Albert, Cambridge Street

RichardB

When The Albert was demolished which plant came up in profusion ?

(I have the answer and I don't know if it is unusual or rare or what ...)

Ridiculous even by the normal standards of this thread, but I've read it so I'll pose it on here ...

I have a few in mind,

but my first guess would be Rosebay Willowherb (Fireweed)

I have a few in mind,

but my first guess would be Rosebay Willowherb (Fireweed)

Not what I have; thankfully I have the common name and the scientific name

the implication from the writer was that it hadn't been seen "since the days of green fields"

(Bear with me, not an area of expertise as you might have worked out). Why would any plant spring up in abundance on such a small site, on rubble and in the middle of a City Centre ?

Guest Gramps

Poppy and Buddleia are two plants that often appear on demolition sites but there are others whose seeds can survive for decades.

Poppy and Buddleia are two plants that often appear on demolition sites but there are others whose seeds can survive for decades.

Poppy infamous from The Somme of course. Neither is my answer Gramps.

If anyone understands all this "plant" stuff and wants to PM me we might provide some sensible clues because although I know the answer it doesn't mean anything at all to me.

Poppy infamous from The Somme of course. Neither is my answer Gramps.

If anyone understands all this "plant" stuff and wants to PM me we might provide some sensible clues because although I know the answer it doesn't mean anything at all to me.

PM me,

I have have interest in wild flowers,

got about twenty books on the subject

some old some new.

Ridiculous even by the normal standards of this thread, but I've read it so I'll pose it on here ...

The seeds of this plant have long term viability and have been claimed to survive in soil for several hundred years.

[Thanks Steve]

Foxgloves perchance ?

By the way, out of interest.

Although the particular plant for which we search may be rare, there are many plants who's seeds can remain viable for hundreds of years.

Are we looking in the wrong direction? Rather than something that had been on the site from before the Albert was there, could it be connected with the Albert itself, say a waste product of some kind?

Are we looking in the wrong direction? Rather than something that had been on the site from before the Albert was there, could it be connected with the Albert itself, say a waste product of some kind?

The implication (by the author) was that this plant would have grown here before and when the building was demolished the seeds "woke up"; nothing to do with waste product.

Steve knows the answer, maybe he can give further clue(s) ... not a topic I know much about.

The implication (by the author) was that this plant would have grown here before and when the building was demolished the seeds "woke up"; nothing to do with waste product.

Steve knows the answer, maybe he can give further clue(s) ... not a topic I know much about.

vox isn't far off with his answer,

as the plant in question is a member of the figwort family.

vox isn't far off with his answer,

as the plant in question is a member of the figwort family.

and I thought that was just a figwort of his imagination ! ;-)

Sorry, I'll get me coat ...

and I thought that was just a figwort of his imagination ! ;-)

Now its getting interesting because I thought the answer was going to be dandelions, nettles or some other pernicious weed that grows everywhere. <_<

Especially in places that you don't want it to. :angry:

Verbascum thapsus, perhaps (Great mullein, or Aaron's Rod)?. One of the figworts which seems to thrive on disturbed waste ground

Verbascum thapsus, perhaps (Great mullein, or Aaron's Rod)?. One of the figworts which seems to thrive on disturbed waste ground

Correct Madannie77 ! Common Mullein is the answer I have; don't know what the difference between Great and Common might be though ...

Correct Madannie77 ! Common Mullein is the answer I have; don't know what the difference between Great and Common might be though ...

They might just be different names for the same plant - wild flowers often have many local names, which is why I quoted the scientific name first. This plant is a bit of a nuisance in certain areas of the preserved railway where I help out: it loves growing in the disturbed ground where new sidings have been built, particularly in the ash ballast we use. Thankfully it is easily seen and uprooted.

It does make a fabulous show en masse, however, if allowed to flower.