Dissertation

RichardB

Step-daughter haned her Dissertation in today, not supplying details, but job done - remember handing mine in in 1984 - I wasn't sober for a week, or was it a year; or indeed forever ?

Step-daughter haned her Dissertation in today, not supplying details, but job done - remember handing mine in in 1984 - I wasn't sober for a week, or was it a year; or indeed forever ?

Now my 1977 dissertation in chemistry was called,-

"The methylene insertion reactions into the polycylic compound ...."

and this was followed by the name of the actual compound, which I have long since forgotten and have no chance of remembering unless I go and find out my origianl papers.

All I can remember is that when given as a standardised IUPAC chemical name it ran to more than 80 characters in length as it wouldn't fit onto a single line of type and my typist (yes we used typewriters in those days, and if you couldn't type at a reasonable speed and accuracy you could have a typist do it for you) playing hell about it.. :o

and this was followed by the name of the actual compound, which I have long since forgotten and have no chance of remembering unless I go and find out my origianl papers.

All I can remember is that when given as a standardised IUPAC chemical name it ran to more than 80 characters in length as it wouldn't fit onto a single line of type and my typist (yes we used typewriters in those days, and if you couldn't type at a reasonable speed and accuracy you could have a typist do it for you) playing hell about it.. :o

Mine 1984 was "The Detection of Frequency Modulation in Man" - Physiological Sciences, a two volume epic, since we had to record all the test results in details (took up the whole of Volume 2). Both volumes dull as dishwater ...

Mine 1984 was "The Detection of Frequency Modulation in Man" - Physiological Sciences, a two volume epic, since we had to record all the test results in details (took up the whole of Volume 2). Both volumes dull as dishwater ...

I suppose this was a follow up "The Detection of Amplitude Modulation in Man".

Frequency Modulation cut out all the interference, noise and crap but its range wasn't as great. lol

I suppose this was a follow up "The Detection of Amplitude Modulation in Man".

Frequency Modulation cut out all the interference, noise and crap but its range wasn't as great. lol

All to due with hearing tests and to be honest, biochemistry of mucosal membranes ... no ranges involved, just listening to tiny changes in frequency - when I did my Offshore Survival training I completely bewildered them with my results on the sound tests (having spent weeks doing exactly that) - got me past the "You too fat but you'll do" comment.

All to due with hearing tests and to be honest, biochemistry of mucosal membranes ... no ranges involved, just listening to tiny changes in frequency - when I did my Offshore Survival training I completely bewildered them with my results on the sound tests (having spent weeks doing exactly that) - got me past the "You too fat but you'll do" comment.

I can't even spell "Dissertation" neh mind know what it means :)

I can't even spell "Dissertation" neh mind know what it means :)

Seem to remember years ago someone did a stand up comedy routine based on that very statement, - the word "Dissertation" came into it a lot.

As the exact title was bugging me I went and dug it out, - and here it is.

I particularly liked my note on the naming of chemicals in section 3

However I must have had a good education because even after all these years I can still understand this stuff.