Mystery Marker

Stuart0742

So where exactly does the Midland Railway go?

This location seems a long way north to me.

Here was mw thinking that the Midland Railway ran from Matlock to Buxton :unsure:

Yes the Midland Railway was based around Derby and down to St Pancras, it was formed in 1844 by the coming together of the "Midlands Counties Railway" ,

"North Midland Railway" & "Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway".

After a dispute with the "London & North Western" in the 1870's it decided to build its own route to Scotland from Settle junction to Carlisle. Hence why the markers in Steve's post seem quite northerly.

Stumbled across this today (well almost), it was at the side of the path

Location at the side of the River Sheaf at Totley, near to where the railway crosses the river, this could explain the "MR" on the reverse.

X marks the spot where the marker is.

Any ideas?

Why don't you take along a couple of pots of paint and paint it the same, rather fetching, blue and and white colours as the ones in Cumbria ?

If you did, I'll bet it wouldn't be there in another hundred and odd years, not in that end of the city !

HD

Yes the Midland Railway was based around Derby and down to St Pancras, it was formed in 1844 by the coming together of the "Midlands Counties Railway" ,

"North Midland Railway" & "Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway".

After a dispute with the "London & North Western" in the 1870's it decided to build its own route to Scotland from Settle junction to Carlisle. Hence why the markers in Steve's post seem quite northerly.

OK, so the Midland Railway (MR) covered a much bigger area than just the midlands, but they were just one railway company.

Surely the legislation on the land within 88 yards either side of the track which resulted in these markers being placed would have applied to the whole country.

So, if I went down south to look at their rail tracks could I expect to find some similar GWR markers serving the same purpose? <_<

OK, so the Midland Railway (MR) covered a much bigger area than just the midlands, but they were just one railway company.

Surely the legislation on the land within 88 yards either side of the track which resulted in these markers being placed would have applied to the whole country.

So, if I went down south to look at their rail tracks could I expect to find some similar GWR markers serving the same purpose? <_<

Victorian Railway Companies liked their cast iron signs and markers, however after 100+ years, modernisation, souvenir hunters and the wholesale abandonment of rural railways few will remain.

However here is a GWR version

© Copyright Mike White and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1464909

Victorian Railway Companies liked their cast iron signs and markers, however after 100+ years, modernisation, souvenir hunters and the wholesale abandonment of rural railways few will remain.

However here is a GWR version

© Copyright Mike White and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1464909

OK that fits in well,

I assume that this one is located within 88 yards of a GWR track somewhere.

So how many railway companies did use these markers?

How many are still in place?

..and more importantly, how many of them are there in the Sheffield area?

Suggest that Stuart starts a list, linked to a locative google map, of all the railway markers we can find. lol

Suggest that Stuart starts a list, linked to a locative google map, of all the railway markers we can find. lol

Everyone, one quick step backwards NOW ! :rolleyes: before Stuart notices ...

Everyone, one quick step backwards NOW ! :rolleyes: before Stuart notices ...

Serves him right, - been knocking teacher again hasn't he :P

OK that fits in well,

I assume that this one is located within 88 yards of a GWR track somewhere.

So how many railway companies did use these markers?

How many are still in place?

..and more importantly, how many of them are there in the Sheffield area?

As I understand it the "Limit of Deviation" was determined in the application for parliamentary approval and I think that it might vary according to what each company thought that they could obtain. We might not be looking at 4 chains in every case. Also the same markers were probably used whenever a railway company wanted to mark any sort of boundary.

Happy Hunting !

HD

I know you said it was the Sheaf, but it just looked too neat and tidy, too posh and too small to be the Sheaf.

Then again, if its near its source thats not suprising, most of us are more familiar with it as it passes through town near Queens Road lol

You see me, Stuart0742 and SteveHB are more familiar with the Sheaf looking like this

Came across another one the other day

Against the back wall at the old Bakewell Station

Also nicely painted blue and white!