Random Memory

Sheffield History

Post a random memory

Something from your past

Doesn't matter what the subject is - or what the story is about

Just post a random memory of Sheffield...

Let's see what comes out !

My earliest memory is when we lived on Main Road, Handsworth/Darnall

I was very young - not sure how old - around 5 ?

I went up to the shop which was on the corner of Main Road and Banham Road or Logan Road (not sure which one it was)

I went into the shop - picked a liquorice catherine wheel - and handed over my 2p

The woman gave it me back and told me off

She'd sussed out my little trick of taking up coins made out of cardboard out of my toy shop that I had at home

lol

I think the shop was converted into a house at some point ?

Going missing, aged about 4, with my cousin aged 3 and a half, we'd wandered out the top gate of the garden at out home at 12 Birkendale, we'd gone to find my Dad, who was happily ensconsed in The Blake pub.

Long hot summers in the 1970s...

Catching the bus from home to town, then on to one of the superb green spaces, perhaps Encliffe Park walking all the way up the Porter to Ringinglow. Watching the wildlife as we went, I still recall spending hours watching water voles under a bridge in Encliffe Park.

Then having to face the walk back to S2 as we had spent our bus fares at the cafe at Wire Mill Dam!

I would if a couple of 9, 10 or 11 years old would do that these days? Shame that society doesn't allow them the pleasure and freedom.

Guest tsavo

Post a random memory

Something from your past

Doesn't matter what the subject is - or what the story is about

Just post a random memory of Sheffield...

Let's see what comes out !

Our woodwork teacher at Western Road Secondary was a great teacher who managed, despite old fashioned and worn out tools to make the subject interesting. For years he had, every year requested a new lathe, only to be told, "sorry not this year"!

Our class decided to help him by throwing panel pins into the motor, thus forcing the school to replace the lathe. IT WORKED! The next term he showed off his new machine, his pride and joy. Then, I learned what irony was.

We were banned from using it on the grounds that we'd buggered the old one! Life can be so unfair.

Guest nosy nellie

One of my earliest memories is of Sundays in the fifties.Everywhere you went around sunday dinner time,yes it was dinner time in the old days not lunch.

You would smell the sunday roast and hear family favourites in the radio,and after family favourites it would be Billy Cottons Bandshow

T he men would go for a drink to the local in their suits,children had to respect the fact that it was sunday and it was very quiet.

After tea the family would all congregate around the wireless to listen to Journey into space.

What exitement how did we contain ourselves