Winter Street Boundary Stone

Ratter

Hello ... and apologies if this has been 'covered' before ... but, can anyody tell me where the Three Sided Boundary Stone is in Winter Street ... a picture of this is on Picture Sheffield. I've been up there today but can't see any sign of it.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Hello ... and apologies if this has been 'covered' before ... but, can anyody tell me where the Three Sided Boundary Stone is in Winter Street ... a picture of this is on Picture Sheffield. I've been up there today but can't see any sign of it.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Link to picture Sheffield

I suspect this was lost when the university buildings were extended in the 1960's

Link to picture Sheffield

I suspect this was lost when the university buildings were extended in the 1960's

It's on the bridge, just below the old building.

Although this is Brook Hill. :mellow: Is it the one you mean?

Nether Hallam & Sheffield Township.

It's on the bridge, just below the old building.

Although this is Brook Hill. :mellow: Is it the one you mean?

Nether Hallam & Sheffield Township.

That is certainly the wording on the 'Picture Sheffield' photograph ... so I reckon it must be.

It is much smaller than I imagined ... but then so many things are !!!

As Stuart 0742 suggests ... I suspect it was moved when the University was developed.

Brilliant stuff ... and thanks.

That is certainly the wording on the 'Picture Sheffield' photograph ... so I reckon it must be.

It is much smaller than I imagined ... but then so many things are !!!

As Stuart 0742 suggests ... I suspect it was moved when the University was developed.

Brilliant stuff ... and thanks.

If it has been moved it would only be by a few yards I think. Winter street used to bend and run through where the Arts Tower is now all the way into the Western Bank / Brook Hill junction.

HD

If it has been moved it would only be by a few yards I think. Winter street used to bend and run through where the Arts Tower is now all the way into the Western Bank / Brook Hill junction.

HD

Bacon Map

I just had that thought myself HD so I had a look on the old maps.

Just in view on the far right of this one.

Continuation of Winter Street as it was on a 1905 map

(well spotted hilldweller) marked

and the Three Sided Boundary post marked.

I think we need to take into consideration that picturesheffield

are not always 100% accurate with their descriptions.

Thanks for all the information and maps etc., ... all very interesting and useful.

I have now been to photograph the one on Brook Hill, outside the Uni, and although it is similar to the one described on Picture Sheffield as being on Winter Street, it is different. The one on Brook Hill has the wording NETHER HALLAM on the left and SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP on the right ... the (Winter Street) one on Picture Sheffield has the same wording but on the opposing faces. I guess there must have been a number of such stones and, naturally, the wording would have to match the actual location.

Thanks again for all the help

Thanks for all the information and maps etc., ... all very interesting and useful.

I have now been to photograph the one on Brook Hill, outside the Uni, and although it is similar to the one described on icture Sheffield as being on Winter Street, it is different. The one on Brook Hill has the wording NETHER HALLAM on the left and SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP on the right ... the (Winter Street) one on Picture Sheffield has the same wording but on the opposing faces. I guess there must have been a number of such stones and, naturally, the wording would have to match the actual location.

Thanks again for all the help

Trying to visualise it.

It seems to me that the only possibility then, is that these are from opposite sides of the road. Not necessarily the same road, but definitely different sides.