41 Freedom Rd, Walkley

Stuart0742

Received via email

Hi Richard I have just joined Sheffield History but find the site a bit confusing. I have come across you and notice that you list Walkley in your topics. I am trying to find out what happened to 41 Freedom Road at Walkley as, although most of the road is still standing, that property seems to have been demolished - perhaps in the late 1970's. It was occupied by the 'Settle's' from about 1890 to the 1970's, The last occupants were Nellie Settle and her daughter and son-in-law, George and Joan Torry. Any knowledge or info, photos etc would be great. I think the house might have had a workshop attached, as Tom Settle worked from home upto 1920 in Britannia Metal (Pewter).

Thanks - Denise

Can anybody help

Just confirming the Settle occupancy of the house :

Thomas Settle, 41 Freedom Road, Engraver (Kelly's 1893 and White's 1911); father and son both called Tom/Thomas in 1901 Census

1891 he's a tobacconist in Kings Norton (that's me heading in the wrong direction, date-wise again ...)

Received via email

Hi Richard I have just joined Sheffield History but find the site a bit confusing. I have come across you and notice that you list Walkley in your topics. I am trying to find out what happened to 41 Freedom Road at Walkley as, although most of the road is still standing, that property seems to have been demolished - perhaps in the late 1970's. It was occupied by the 'Settle's' from about 1890 to the 1970's, The last occupants were Nellie Settle and her daughter and son-in-law, George and Joan Torry. Any knowledge or info, photos etc would be great. I think the house might have had a workshop attached, as Tom Settle worked from home upto 1920 in Britannia Metal (Pewter).

Thanks - Denise

Can anybody help

Suggest writing a polite letter to the residents of numbers 39 and 43 ... unless anyone else can come with an answer as to what happened ?

Hi

I remember well the people who lived at 41 Freedom Road. I used to live next door to them and will be hopefully moving back shortly.

We're lucky that the Walkley Action Group (WAG) (of which my Dad was part) persuaded Sheffield Council not to pull the whole of the road down along with many others. Instead it was made into an improvement area. That is why we have the chicanes to slow down traffic. Sadly some houses were demolished including numbers 37?, 39? and 41 and a big house further up the gardens. This I guess was in the 70's/80's and new properties were built.

Mrs Settle (Nellie) was a Londoner and an old lady when I was very young. Long white hair and long dresses.I remember the Yorkshire range and I used to play with Joan Torry's niece. She sometimes looked after me when my Mum went to town.

There was a washhouse and maybe a workshop in the yard adjoining our house at number 45. George and Joan Torry moved up to around Highton Street/Greenhow street but it is a long time ago since I have seen them them. I borrowed George's fishing tackle when I went on a pub fishing trip and actually managed to catch a fish! I think George was in the building trade. George had a greenhouse. Lovely people!

Hope this was useful.

Steve

Remember demolishing some on Freedom Road would have been late 70's i think, can remember carrying a stone gatepost down the road ( I was dafter then) to a blokes house, he had a brilliant garden seat in the backyard made of glazed pottery in the shape of a tree trunk about 5 foot tall.