a build date for the sheds.

Transport people please --

I thought that at first Gramps but the1950 tag is probably just the decade.

I think I remember the sheds being built so it must have been mid to late 50's.

I did a quick Google but I didn't find anything with a build date for the sheds.

Transport people please --

Stuart added a link to a film showing the construction of the Pond St Bus Sheds,

here's a link to his post .. A short film recording the building of Pond St in 1955/6

Guest Gramps

Stuart added a link to a film showing the construction of the Pond St Bus Sheds,

here's a link to his post .. A short film recording the building of Pond St in 1955/6

Great film.....'elf & safety would have kittens watching that these days he he

And I see now the date given on the Picture Sheffield site refers to the decade (but it is in very small writing)- so apologies for the red herrings.