Furnival Gate Underpass

DaveH

Why is it that when there is a bit of maths to be done, - but to calculate something hypothetical and totally stupid (like a hole through the centre of the Earth) it's always ME that gets nominated to do it? :rolleyes:<_<

because you are a teacher and clever, not like us thickies lol

because you are a teacher and clever, not like us thickies lol

Yes, but the questions are always stupid and never sensible. <_<

I suppose it says something about me that I take them on and try to answer them :unsure::o

After all, a stupid question deserves a stupid answer :P

How many subways / underpasses are still open?

I think there are a quite a few, - especially if you count ones like the one on Hollinsend Road near the church which just enables you to cross under Ridgeway Road, although, as wayneybabes has pointed out in another topic, the one at Manor Top is long gone.

In town there is the St. Mary's gate subway complex which looks a bit like a poor version of the hole in the road.

There is a subway under Moore street.

There is the one under the very top of London Road, and it's link back towards Moorfoot and the Aztec temple.

OK, - we could start a list of current subways

Or even 2 lists, - another one for those which are closed, long gone, but fondly remembered.

St. Mary's Gate subway, - still open.

Quite a nice "open" type of subway and very useful for getting into town from that new pay and display area at the end of Charlotte Road.

I do like this subway layout, - can't think why I described it as a "poor man's hole in the road"

Perhaps it was just the similarity in looks and structure but that' it's not as big and impressive as the hole in the road was.

I think there are a quite a few, - especially if you count ones like the one on Hollinsend Road near the church which just enables you to cross under Ridgeway Road, although, as wayneybabes has pointed out in another topic, the one at Manor Top is long gone.

In town there is the St. Mary's gate subway complex which looks a bit like a poor version of the hole in the road.

There is the one under the very top of London Road, and it's link back towards Moorfoot and the Aztec temple.

Or even 2 lists, - another one for those which are closed, long gone, but fondly remembered.

Unfortunately there isn't any more

The one on Moore Street appears to have been filled in replaced with a zebra crossing (or is it a Pelican or a Puffin crossing or some other type of crossing designed for birds with big beaks, - Toucan play at that).

Never realised this one had gone until I went to check it out.

Underpass at the very top of London Road, - still open

Hollinsend Road underpass.

I have posted these pictures in another topic previously, but for completeness, -

Yes, but the questions are always stupid and never sensible. <_<

I suppose it says something about me that I take them on and try to answer them :unsure::o

After all, a stupid question deserves a stupid answer :P

I'll correct myself there, A stupid question needs to be followed with an equally stupid one.

So lets see if Stuart0742 can answer these, -

If a suitable section of Sheffield subway was placed from a hut in Stalag - Luft III POW camp, out under the fence and on into some nearby woods.

Would this have enabled more of the prisoners to make it out in "The Great Escape"?

Would it have been possible to diguise the camp end of it by hiding it under a heating stove in one of the huts or a vaulting horse?

If all the excavated material removed of in building this "underpass" was disposed of by emptying it down your trousers leg as you walked about,

What depth of debris would there be in the camp?

Would Charles Bronson, the claustraphobic tunneler, still have suffered claustraphobia in this tunnel of more generous proportions?

Where did the real great escape prisoners get all that seven and a half inch guage railway track from that they used in the tunnel?

Would Donald Pleasence, the blind forger, be able to see his way out a bit better?

Would Steve McQueen, the American show off, be able to drive a motorbike through it before attempting to jump the Swiss border triple wired fence?

Would the German guards be more likely to find it?

Once in the tunnel would they be mugged, sold a biro and a box of matches or a copy of the Big Issue before reaching the end of it.

Would they be able to build some shops, some toilets and a large fish tank inside the tunnel?

Now I've come out with all those stupid questions I can't actually walk through a subway without whistling that theme tune!! lol

Guest suzy

The underpass (subway) on Bochum Parkway is due to be filled in shortly, on completion of the current highway inprovements by Sheffield Council.

Another one bites the dust then! :huh:

That could be the start of a new topic, if all the old subways of Sheffield were laid end to end how long would the tunnel be, answer that DaveH lol

The answer is a lot less than the 22 miles that would be required to put them under the English Channel from Dover to Calais and start our own channel tunnel service :(

Guest plain talker

back sort of on topic,

there are "pedestrian underpasses" still in existence on Prince of Wales road, near the Lower Manor Shops, and at the Prince of Wales road Junction with the Parkway.

there are also (many) underpasses around the Tinsley roundabout, just over the back from the Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop.

DaveH linked to the set of underpasses at the St Mary's Gate roundabout.

There are more underpasses in the city centre like that one:- one by Waitrose, at the junctions of Ecclesall Road/Upper Hanover Street/ St MAry's Gate/ Moore Street and another outside Debenhams, at the Charter Row/ Carver Street/ Furnival Gate junction.

Still in the city centre, there's still the underpass through to the back of flat street, near the Crucible.

There's another underpass at the Netherthorpe Road Tramstop.

The underpass outside Boots on the high Street is long gone. and let's not start lamenting the loss of the HITR... :( (I'd never stop!)

There was another underpass which is partially gone, by the Odeon (The old Fiesta club) which went along the back of the Polytechnic Sheffield Hallam Uni/...

back sort of on topic,

there are "pedestrian underpasses" still in existence on Prince of Wales road, near the Lower Manor Shops, and at the Prince of Wales road Junction with the Parkway.

there are also (many) underpasses around the Tinsley roundabout, just over the back from the Meadowhall South/Tinsley tram stop.

DaveH linked to the set of underpasses at the St Mary's Gate roundabout.

There are more underpasses in the city centre like that one:- one by Waitrose, at the junctions of Ecclesall Road/Upper Hanover Street/ St MAry's Gate/ Moore Street and another outside Debenhams, at the Charter Row/ Carver Street/ Furnival Gate junction.

Still in the city centre, there's still the underpass through to the back of flat street, near the Crucible.

There's another underpass at the Netherthorpe Road Tramstop.

The underpass outside Boots on the high Street is long gone. and let's not start lamenting the loss of the HITR... :( (I'd never stop!)

There was another underpass which is partially gone, by the Odeon (The old Fiesta club) which went along the back of the Polytechnic Sheffield Hallam Uni/...

Thanks for the update plaintalker, - not heard from you for a while.

I am sure there must still be many underpasses remaining in Sheffield and perhaps this could be a place for us to list them.

Guest plain talker

Thanks for the update plaintalker, - not heard from you for a while.

I am sure there must still be many underpasses remaining in Sheffield and perhaps this could be a place for us to list them.

thanks, DaveH

Been out of commission for a while, had heart surgery... :( feeling much better now though.

thanks, DaveH

Been out of commission for a while, had heart surgery... :( feeling much better now though.

Sorry to hear you have not been well plaintalker.

Welcome back to Sheffield History, look forward to hearing more from you.

Guest Tigeratplay

I found myself being a bit nosey the other day and thought I'd take a short cut to the Bus Station from Arundel Gate down to Pond Street, via the subway that goes past the Odeon Cinema inbetween that and the Asssets Building next door...

I have to say that you soon find yourself in a little bit of 1960's utopia that gets the adrenalin racing, as it is very scary down there!!!! Those narrow steps, wet from the rain that falls into the open part of the subway where natural daylight was designed to filter through, nearly had me going the rest of the flight on my backside. One very dark section is permanently lit. Looks like there is a constant battle between the authorities and graffiti crews, judging by the look of the walls under there, too... The smell (!!) took me straight back to the days when the Hole In The Road was in decline, while the mess on the floor gives a clue to what this forgotten part of town is used for today...

Needless to say, I was glad when I saw daylight again and sight of the Bus Station. I nearly ran down those concrete spiral steps to the pavement below. I dared to take some pictures while on my nostalgic little journey, though I don't know how I kept a steady hand on the camera and would upload em on here if I knew how.

It;s hard to believe that this complex was once such a busy, bustling link into town from the Bus Station and even more so, just how dangerous the place looks now - even though the public walkway is in the City Centre. Maybe there are issues regarding closing the subway altogether? I did notice there are some steel doors under the worst part of the covered walkway that are possible fire escapes from the cinema above?

A small part of the past that I will not be visiting again soon! At least not alone!!!

Tigeratplay,

To add photos use Add Reply rather than fast reply.

There is a section below the post area titled 'Attachments' and a browse button.

Click that button and select the picture from wherever you have saved it on your PC.

Once that has been uploaded click back in the post area where you want the pic to appear

Click on the 'attach file' button in the attachments area.

Repeat for any other pics and then click Add Reply at the bottom of the page.

Guest Tigeratplay

Thank you for the info - I am going to have a go at uploading the pics I got the other day - anything could happen here!!

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post these pictures tigeratplay.

Nice pair of images of a forgotten part of Sheffield.

Guest Gramps

Interesting photos Tigeratplay.

That route down to Pond street replaced an older open stone stairway that ran from Arundel lane, opposite the side of the Lyceum theatre. The steps were very steep and had I think two or three 'landings' to stop people falling all the way down. This photo of the Poly under construction was taken from the old steps in 1950.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y02629

It was a useful shortcut from Fargate/High street down to the bus station.

In more recent times, after the bus station was rebuilt, I believe there was an escalator up to the cinema level.

In more recent times, after the bus station was rebuilt, I believe there was an escalator up to the cinema level.

Would this be the escalator past the cinecenta above Pond Street bus station in 1970

Guest Gramps

Would this be the escalator past the cinecenta above Pond Street bus station in 1970

Looks like it, - there was also a stone stairway down to Pond street which I think also gave access to the multi-story car park.

Looks like it, - there was also a stone stairway down to Pond street which I think also gave access to the multi-story car park.

Yes the stone stairway was at the far end (furthest from Pond Hill and the Odeon cinema)

It was more open and exposed and zig zagged backwards and forwards a bit to allow for a landing on each floor of the multi storey car park.

I think part of it is visible here on the end of the Fiesta building directly below the word Fiesta.

Further to my original post in this topic it seems it is bad news.

They are not reopening the "subway" under Furnival Gate at The Moor junction.

They were merely excavating a bit in order to lay hardcore for a new bit of pavement surface. :(

However, I am not sure what they have laid under the pavement surface, or what this structure will ultimately be

Further to my original post in this topic it seems it is bad news.

They are not reopening the "subway" under Furnival Gate at The Moor junction.

They were merely excavating a bit in order to lay hardcore for a new bit of pavement surface. :(

However, I am not sure what they have laid under the pavement surface, or what this structure will ultimately be

Bottom photo

Those frames are for trees, the frame is split - when they plane the tree they take the frame up, plant the tree, then put the frame back down around the tree then they can infill with whatever they please.

Bottom photo

Those frames are for trees, the frame is split - when they plane the tree they take the frame up, plant the tree, then put the frame back down around the tree then they can infill with whatever they please.

So its looks like Furnival Gate is going to become a leafy tree lined avenue then.

That's more trees to get in the way of future historic photos. :angry: