Furnival Gate Underpass

DaveH

I was told, as a child, that the "Master plan" for the town center was that all the buildings would eventually be connected by underground walkways. You would be able to go from one shop to another, entering and exiting via the basements. All/most of the shops around there have large basements. There were thick glass panels in the pavement in front of the shops. Are they still there ?

Well, there was the one from Cole's Corner to Boots, including an entrance to Boots from the subway,underpass/tube thingy. Unfortunately it was short-lived as they made Fargate a pedestrian precinct not long after. I remember watching them fill it in by pumping huge amount of concrete into it.

Planning seems never to have been a strong point with the Council. They paid a fortune to bring Italian paviours over to lay the cobbles in Fargate, then when someone wanted to put tables out for a coffee shop they were told they couldn't, cos it would obstruct the passage of wheelchairs and prams, as the cobbles weren't suitable for anything with wheels. or for walking on. In a pedestrian precinct....

I have a vague memory (aren't they all nowadays) of a problem with a sewer when the Fargate subway was bulit. From memory a new deeper sewer had to be built below the subway and this was tunneled through the solid rock by a lone irishman. I seem to remember progress reports published in the Star.

There was also another conjoined subway at right angles if I remember, that came up at the other side of Church Street with steps one way and a ramp. When these ramp/steps were being built at the corner of the churchyard the spoil was taken to Stradbrook to fill in the ravine that ran down through the estate. The local school-kids were finding skulls and thigh-bones which made great swops until somone noticed. This too made the headlines in the Star.

HD

I was told, as a child, that the "Master plan" for the town center was that all the buildings would eventually be connected by underground walkways. You would be able to go from one shop to another, entering and exiting via the basements. All/most of the shops around there have large basements. There were thick glass panels in the pavement in front of the shops. Are they still there ?

Hitler's Masterplan was slightly different ...

Hitler's Masterplan was slightly different ...

Hitler's "Master Plan" for Sheffield was put into operation during December 1940

The City Council planning department "Master Plan" for connecting the City shops at basement level and having "safe" walkways away from busy traffic in the streets above was put into operation in the mid 1960's

To me as a youngster Sheffield in the 1950's and early 60's was all slum clearance and clean air acts.

It was a grim rather old fashioned place but modern progress (called the "post war recovery" being as Richard mentioned it) was taking place.

But from the mid 1960's onwards with new houses and flats "walkways in the sky" , underpasses and subways, Sheffield, now clean and easily seen, took on a very futuristic appearance, - arguably one of the most modern looking cities in Britain at the time.

It was certainly a great place to grow up, and also of course a great time to grow up as things were changing and improving everywhere.

However, it wasn't to last, - strikes, 3 day weeks, inflation and financial recession slowed development in the 70's and 80's and our modern buildings and subways soon fell into a state of neglect and disrepair.

Unfortunately the response to this seems to be to destroy the city I once knew and loved and try to half heartedly rebuild it again, - but differently, rather than to renovate and restore what we once had.

If they did manage to excavate the Hole in the Road, I should think they would find a group of calcified skinheads sat on the bench still trying to look menacing. Oh, and the fish!

Nothing to do with Sheffield, but just for interest, there is a street here in Southport town centre called Neville Street which was a two-tier street in Victorian times. The lower layer was blocked off and a road built over it early last century. No-one has been down there since the 50's but apparently all the shops are still there and it is rumoured that there is a secret entrance somewhere. Similar thing to the Hole in the Road I thought, but I think that is filled with solid concrete if I'm not mistaken.

If they did manage to excavate the Hole in the Road, I should think they would find a group of calcified skinheads sat on the bench still trying to look menacing. Oh, and the fish!

Nothing to do with Sheffield, but just for interest, there is a street here in Southport town centre called Neville Street which was a two-tier street in Victorian times. The lower layer was blocked off and a road built over it early last century. No-one has been down there since the 50's but apparently all the shops are still there and it is rumoured that there is a secret entrance somewhere. Similar thing to the Hole in the Road I thought, but I think that is filled with solid concrete if I'm not mistaken.

Isn't "The Hole" filled with the rubble from some flats or other ?

Guest transit

Isn't "The Hole" filled with the rubble from some flats or other ?

....apparently the larger section of Hyde Park Flats which overlooked Skye Edge / Greyhound track , which was demolished.

(the greyer block to the left in this pic)

Went to town the other day and noticed that they were doing excavation work on either side of Furnival Gate where the old underpass used to be.

The excavations had revealed some of the old underpass which could be seen through the safety fencing from the street.

This used to be quite a busy underpass and had a set of public toilets under the middle of Furnival Gate.

Since its closure crossing Furnival Gate has been a bit risky,

Some pedestrians are impatient and don't wait for the green man and cross on the red man (that's like driving a car through a red light)

Some car drivers coming down Furnival Gate ignore the directions forcing them to turn up Pinstone Street and go straight down anyway, causing them to have to drive through a red light while there is a green man on the pedestrian crossing.

Certainly crossing the road here is more risky than being mugged by a gang of yobs in a busy underpass.

I don't know why they are doing this excavation work but I supose it's too much to ask and too much like wishful thinking on my part, BUT...

Will they be working to reopen the underpass?

In the unlikely event that the answer is YES, then what about us having the hole in the road back as well. lol

Having been to town again this morning I think the answer to the question is no they are not reopening it as the bit revealed in my pictures of post #1 has now been re-covered

But they have uncovered another section of the entrance wall further back down Furnival Gate towards "Redgates"

How many subways / underpasses are still open?

I think there are a quite a few, - especially if you count ones like the one on Hollinsend Road near the church which just enables you to cross under Ridgeway Road, although, as wayneybabes has pointed out in another topic, the one at Manor Top is long gone.

In town there is the St. Mary's gate subway complex which looks a bit like a poor version of the hole in the road.

There is a subway under Moore street.

There is the one under the very top of London Road, and it's link back towards Moorfoot and the Aztec temple.

OK, - we could start a list of current subways

Or even 2 lists, - another one for those which are closed, long gone, but fondly remembered.

How many subways / underpasses are still open?

<br><br><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;q=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8,+United+Kingdom&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;cd=2&amp;geocode=FXAHLgMdB2vp_w&amp;split=0&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.340303,-1.48942&amp;spn=0,0.142307&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.323023,-1.473057&amp;panoid=WgYsRL0HS4e4IhgF4atqqw&amp;cbp=12,120.8,,0,11.62">Chesterfield Rd/Lowedges</a><br><br>Bochum Parckway/Norton Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=15.111406,46.538086&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.327528,-1.469067&amp;spn=0.001685,0.011362&amp;z=17&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.327526,-1.469071&amp;panoid=rKi7TUp6KMmPdc2BGWeVrg&amp;cbp=11,355.59,,0,5

Jordanthorpe Shops/Batemoor

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=15.111406,46.538086&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.321979,-1.465173&amp;spn=0.006742,0.045447&amp;z=15&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.321988,-1.465183&amp;panoid=wMmX9etrUOlM_dZNs6rx0Q&amp;cbp=11,113.55,,0,5

Bochum Parkway/Jordanthorpe Parkway

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&amp;sll=53.800651,-4.064941&amp;sspn=15.111406,46.538086&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&amp;ll=53.330207,-1.464615&amp;spn=0.00674,0.045447&amp;z=15&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.330211,-1.464626&amp;panoid=NmeUVFiunDYCrS45cQ0Ugw&amp;cbp=11,74.1,,0,-0.51

(If someone wants to tell me how to improve those links, go ahead)

Chesterfield Rd/Lowedges

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.111406,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.322568,-1.473241&spn=0.003723,0.011362&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.322893,-1.473053&panoid=IIOcJU-v9PDdwCUOJLPqKw&cbp=12,93.59,,1,8.61

Bochum Parckway/Norton Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.111406,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.327528,-1.469067&spn=0.001685,0.011362&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.327526,-1.469071&panoid=rKi7TUp6KMmPdc2BGWeVrg&cbp=11,355.59,,0,5

Jordanthorpe Shops/Batemoor

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.111406,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.321979,-1.465173&spn=0.006742,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.321988,-1.465183&panoid=wMmX9etrUOlM_dZNs6rx0Q&cbp=11,113.55,,0,5

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=chesterfield+road,+sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.111406,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Chesterfield+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.330207,-1.464615&spn=0.00674,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.330211,-1.464626&panoid=NmeUVFiunDYCrS45cQ0Ugw&cbp=11,74.1,,0,-0.51

(If someone wants to tell me how to improve those links, go ahead)

Chesterfield Rd/Lowedges

Bochum Parckway/Norton Lane

Jordanthorpe Shops/Batemoor ..?

Not sure if all the above are correct.

'Right click' and center map then copy link

PS; members can not add links to Google Street Views

PS; members can not add links to Google Street Views

Ah. That's what I was trying to do as the various underpasses show up Ok on streetview.

Vox missed one hidden in the morass of the google links: Bochum parkway/Norton Lane. Just by whatever Rowlinson is called today.

Ah. That's what I was trying to do as the various underpasses show up Ok on streetview.

Vox missed one hidden in the morass of the google links: Bochum parkway/Norton Lane. Just by whatever Rowlinson is called today.

The underpass (subway) on Bochum Parkway is due to be filled in shortly, on completion of the current highway inprovements by Sheffield Council.

The underpass (subway) on Bochum Parkway is due to be filled in shortly, on completion of the current highway inprovements by Sheffield Council.

I understand the old underpasses are being used to store all the potholes ready for when they're needed again.

How can filling in the underpass be classed as a 'highway improvement'

surely the underpass doesn't create any restrictions to overhead traffic,

or to the pedestrians and cyclists who use the underpass to cross the road.

Wasn't that the the reason they were built in the first place ?

Following on from their multi million pound "success" <_< at improving the flow of traffic through Woodseats, Sheffield council are onto phase 2 of improving traffic flow in the area.

By filling in the subway on Bochum Parkway and providing a "Puffin" crossing, and installing yet more traffic lights <_<

More value for money for us council tax payers.

Correct Steve.

Filling in the underpass puts more strain on the road above its site as pedestrians will try to cross the road at this point, hindering the flow of traffic on the road as they do so (even if it is a proper light controlled pelican crossing) and as such is no improvement to the flow of traffic on the highway.

Underpasses always underpassed very busy or dangerous main roads. I am sure that filling them in also made the roads much more of a hazzard, particularly to pedestrians who are more vulnerable and who would have used the underpass in the first place if there was one.

Following on from their multi million pound "success" <_< at improving the flow of traffic through Woodseats, Sheffield council are onto phase 2 of improving traffic flow in the area.

By filling in the subway on Bochum Parkway and providing a "Puffin" crossing, and installing yet more traffic lights <_<

More value for money for us council tax payers.

PUFFIN crossing?

PELLICAN crossing?

Why are the crossings all named after birds with extremely large beaks?

TOUCAN play at that! lol

I understand the old underpasses are being used to store all the potholes ready for when they're needed again.

Could they be stockpiling to build a tunnel to Manor Lodge

<_<

PUFFIN crossing?

PELLICAN crossing?

Why are the crossings all named after birds with extremely large beaks?

TOUCAN play at that! lol

I always wondered what a Puffin crossind was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffin_crossing

Just a clever pelican crossing <_<

Could they be stockpiling to build a tunnel to Manor Lodge

<_<

That could be the start of a new topic, if all the old subways of Sheffield were laid end to end how long would the tunnel be, answer that DaveH lol

That could be the start of a new topic, if all the old subways of Sheffield were laid end to end how long would the tunnel be, answer that DaveH lol

Why is it that when there is a bit of maths to be done, - but to calculate something hypothetical and totally stupid (like a hole through the centre of the Earth) it's always ME that gets nominated to do it? :rolleyes: <_<