ROOF TOP VIEWS

mickjj

Here are some pictures I took of the roof tops of both Jessops and Hallamshire hospitals. They were taken in March 1979. These were slides which I have tried to reproduce hence the poor quality. If anyone can clean them up it would be appreciated.

The first three are from Jessops.

The rest from the Hallamshire

Incredible - thanks for taking the time and effort to do these for us mate - much appreciated !

This one is my favourite..

Ive got some photos I took from the tower of Sheffield Cathedral somewhere, I shall have to find them.

Here's some recent photos I took in Nov 2016 from the roof of Snig Hill Police Station..

Views to the north..

IMG_1246_zpscvn3ttl2.jpg

IMG_1248_zpscbx8jz2q.jpg

IMG_1247_zpse1i75xeu.jpg

IMG_1249_zpsnokou8rx.jpg

Views to the east...

IMG_1241_zpsvjqr1sus.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsetjpctuu.jpg

IMG_1238_zpspvqvfkbd.jpg

Views to the south..

IMG_1245_zpske09gbop.jpg

IMG_1242_zps6p9snocs.jpg

Apologies for slipping in this previously posted 1970 shot, of the junction shown in LeadFarmer's first picture, but it just includes the west facing upper gable of a surviving old building at the extreme right edge of the photo. The first two frames above have featured the south and east facing elevations of the same building at the bottom of Snig Hill; at least one property has survived!

2014-06-07_9a.jpg

19 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Ive got some photos I took from the tower of Sheffield Cathedral somewhere, I shall have to find them.

Here's some recent photos I took in Nov 2016 from the roof of Snig Hill Police Station..

Views to the north..

IMG_1246_zpscvn3ttl2.jpg

IMG_1248_zpscbx8jz2q.jpg

IMG_1247_zpse1i75xeu.jpg

IMG_1249_zpsnokou8rx.jpg

Views to the east...

IMG_1241_zpsvjqr1sus.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsetjpctuu.jpg

IMG_1238_zpspvqvfkbd.jpg

Views to the south..

IMG_1245_zpske09gbop.jpg

IMG_1242_zps6p9snocs.jpg

On the views to east - what is the building to the left of Howells - the one with two white transit vans parked immediate behind it?

Yes, it the derelict old Town Hall and Court House. There are some nice photos of the inside of the building if you search online. Most of the court rooms etc are still there.

Could this be a Then and Now , it's hard to tell looking at  mickjj pictures as they have lost a little over the time.

post-14-1175571737[1].jpg

025 (2).JPG

post-14-1175571973[1].jpg

Top two photos would be the best match of a 'then and now'.

On the top (old) photo, Hanover Street flats and the power sub-station / National Grid building at the bottom of Moore Street are centre shot, with St. Mary's Church above and between the two. This old photo is looking South East, with the Norfolk Park flats in the background. MSC building just under construction (see cranes above sub-station)

On the centre (new) photo, Hanover Street flats are now centre right of shot, covered in green netting, with the sub-station just to the left again. St. Mary's is obscured by the new tower block, on St.Mary's Gate, but if you look to the top right of the flats, you can see "Sheffield's Red and White" emblazoned on the Bramall Lane stand.This photo is looking in a more Easterly direction, with Granville Road in the centre background and City Road on the horizon

The bottom shot is pointing in a different direction again, probably due East this time, with Park Hill flats in the centre background and the Bernard Road incinerator chminey making smoke to the left.

On all three photos, you can see several well-known Sheffield landmark buildings, past and present in different places on each image. Grosvenor hotel, Town Hall, Cathedral, etc. and it's only the direction of shot (and passage of time) that's maybe misleading. The bottom shot is grainy, but in colour and you can see the copper-coloured tower building on the right centre that used to be on Arundel Gate. Can't immediately recall what it was used for, but it's sat there between Telephone House and the Grosvenor.

Nice teaser and thanks for posting...dates on top and bottom were all 1979? Late snows in March then?...

1 hour ago, ukelele lady said:

Thank you RLongden for pointing out some of the main buildings, it's hard to make them out on the older picture.

You're welcome and looking again at the old grainy photos, if joined together would make an (almost) seamless panorama of the City, looking West to East and stretching from Park Hill to Norfolk Park, with Duke Street > City Road on the horizon and the City Centre in the foreground.

With apologies for the artistic licence and the 'Blue Peter' cut/paste job, I've tried to show the old and new panoramas together, with some notable landmarks picked out across the scene. The depth of field and perspectives are a bit off and I washed out the far horizon on the new birdseye to replicate the old skyline, but hopefully it does the job?

Good old Google Maps! lol

SH_Sheffield Old and New Birdseye.jpg

Wow that's even  better. I have plenty more of these, I took them from floor L of the Hallamshire hospital this year.

March 2016 (2).JPG