Beaucamps Ligny

Guest Trefcon

Guest Alan Hodgson

I may be a year too late, but it was good to read of all this activity especially regarding L-cpl Larrett Roebuck. I sincerely hope that his remains were amongst those discovered so that his descendants may know his final resting place at last. Otherwise, I would be obliged if anyone out there could put me in touch with the current Larrett Roebuck or indeed with Mr & Mrs John O'Hara. Basically, I am connected to Huddersfield Town FC and was in contact with the O'Haras about 4 years ago. They kindly provided a copy of Larrett in uniform for Vol 2 of the HTFC centenary book which we were happy to reproduce in full. (Mrs O'Hara is a granddaughter of LR). It was intended to forward them a copy of the book but unfortunately the phone number I had to contact them seemingly didn't work! Any info would be of help. Thanks.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Alan, i'm in touch with his grandson, will give him a ring to view this post and let him take it from there.

Things are moving in the right direction but i'm sworn to secrecy at the moment to reveal anything.

Dean.

Hi Allen

Frank's my name I 'm Larretts grand son ! the old one they call me ? I know John moved address I have not got it yet he moved

about a year ago thats how close we are lol .

Dean and myself have been to the place were the bodys were found not that there is a lot to look at .

Dean and myself were going back again but I have to go in hospital this month so driving is out .

If you let me know how to contact you I can pass it to John and our Chris!

Regards

Frank ( My handle Larrett)

Guest Alan Hodgson

Thanks Dean, and Hello Frank! My e-mail address is xxxxxxxxx so feel free to contact me anytime. We'll get a copy of the book sent to each of you eventually! By the way, my grandad John W Hodgson was also in the York & Lancasters, Barnsley Pals. He was wounded on the first day of the Somme, came back to England to a hospital in Rochdale to recover, met a nurse there who he married, and survived the war despite being sent back again. If he hadn't, I wouldn't be here writing to you today!

Thanks again for your reply and I hope all goes well with the DNA tests.

Alan J Hodgson

Guest Trefcon

At long last !!!!!!!!!

The MOD/CWGC have in the past buried found remains on the quiet, all shh, shh, you know !! NOT this time, pressure from interested parties has prevailed !

Monies have been released for a FULL identification programme to be undertaken.

The project will focus on all the 58 missing 2nd Battalion men of the York & Lancs who were killed in action between 18-25 October 1914 but have no known graves.

The 15 recovered sets of remains are currently undergoing detailed forensic anthropological assessment to establish physical data concerning age, height, etc.

DNA samples are to be extracted for profiling so that comparative analysis can be conducted with samples from the living relatives of the missing.

It is hoped that as many of the 15 can be identified as possible so that they may have NAMED graves.

All the men are to be interred in the same graveyard (possibly the new Fromelles cemetery) on the centenary of their deaths in October 2014 with full military honours and family members present.

Statement issued today by the MOD -

(The burial details are at odds to what I have been told privately, so will need to clarify that point)

A massive WELL DONE and THANK YOU to everyone who has written to their MP's etc.

10 of the 15 men were named last Thursday (20th March) by the MOD at a meeting for the families at Endcliffe Hall in Sheffield.

The names have been released today in a Press Release.

Only 1 man John Brameld was from Sheffield.

Investigations will continue to try to identify the remaining 5

http://BBC Website

• Like 1

10 of the 15 men were named last Thursday (20th March) by the MOD at a meeting for the families at Endcliffe Hall in Sheffield.

The names have been released today in a Press Release.

Only 1 man John Brameld was from Sheffield.

Investigations will continue to try to identify the remaining 5

http://BBC Website

I could not make your link to the BBC Website work, so I have added it again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26690387

• Like 1