National Burial Index

RichardB

Does anyone have access to NBI v3 please ? Loath to fork out to find George Arthur Brant listed again as "Died about 1890"; he was my Great Grandfather and was alive and ticking on Census night 1891; could have passed away the next day for all we've been able to find out (Dixon Street).

Does anyone have access to NBI v3 please ? Loath to fork out to find George Arthur Brant listed again as "Died about 1890"; he was my Great Grandfather and was alive and ticking on Census night 1891; could have passed away the next day for all we've been able to find out (Dixon Street).

HI Richard, I have NBI V3 & he isn't on that. Indeed I can't find a death for him between 1890 & 1916! FreeBMD appears to have virtually full coverage of deaths between 1891 & 1901 (where he isn't found). He is a real mystery . LIke you I have found him on 1891 census but can't find him in 1901.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to the Sheffield Archives to check through each of the GRO death records from April quarter 1891 onwards to Jan quarter 1901. They are on fiche & should take no more than an hour to look at. Ig he isn't on those then it would appear that for some reason his death has been missed from the registers. I have also checked the burial records on Sheffield Indexers & he's not on there either.

Best of luck,

John

HI Richard, I have NBI V3 & he isn't on that. Indeed I can't find a death for him between 1890 & 1916! FreeBMD appears to have virtually full coverage of deaths between 1891 & 1901 (where he isn't found). He is a real mystery . LIke you I have found him on 1891 census but can't find him in 1901.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to the Sheffield Archives to check through each of the GRO death records from April quarter 1891 onwards to Jan quarter 1901. They are on fiche & should take no more than an hour to look at. Ig he isn't on those then it would appear that for some reason his death has been missed from the registers. I have also checked the burial records on Sheffield Indexers & he's not on there either.

Best of luck,

John

Thank you for looking for him. As a family we've been looking to break this "brick wall" since 1982; all possible places have been visited over the years, one of my Sisters is a Sheffield resident and has checked Archives, Local Studies - she even make the trip to Kew. I've tried every internet resource I can think of, bought the A-B transcriptions of all Cemeteries and still not a clue at to his whereabouts.

There was an Influenza epidemic in Sheffield in 1891 but alas I have only ever found the name of one person that died (he was however resident the other side of St Philips Church, Great Grandfather lived on Dixon Street, the man who died of the influenza lived right by the Roscoe Palace/Bingo - can't remember the Street, Roscoe Place ?).

We'll keep on looking.

Guest smary

Thank you for looking for him. As a family we've been looking to break this "brick wall" since 1982; all possible places have been visited over the years, one of my Sisters is a Sheffield resident and has checked Archives, Local Studies - she even make the trip to Kew. I've tried every internet resource I can think of, bought the A-B transcriptions of all Cemeteries and still not a clue at to his whereabouts.

There was an Influenza epidemic in Sheffield in 1891 but alas I have only ever found the name of one person that died (he was however resident the other side of St Philips Church, Great Grandfather lived on Dixon Street, the man who died of the influenza lived right by the Roscoe Palace/Bingo - can't remember the Street, Roscoe Place ?).

We'll keep on looking.

I think I have been in touch before - but there is someone researching a George Arthur Brant died 1890 - born 26 Sept 1844

on Ancestry using the user name nortontwigg. Have you or are you in contact with this person??

Richard

Have you searched under the surname Brand at all - mistakes do happen with transcriptions? There is a George Brand died in Sheffield in Dec qtr 1898 aged 63.

Lyn

Guest Unitedite

Richard

Have you searched under the surname Brand at all - mistakes do happen with transcriptions? There is a George Brand died in Sheffield in Dec qtr 1898 aged 63.

Lyn

There is this entry on the Sheffield Indexers' Site:-

BRAND, George (labourer, age 63).

Died at 2 Ct Upwell St; Buried on December 30, 1898 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 13, Section C1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 5725 Attending Minister: E Tankard.

Plot Owner: of .