Pub Nicknames

RichardB

I 've spoke to him on the phone and wrote to him when he wanted some details

of pubs in our area.

He says he's not from Sheffield and most of the information he gets seems

to be from peoples memories, yes I know, we all have a problem with that.

If I was going to do a book I'd get the facts from the Central Library, it's

all there for the asking and free. He wasn't very thorough , you can't believe

how many arguements it's caused in the pubs. he he:rolleyes:

The signed book I got from him was "Lest We Forget", about memorials and gravestones in the Sheffield area.

Not about pubs, but probably still contains a few mistakes.

Seemed a nice guy though.

I am not really sure how valid this thread is as although many of us have nicknames for our favourite (or least favourite) boozers are those names known universally or are they used by just a select few? <_<

In another topic SteveHB referred to the Byards Leap at Hartop as "The Backstabbers Arms".

I have never heard of it called that before, even though I have lived in that area of Sheffield for many years, - perhaps only a small group of "regulars" call it that. :huh:

I also suprised some people by referring to The Elm Tree, Manor Top as "The Fight A Night". A lot of local and Manor residents would know it as that, - but it appears not everyone. :mellow:

When Stuart0742 lived with his parents at Hackenthorpe we used to go to the Blue Bell, Hackenthorpe. We always referred to this pub as the "Costa Packet". We gave it this name partly because of its very Spanish interior decor and partly because, just out of school and with little or no income a night out wasn't cheap. I don't think anyone other than me and Stuart would recognise the "Costa Packet" as being the Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe. :rolleyes:

I am not really sure how valid this thread is as although many of us have nicknames for our favourite (or least favourite) boozers are those names known universally or are they used by just a select few?

The ones that I've mentioned around Crookes & Walkley were well known locally by their nicknames, which is all you would expect I suppose.

The ones that I've mentioned around Crookes & Walkley were well known locally by their nicknames, which is all you would expect I suppose.

Oh yes, the Travellers Rest on City road was known to me and Stuart as "The Old Codgers" due to the fact that it was always full of old blokes who really didn't like young lads like us daring to go in their boozer.

The signed book I got from him was "Lest We Forget", about memorials and gravestones in the Sheffield area.

Not about pubs, but probably still contains a few mistakes.

Seemed a nice guy though.

I've not seen this book Dave, is it worth a buy?

Are there any photographs in it?

{ who said I can't read and I just look at the pictures lol ;-)

I've not seen this book Dave, is it worth a buy?

Are there any photographs in it?

{ who said I can't read and I just look at the pictures lol;-)

Pictures of gravestones and memorials just to illustrate a few points.

Not really read it for a while and can't remember much of its content.

Never referred to or quoted it in a Sheefiield History post before now.

Will have to take another look.

The Eastfield Inn at Thurgoland is nicknamed the Monkey.

Maybe someone can correct me on this one but I can't remember if it

is The Flouch or The Wortley Arms at Wortley that they call The Cat n Gun.

The story has it that the landlord was always finding the cat on the table

eating their joint of meat and in fury one day he took his gun and shot it.

I think it could be the Wortley Arms.

Guest skeets

HI The Mount View hotel on Derbyshire Lane was always known as the Top Shop, l believe it aquired this name from the days when it sold a few groceries as well as beer. Also the Big Tree on Chester field , was known as the Big Tree for almost a century because of the large tree in the foreground when actually its name was the Masons Arms, after almost a rebuild in the early 60 ties, it was officially renamed the Big Tree the landlord at that time Ray Mallet [ an old pal of mine from the 40ties when he kept the Earl of Arundel and Surrey ] moved out .when his running costs soared 700% he then took the Price of Wales in Derbyshire Lane Cheers Skeets.

The Eastfield Inn at Thurgoland is nicknamed the Monkey.

Maybe someone can correct me on this one but I can't remember if it

is The Flouch or The Wortley Arms at Wortley that they call The Cat n Gun.

The story has it that the landlord was always finding the cat on the table

eating their joint of meat and in fury one day he took his gun and shot it.

I think it could be the Wortley Arms.

I think that the Eastfield Inn has now officially adopted the "Monkey" name. It has appeared in a number of recent episodes of "Last of the Summer Wine" with prominent "Monkey" signage which appears to be permanent. Incidently when we used to frequent the place in the 70's/80's it was an unusual place to say the least. The locals used to nail beer-bottle tops (crown corks) to the side of walking sticks and bang them on the floor in time with the music. The effect had to be seen and heard to be believed. The place is quite isolated midway between Thurgoland and Hood Green.

Hilldweller

I think that the Eastfield Inn has now officially adopted the "Monkey" name. It has appeared in a number of recent episodes of "Last of the Summer Wine" with prominent "Monkey" signage which appears to be permanent. Incidently when we used to frequent the place in the 70's/80's it was an unusual place to say the least. The locals used to nail beer-bottle tops (crown corks) to the side of walking sticks and bang them on the floor in time with the music. The effect had to be seen and heard to be believed. The place is quite isolated midway between Thurgoland and Hood Green.

Hilldweller

I had a feeling you would answer this one Hilldweller, it seems we both

tread the same boards.

That's about the time I used to visit the place, I think the beer tops on sticks

were the attraction for most other than having a meal.