Rivelin View Hotel

hilldweller

Does anyone have any photo's or information about the Rivelin View Hotel which used to stand on the low side of Bole Hill Road Walkley. It was severely damaged in the Great Sheffield Gale of 1962 and demolished. I seem to remember that there was some loss of life involved. I remember cycling past it several times before the gale and it seemed to have a very precarious hold on the steep hillside. If it appears elsewhere within this forum then I apologise, but I have not been able to find anything.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I had a personal encounter with the gale when I involuntarily took up paragliding using a large canvas Star paper delivery bag wrapped around my shoulder. I reached bedroom window height but didn't have time to do any sightseeing.

HD

On 4/9/2010 at 2:16 PM, hilldweller said:

Does anyone have any photo's or information about the Rivelin View Hotel which used to stand on the low side of Bole Hill Road Walkley. It was severely damaged in the Great Sheffield Gale of 1962 and demolished. I seem to remember that there was some loss of life involved. I remember cycling past it several times before the gale and it seemed to have a very precarious hold on the steep hillside. If it appears elsewhere within this forum then I apologise, but I have not been able to find anything.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I had a personal encounter with the gale when I involuntarily took up paragliding using a large canvas Star paper delivery bag wrapped around my shoulder. I reached bedroom window height but didn't have time to do any sightseeing.

HD

Someone called HughW posted this at SheffieldForum in 2005.

On 09/04/2010 at 2:16 PM, hilldweller said:

HD

Made me laugh (he he))

16 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Made me laugh (he he))

As I remember, it made me scream !:o

I made a very careful passage down the middle of Haden Street, dodging the slates which were hurtling down on both sides of the road.

When I stepped clear of the buildings into Holme Lane I was whipped up into the air and blown at first floor height back towards Malin Bridge. I remember vividly flying past Dawson's fishing tackle shop and looking in the first floor window. I made a somewhat in-elegant landing about two shops past and slid along the pavement almost as far as the next road junction. It would take some gale nowadays to lift me 10 inches, never mind 10 feet but I was about a third of my present weight in those days

Star paper bags in those days were made from very strong canvas with a canvas strap about 3 inches thick. They were also very commodious to take the broadsheet newspapers in use in those days. They didn't think to include a weak link in the strap to guard against flying schoolboys.

I've never flown since. :)   (I wouldn't be able to anyway due to a medical condition).

HD