The Fiesta nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Just came across these receipts been sittng in an old wallet all these years

I like "the Stars comments on the back

i always used to get in the Fiesta free because the head doorman at the time lodged with my parents. We lived at the lyceum hotel on langsett rd and i can remember the comedian Dave Allen coming in one afternoon brought in by a couple of the bouncers who worked at the fiesta they were good mates of my dad and mum .

Would that be Albert Green or Mich Crich?

I seen to remember the Sheffield Fiesta closing for a few months for refurbishment about 1977. When it re-opened the first show was called 'Geisharella' from the USA and ran for a couple of months - it initially caused quite a stir as it was advertised as having topless dancers, I believe for the first few weeks they kept their 'bras' on until the 'City Fathers' decided that sort of a show could proceed. Not long after there was another USA based show starring Nelson Sardelli from Las Vegas - he was a singer, comedian and 'gunslinger' - he is still going strong and we exchange emails every now and again. The two doormen, Albert Green and Mick Crich, used to let me in free and I kept them in alcohol. After the evenings entertainment had finished and the crowds had left the stars would come out into the foyer/bar area and drink with the staff. Such halcyon days - a pity they cannot return.

I had my first "legal" drink at the Fiesta. My parents took me and some friends there for my 18th birthday in February 1971. The act that night was Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon who had had a huge hit with Breaking down the Walls of Heartache. We had chicken in a basket which was the only food choice apart from scampi and chips.

Guest MercuryEditor1

I actually appeared there as a member of Jimmy James and the Vagabonds on Saturday August 6th 1978, my 21st birthday. Top of the bill in my home town. It was a great night.

Chicken in a basket - those were the days and the Fiesta was the place to be lol

If my memory serves me well :wacko: I think I went to see David Essex there - FAB.

Guest Cordelia

Came across this website by accident. Was really nice to see though. My Father was Terry Clayton, who was the resident band leader, NOT Tony Clayton as somebody else wrote, and we certainly never owned a paint and wallpaper shop, although at one time I think Pat McCluskey did live above one. As I was only young at the time, I didn't see many of the acts, but I know they worked with quite a few. One of dad's favourites was Tommy Cooper, of which I have a photo of them somewhere. Haven't looked at the photos on the site yet, can't wait to bring back a few memories. Myself and my sister did get to see Showaddywaddy and David Essex though, and my sister used to be in quite a few of the panto's that they held there. Keep the memories coming.

my mum remembers your dad he was malcolm dearing.

I can't wait to read the book on the Fiesta, it should be very interesting.

It is not released until 12th October and is called "No Siesta Til Club Fiesta "

But then again the title makes it sound a bit tacky, but never the less I will be buying it.

Guest detox22

I can assure you there's nothing tacky about the book! The title is actually a story in itself. In the run up to the first Fiesta venue opening (Stockton in 1965) Keith Lipthorpe - who opened it with his brother Jim as I'm sure you're aware - went without sleep for three days in order to get everything ready. At the end of the inaugral night, when he'd finally got the place open, he collapsed and had to be carried out! So 'No Siesta 'Til Club Fiesta' seemed quite apt!

Did one of The Star reporters visit the Fiesta sometime after it had closed (not sure when) and took photos of how it had been left? I vaguely remember this - does anyone else? If it is recorded somewhere in an earlier post or another part of the site, can the Link Fairy work the magic?

I can assure you there's nothing tacky about the book! The title is actually a story in itself. In the run up to the first Fiesta venue opening (Stockton in 1965) Keith Lipthorpe - who opened it with his brother Jim as I'm sure you're aware - went without sleep for three days in order to get everything ready. At the end of the inaugral night, when he'd finally got the place open, he collapsed and had to be carried out! So 'No Siesta 'Til Club Fiesta' seemed quite apt!

Ah that explains it then, I wish it was still open today. Looking back we didn't know how lucky

we were to have a place like that.

But then , there's always karaoke :o:P;-) :angry:

Guest proterra

Les Dennis also used to compare there along with Marti Caine.

they still owe me some money as I had bought tickets for Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons when they went bust. Think it was about £20 they owed me

Les Dennis also used to compare there along with Marti Caine.

they still owe me some money as I had bought tickets for Frankie Valli & 4 Seasons when they went bust. Think it was about £20 they owed me

With interest of course.

Just finished reading " No Siesta " Til Club Fiesta ", what a great little book.

It brought back many of memories with plenty of pictures to view and it

also gave a good insite to what went on behind the scenes.

Thanks to the Lipthorpe brothers for giving Sheffield the opportunity to

see big stars in our own city ,it's a shame it didn't last..

One of the reasons of course was the ever rising fees of the stars , not much

has changed in that area over the years.

Well worth the read.

Guest Paul Robinson

They had big bands there too. I saw The Buddy Rich Big Band there & The Stan Kenton Orchestra there, and to add to your list of artists I did it with The Brotherhood Of Man, (I was their drummer) :-)

Just finished reading " No Siesta " Til Club Fiesta ", what a great little book.

It brought back many of memories with plenty of pictures to view and it

also gave a good insite to what went on behind the scenes.

Thanks to the Lipthorpe brothers for giving Sheffield the opportunity to

see big stars in our own city ,it's a shame it didn't last..

One of the reasons of course was the ever rising fees of the stars , not much

has changed in that area over the years.

Well worth the read.

Only just catching up with most of the threads, this book is currently on sale on eBay if anyone is interested, just type in the item number (111378110101) and it'll come up, it's second hand and a tenner with postage.

Guest Linda Grady

Loved this place saw David Essex ,showaddywady ,Brucie ,drifters,tony christie,the new seekers many times Gladys night and the pips and many more.shame it closed I think it's because they gave to many tickets away I didn't pay for that many but was always there x

Guest Shirley McLean

Apologies - posted in the wrong section!

We played the Fiesta Club THE McLEAN SISTERS supporting Harry Secombe ( nice man ) the staff were lovely to us ( we were pretty young , Scottish and had never been to Yorkshire before! )

I can only praise the The Sheffield Fiesta Club as it managed to achive something that the others could only dream about - every top act / band in the WORLD wanted to play it! ( GENIUS and I have no idea how they achived this but they did!)

We had been working for quite a few years for the BBC prior to ' getting the call' from our agent Forrester George in London to say that we were 'playing the fiesta club' - I remember the excitement!

The club really was ' a big deal ' a credit to the North!

( see Showaddwaddy story in NEW POST under Harry Secombe)

I remember Martin St James was always there, I saw him once but once was enough.

I also saw Jerry Lee Lewis. wow what a man. It was about the early 80s.