Hillsborough - Pre Football Stadium

Guest pam15

Guest pam15

Can anyone tell me what buildings or Farms etc. were on or near the site of Sheffield Wednesday football ground?

Can anyone tell me what buildings or Farms etc. were on or near the site of Sheffield Wednesday football ground?

Wardsend House and Farm was situated on the hillside overlooking the Wednesday Ground on the site that became Tetleys bottling plant around 1959/60 (now in other uses). The only remaining buildings are Wardsend Cottages situated under the Five Arches viaduct. I understand that the cottages were once another associated farm, one of them certainly contained a dairy. I believe the lodge to Wardsend House was situated by High Bridge beside the Wednesday Ground. This has been mentioned in another thread. My grandmother used to live in another cottage (Wardsend Cottage-singular) that formed part of the big farm. Part of the farm buildings were used as greyhound dog kennels prior to them being demolished.

HD

Guest pam15

Wardsend House and Farm was situated on the hillside overlooking the Wednesday Ground on the site that became Tetleys bottling plant around 1959/60 (now in other uses). The only remaining buildings are Wardsend Cottages situated under the Five Arches viaduct. I understand that the cottages were once another associated farm, one of them certainly contained a dairy. I believe the lodge to Wardsend House was situated by High Bridge beside the Wednesday Ground. This has been mentioned in another thread. My grandmother used to live in another cottage (Wardsend Cottage-singular) that formed part of the big farm. Part of the farm buildings were used as greyhound dog kennels prior to them being demolished.

HD

Thank you for that. The reason i am asking is concerning the old argument between football supporters as to there being a pig farm in or around the site of the football stadium.

pam15

Thank you for that. The reason i am asking is concerning the old argument between football supporters as to there being a pig farm in or around the site of the football stadium.

pam15

No further comment required.

HD

Before the houses were built the area was part of the park surrounding Hillsborough Hall. When the Dixon family split up the estate, it was parcelled into lots for building. The area between Leppings Lane, Penistone Rd. and Parkside rd was sold as 1 Lot. As far as I'm aware there was no farming there, it went straight from parkland to housing, though there must have abeen a time between the land being sold and the building of the football stadium. Do you have a date for the orginal building of the stadium?

Guest pam15

Before the houses were built the area was part of the park surrounding Hillsborough Hall. When the Dixon family split up the estate, it was parcelled into lots for building. The area between Leppings Lane, Penistone Rd. and Parkside rd was sold as 1 Lot. As far as I'm aware there was no farming there, it went straight from parkland to housing, though there must have abeen a time between the land being sold and the building of the football stadium. Do you have a date for the orginal building of the stadium?

The stadium was built in 1899.

The stadium was built in 1899.

Here you go then Pam

"The death of J.W. Dixon junior in 1890 caused the hall and its grounds to be divided into 14 lots and auctioned off. Sheffield Corporation (now Sheffield City Council) bought lot one which included the hall and the surrounding 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land. A northern section of the estate on the far side of the River Don was sold to Sheffield Wednesday Football Club who needed a new home ground as the lease on their Olive Grove ground had run out."

From Wikipedia, not the best authority but it confirms what I said and I'm sure it's right. (Link)

So unless you go back to pre-1779, the place where Hillsborough Stadium stands was part of the grounds surrounding the Hall until it was sold to Sheffield Wednesday. And there's no record of a farm even then. No farm. No pigs.

Don't know the names of the factories but this is Penistone road. The photographer would have been stood on the main NE corner of where the ground is

Don't know what it was then, but the factory on the left became part of the Andrews Toledo group.

name=&#39;mickjj&#39; date=&#39;13 April 2010 - 07:29 PM&#39; timestamp=&#39;1271183443&#39; post=&#39;65322&#39;]<br />

<br />

<br />

Don&#39;t know the names of the factories but this is Penistone road. The photographer would have been stood on the main NE corner of where the ground is<br />

</p>

Leppings Lane going back to the 18th C did n't have a bridge, rather a set of Stepping stones by which to cross the river. Olde english spelled the stepping part of of stones thus.....ftepping and the accompanying lane leading to the Stones and Ford became known so.

What should be known as Stepping Lane became widely known as Lepping or Leaping Lane, later Leppings Lane.

Leppings Lane going back to the 18th C did n't have a bridge, rather a set of Stepping stones by which to cross the river. Olde english spelled the stepping part of of stones thus.....ftepping and the accompanying lane leading to the Stones and Ford became known so.

What should be known as Stepping Lane became widely known as Lepping or Leaping Lane, later Leppings Lane.

There's an alternative explanation for the name. It's said the stones were quite widely spaced, and it was necessary for many people to have to make a small jump from one to the next, and they became known as the Lepping (Leaping) Stones.

Yer pays yer money...

On 13/04/2010 at 19:30, mickjj said:

post-14-127118325253_thumb.jpg

Don't know the names of the factories but this is Penistone road. The photographer would have been stood on the main NE corner of where the ground is

SE!

South East corner.  Looking back towards the city centre.  What used to be the main entrance to the South Stand and offices etc., prior to the South Stand being practically rebuilt in the late 90s.

I'm not disputing it, but is this definitely Penistone Road?  It just looks odd that the ground across the road drops away quite sharply.  It definitely doesn't today.  Not that much anyway.