Sheffield Barracks/hillsborough

MotownJunk

Hey Everybody 

This is my first post i am new to the forum!

Over the past two years ive been reunited with some members of my family who i lost contact with when i was young this inspired me to learn more about my family tree. 

My great great grandfather Martin Bryan was a Cpl in the 69th Regt and the 2nd Welsh Regt and was based at Sheffield barracks in 1883, i already know abit about his military career and him as a person but i was wondering when he joined the army an where, did he serve overseas or in any campaigns, I used to be in the armed forces myself and as many male members of my family has served as well i haven't had a problem getting hold of there records. However ive searched high an low but cant seem to find my great grandfathers military records. Does anybody have a list of the soldiers that where based at Sheffield barracks in 1883 or could help me with any of the above?

I find this all very fascinating as i have a huge interest in history

Cheers Daniel 

Hey Everybody :rolleyes:

This is my first post am new to the forum!!

Over the past 2years ive been reunited with certain people in my family who i lost contact with when i was young because of this its inspired me to search and learn more about my family tree. Ive done fairly well but theres still a few gaps about family members am trying to fill many of which i will most likely post at a later date in hope of somebody been able to help.

My great great grandad Martin Bryan was a Cpl in the 69th Regt and the 2nd Welsh Regt and was based at sheffield barracks in 1883, i already know abit about his military career and him as a person but i was wondering when he joined the army an where, did he serve overseas or in any campaigns, I used to be in the armed forces myself an many male members of my family has served aswell and i havent had a problem getting hold of there records. However ive searched high an low but cant seem to find his military records. Does anybody have a list of the soldiers that where based at sheffield barracks in 1883 or could help me with any of the above

I find this all very fasinateing as i have a huge interest in history

Daniel :P

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. There's a long thread about the barracks Here that might be of interest. As to your g.g.grandad's records, we've a couple of members who might be able to help. I'm sure they'll be along shortly!

I find this all very fasinateing as i have a huge interest in history

Daniel :P

Hello and welcome to the Site Daniel, there are a number of people doing their level best to find out and publish ... well, everything really. Hope you can contribute with questions, comments and information. The Barracks census records are arriving as we speak; I've got 1871 through to 1901 though due to computer problems/stupidity Stuart may be the one posting them up.

Hope you find some useful stuff there.

Please keep us updated with your progress.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Daniel,

there are papers on Find my Past for a Martin Bryan, born at Athy, Kildare in 1845, you would need to purchase some credits to view the papers though.

Dean.

On 04/04/2010 at 07:37, deansgirl said:

Hi Daniel,

there are papers on Find my Past for a Martin Bryan, born at Athy, Kildare in 1845, you would need to purchase some credits to view the papers though.

Dean.

Ey up Dean

Thank you very much il check that out, Martins dad was from County Kildare and that looks like the right sort of date

Cheers

Hi

First name(s): Martin

Last name: BRYAN

Calculated year of birth: 1845

Parish of birth: St Michaels

Town of birth: Athy

County of birth: Kildare

Age at attestation: 18 years

Attestation date: 6 March 1863

Attestation corps: 69th Foot

Attestation soldier number: 800

Discharge rank:

Discharge corps:

Discharge soldier number:

The National Archives reference: WO97 / 2396 / 106

There are 9 images available for this soldier.

Married Annie Philps at Portsea Hants. Roman Catholic church of St John 26th April 1880.

Place of discharge = Londonderry, In consequence of his having been reduced to the ranks, from the rank of corporal.

On 05/04/2010 at 10:25, bonnie said:

Hi

First name(s): Martin

Last name: BRYAN

Calculated year of birth: 1845

Parish of birth: St Michaels

Town of birth: Athy

County of birth: Kildare

Age at attestation: 18 years

Attestation date: 6 March 1863

Attestation corps: 69th Foot

Attestation soldier number: 800

Discharge rank:

Discharge corps:

Discharge soldier number:

The National Archives reference: WO97 / 2396 / 106

There are 9 images available for this soldier.

Married Annie Philps at Portsea Hants. Roman Catholic church of St John 26th April 1880.

Place of discharge = Londonderry, In consequence of his having been reduced to the ranks, from the rank of corporal.

Thank You Very Much!!!

Thats him, is it possible for you to get hold of those 9 images available as i only have one picture of him

Once again thank you very much!!

These images are his attestation papers....

I have tried to PM you my email address but I don't think you have enough posts.

I have tried to PM you my email address but I don't think you have enough posts.

We are asking Admin to reduce the number of posts needed to be able to PM (needed to keep the loonies from invading the place with junk messages); please bear with us.

On 08/04/2010 at 08:50, bonnie said:

Ah okay yes i am a new member so i dont think i can receive that yet