Ordnance Survey

POPPYCHRISTINA

That's brilliant. In fact in view of their previous attitude a bit too good to be true! <_<

I'll wait with interest for the detail!

That's brilliant. In fact in view of their previous attitude a bit too good to be true! <_<

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/viewer/

Seems to work.

Guest Gramps

I can't get into the site but I doubt very much that historical maps will be part of the data available. The OS sold the rights to the early surveys to Landmark who charge silly prices for printing off low resolution scans of little use to local historians.

Hopefully Google will make them available one day, all the surveys up to 1900 are well out of UK copyright, but it's ridiculous that we should have to rely on Google to supply historical material that our ancestors paid for with their taxes.

I can't get into the site but I doubt very much that historical maps will be part of the data available. The OS sold the rights to the early surveys to Landmark who charge silly prices for printing off low resolution scans of little use to local historians.

Hopefully Google will make them available one day, all the surveys up to 1900 are well out of UK copyright, but it's ridiculous that we should have to rely on Google to supply historical material that our ancestors paid for with their taxes.

This seems to be working now, as Gramps hinted, it only covers OS's current mapping.

Worth a look at all the same, providing you like maps :)

Guest Gramps

Useful article in the Guardian today about the OS data, - what's available and links to the various datasets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/apr/02/ordnance-survey-open-data