Beer Ice Cream

RichardB

Pubs in Sheffield are to sell beer-flavoured ice-cream invented by university nutrition student Anna Lowden, 20.

(Sunday Mirror 18th April 2010)

Pubs in Sheffield are to sell beer-flavoured ice-cream invented by university nutrition student Anna Lowden, 20.

(Sunday Mirror 18th April 2010)

Now - if it was gin and tonic flavoured, I may be tempted he he

Now - if it was gin and tonic flavoured, I may be tempted he he

It would just have to be a non-alcoholic flavouring though.

Alcohol has such a low melting / freezing point (about -40 Celsius) that it will not easily freeze making high alcohol frozen ices difficult or impossible to make.

Years ago we tried making frozen "alcopops" in the ice tray in the freezer compartment of the fridge, - it doesn't work.

Arctic thermometers always use coloured alcohol instead of mercury as alcohol remains liquid long after mercury has frozen solid.

Many insects, which are cold blooded, have a type of alcohol in their blood to prevent them freezing up in cold weather.

Car antifreeze (glycol) is also a type of alcohol.

Is it legal to try to freeze alcoholic drinks?

If you try the water freezes to ice and can be removed. This means that the liquid remainig behind will contain a higher % proportion of alcohol.

It is illegal to distil alcoholic drinks to make spirits, but would this "freeze distillation" process of making spirits also be illegal?

I don't know and I'm not going to try!

It would just have to be a non-alcoholic flavouring though.

Alcohol has such a low melting / freezing point (about -40 Celsius) that it will not easily freeze making high alcohol frozen ices difficult or impossible to make.

Years ago we tried making frozen "alcopops" in the ice tray in the freezer compartment of the fridge, - it doesn't work.

Arctic thermometers always use coloured alcohol instead of mercury as alcohol remains liquid long after mercury has frozen solid.

Many insects, which are cold blooded, have a type of alcohol in their blood to prevent them freezing up in cold weather.

Car antifreeze (glycol) is also a type of alcohol.

Is it legal to try to freeze alcoholic drinks?

If you try the water freezes to ice and can be removed. This means that the liquid remainig behind will contain a higher % proportion of alcohol.

It is illegal to distil alcoholic drinks to make spirits, but would this "freeze distillation" process of making spirits also be illegal?

I don't know and I'm not going to try!

I will just have the gin and tonic then and the ice cream on the side he he

I will just have the gin and tonic then and the ice cream on the side he he

That sounds the best option to me, although I am not a gin and tonic fan, I much prefer wine.

Yes a nice red wine and a Cuneo's ice cream (I am related to the Cuneo's, - story in another thread somewhere on this site.)

Or rather make that a vino rosso secco and a gellato

All sounds very Italian, - guess where I'm going for a holiday this summer ;-)

FRANCE !!!

WEST BAR !!!

Hey, - don't a you guys messa around with a da Maffiosi or a we will senda de boys round, OK louigi B)B) B)

Very funny guys : France and West Bar he helolhe he

Dave : why dont you hire a coach and we will make it a Sheffield History outing : we can go to France first then Italy and round it all off with West Bar, sampling all the ice cream we can eat - now that would be something to write home about :rolleyes:

Very funny guys : France and West Bar he helolhe he

Dave : why dont you hire a coach and we will make it a Sheffield History outing : we can go to France first then Italy and round it all off with West Bar, sampling all the ice cream we can eat - now that would be something to write home about :rolleyes:

Unfortunately suzy that wouldn't work as me and Stuart would love to go on that trip, but only to sample all the BEER and WINE as we travelled through France, Italy and West Bar.

You can forget the ice cream (even Cuneo's :o ) we would only be there for the beer and wine.

Oh Dear, - not good for our health these days.