The Fiesta nightclub Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest katjay

Welcome to the site Katjay. Were you working there at the same time as my sister, her name was Carol Jeffries

Thanks for the welcome I do remember Carol Jeffries we had some good times she will remember Yvonne from stockton, and Patrick and his mum they had the side bar and dear Betty Gunn who I still see

Guest kazads

i always used to get in the Fiesta free because the head doorman at the time lodged with my parents. We lived at the lyceum hotel on langsett rd and i can remember the comedian Dave Allen coming in one afternoon brought in by a couple of the bouncers who worked at the fiesta they were good mates of my dad and mum .

My Mum was a 'Fiesta Fawn' and she worked on the wine bar wearing a waist coat half black and half red she was the youngest fawn at only just 18. To get a job as a fawn you had to pass a initiation test and carry 12 full pints of beer on a tray with one hand but my mum nearly didnt get a job because a couple of days before she was invoved in a car accident and broke her wrist but lucky for her she was right handed and if she didnt get the job me and my 2 sisters wouldnt be here today because my dad also worked there as the second chef and thats how they met each other. She used to send pints down in the dun waiter and my dad would send up mint choc chip ice cream (Her favorite). Heres a few Names of people she remembers , Pauline on reception, Sue Mather, Noey first chef (Long time friend of the family), Pat Bennett, Pat M'c dusky and Terry Clayton. It would be nice to hear from you.

Saw Bernard Manning there. No one would sit at the tables around the stage for fear of being picked on. Bernard came out and started walking around the edge of the stage, nodding to these empty tables, muttering "Evening, evening" He the looked up at the rest of the audience and said "Kamikaze Pilots Reunion club".

Priceless!

Saw a few - at the time - 'top acts' not on your list there including :

(All of) The Nolan Sisters.

Patty BolauYe (Think I spelled it right - but still remember how stunning she looked)!!

Davis Soul (Was he Starsky or was he Hutch)? So popular he did two shows in one night)

and

Little and Large

(The house compare made the mistake of nicking one of 'Sid's' jokes as he introduced a support act - Sid heard and was clearly behind the curtain as the compare tried to introduce them, poor compare was slaughtered by whatever he heard becoming unable to speak through giggles - was nearly the best part of the show)!

Fely so grown up going there!

My Mum was a 'Fiesta Fawn' and she worked on the wine bar wearing a waist coat half black and half red she was the youngest fawn at only just 18. To get a job as a fawn you had to pass a initiation test and carry 12 full pints of beer on a tray with one hand but my mum nearly didnt get a job because a couple of days before she was invoved in a car accident and broke her wrist but lucky for her she was right handed and if she didnt get the job me and my 2 sisters wouldnt be here today because my dad also worked there as the second chef and thats how they met each other. She used to send pints down in the dun waiter and my dad would send up mint choc chip ice cream (Her favorite). Heres a few Names of people she remembers , Pauline on reception, Sue Mather, Noey first chef (Long time friend of the family), Pat Bennett, Pat M'c dusky and Terry Clayton. It would be nice to hear from you.

Excellent !

Good post there - and welcome to the site !

Guest june newton

Tony White was a compare and so was Marti Cane (before she was famous). I had my 21st celebrations there Mike Reid was on!! I got lots of comps because my Mom was friends with Lea a lady who did the bookings etc.

I saw Dion Warwick there and Neil Sedaka, we sat by the stage for Neil Sedaka and a woman threw him a rose, it fell on the floor and my Mom picked it up and put it on the stage, he saw her and thought she had given it him, so he sang a song just for her, the woman behind us was furious!!!

Dont forget Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons saw them a couple of time Frankie is still performing here in the US he is in his Seventies. The Four Tops came into Jackson the Tailors on the Moor? when I worked as a Salesman I sold a pair of Maroon Leather shoes to Duke (The one with glasses) they gave me free tickets for the show, Duke is the only one still performing.

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA.

Don't know where you are in the States Dave but if you are ever in New York make sure you go and see "Jersey Boys" an excellent Broadway show about the "Four Seasons"

Don't know where you are in the States Dave but if you are ever in New York make sure you go and see "Jersey Boys" an excellent Broadway show about the "Four Seasons"

Arizona but who knows it may come to Phoenix

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA

Guest MartinC

Don't know if i missed em on the lists but i saw The Supremes(unfortunately without Diana Ross-but still brilliant!!

Also saw Trammps.

Heck I recall seeing Les Dawson there and the year must have been 1971 (?). Funny now that I recall never laughing but there again I was only 18 back then. Oh I got in free as I used to work round the corner. I know I saw other acts but cannot recall now. Maybe Tom Jones (but cannot remember). Makes me feel so old now looking at those images but at the time the A1 place!

Michael

Came across this website by accident. Was really nice to see though. My Father was Terry Clayton, who was the resident band leader, NOT Tony Clayton as somebody else wrote, and we certainly never owned a paint and wallpaper shop, although at one time I think Pat McCluskey did live above one. As I was only young at the time, I didn't see many of the acts, but I know they worked with quite a few. One of dad's favourites was Tommy Cooper, of which I have a photo of them somewhere. Haven't looked at the photos on the site yet, can't wait to bring back a few memories. Myself and my sister did get to see Showaddywaddy and David Essex though, and my sister used to be in quite a few of the panto's that they held there. Keep the memories coming.

Welcome to the site and thanks for putting a few facts straight !

Good to see you - hope you enjoy the site

And if you have any pictures that you could share that would be fantastic !

Guest shely

THE FIESTA CLUB

Sandwiched between Arundel Gate and Pond Street

PICTURES

The Whiteman Brothers Live At The Fiesta

FACTS

The Fiesta Club had a resident band - this was "The Terry Clayton Band" for most of the venue's lifetime but there was another resident band at one point, The Andy Wardough band that was accompanied by dancers.

The manager of the Fiesta during the 70's was a man called Frank Pickering. There was a boxer by the name of Ronnie Crookes who was the much feared doorman.

The bar staff were made to pull half pints into pint glasses whilst the acts were on, so that when it got busy between acts it was quicker to pull the pints for the customers !!

One of the beers served was 'Camerons' and it's reported to not have tasted very nice !

Food was chicken in a basket, with lettuce and tomato or scampi and chips. (waitress service too)

The club itself was very dark, with much of the only light coming from the lamps on the tables ! There's some people who have told us that there used to be telephones on each table too and you could call other tables up with them ? (can anyone confirm this ?)

There was a hypnotist that played the club regularly - Martin St James who was a small man with a goatee beard who used to have a clinic just off high street.

LIVE ACTS THAT PLAYED THE FIESTA

Bee Gees

Bob Monkhouse

Bruce Forsyth

Cilla Black

Del Shannon (1971)

Edwin Starr

Eve Graham (full week of shows 22nd-28th September 1974)

Freddie Starr

Gene Pitney

Gladys Knight

Glen Campbell

Hot Chocolate

Jimmy Ruffin

Joe Pass (1974)

Junior Walker

Ken Dodd

Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen

Les Dawson

Larry Grayson

Lou Christie

Middle Of The Road

Mike and Bernie Winters

Mike Read

Nookie Bear

Norman Wisdom

Showaddywaddy (21st, 22nd, 23rd Sept 1974 & 21st, 22nd, 23rd Sept 1978 & 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th Feb 1980)

Stevie Wonder

The Beach Boys (6 nights - November 29th to December 5th 1970)

The Drifters

The Dubliners (24th March 1973)

The Four Tops

The Jackson Five

The New Seekers

The Temptations

Tommy Cooper

Tommy Hunt

Tony Christie

Grumbleweeds

*did you go to the Fiesta club ? do you know of any facts or bands that are missing from this post ? if so click 'reply' now and let us know !*

LINKS

Picture of the Fiesta - http://www.ronsandersoncollection.com/disp...3&gallery=2

Guest alzymer

I worked as a bar/cellarman, someone who stocks up the bars during the daytime, and works behind the bar at night, back in 1970. I remember Keith Lipthorpe, one of the owners, coming down into the cellar one day and turning off the electric power to the main room above. He'd just got the electric bill! Unfortunately, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition were rehearsing on the stage above, and within five minutes the power was turned back on.

THE FIESTA CLUB

Sandwiched between Arundel Gate and Pond Street

PICTURES

The Whiteman Brothers Live At The Fiesta

FACTS

The Fiesta Club had a resident band - this was "The Terry Clayton Band" for most of the venue's lifetime but there was another resident band at one point, The Andy Wardough band that was accompanied by dancers.

The manager of the Fiesta during the 70's was a man called Frank Pickering. There was a boxer by the name of Ronnie Crookes who was the much feared doorman.

The bar staff were made to pull half pints into pint glasses whilst the acts were on, so that when it got busy between acts it was quicker to pull the pints for the customers !!

One of the beers served was 'Camerons' and it's reported to not have tasted very nice !

Food was chicken in a basket, with lettuce and tomato or scampi and chips. (waitress service too)

The club itself was very dark, with much of the only light coming from the lamps on the tables ! There's some people who have told us that there used to be telephones on each table too and you could call other tables up with them ? (can anyone confirm this ?)

There was a hypnotist that played the club regularly - Martin St James who was a small man with a goatee beard who used to have a clinic just off high street.

LIVE ACTS THAT PLAYED THE FIESTA

Bee Gees

Bob Monkhouse

Bruce Forsyth

Cilla Black

Del Shannon (1971)

Edwin Starr

Eve Graham (full week of shows 22nd-28th September 1974)

Freddie Starr

Gene Pitney

Gladys Knight

Glen Campbell

Hot Chocolate

Jimmy Ruffin

Joe Pass (1974)

Junior Walker

Ken Dodd

Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen

Les Dawson

Larry Grayson

Lou Christie

Middle Of The Road

Mike and Bernie Winters

Mike Read

Nookie Bear

Norman Wisdom

Showaddywaddy (21st, 22nd, 23rd Sept 1974 & 21st, 22nd, 23rd Sept 1978 & 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th Feb 1980)

Stevie Wonder

The Beach Boys (6 nights - November 29th to December 5th 1970)

The Drifters

The Dubliners (24th March 1973)

The Four Tops

The Jackson Five

The New Seekers

The Temptations

Tommy Cooper

Tommy Hunt

Tony Christie

*did you go to the Fiesta club ? do you know of any facts or bands that are missing from this post ? if so click 'reply' now and let us know !*

LINKS

Picture of the Fiesta - http://www.ronsandersoncollection.com/disp...3&gallery=2

I worked as a bar/cellarman, someone who stocks up the bars during the daytime, and works behind the bar at night, back in 1970. I remember Keith Lipthorpe, one of the owners, coming down into the cellar one day and turning off the electric power to the main room above. He'd just got the electric bill! Unfortunately, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition were rehearsing on the stage above, and within five minutes the power was turned back on.

I think he knew the Electricity Board were going to put the receivers in! I did some work on the sound system in 1974, the Walker Brothers were there, also saw the Four Seasons, Rockin Berries, Grumbleweeds. One thing that always stood out was the real gold tiled staircase from the foyee to the club room.

Guest derfice

[http://www.ronsandersoncollection.com/disp...3&gallery=2

i remember seeing russ abbot and the baron knights there.

Yes it was full waitress service. There was a bar in the disco though.

Hi mickjj this is my first post and I am quite proud for it to be connected with the fiesta, I was one of the original "fiesta fawns" I applied for the job and can remember having to pass the test of being able to carry 12 pints of beer on a tray before getting the job!! I progressed to working on the wine bar which was attached to the restaurant top right corner of the club as you got to the top of the stairs... I had my eye on one of the chefs in the kitchen and he me!! he used to send me ( via the dumb waiter attached to the bar) mint choc chip gateau and I would send him down a glass of shandy lol!! next year we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary... we have three teenage daughters that ask about the club everytime we pass arundel gate... lovely memories of lovely times and people!

Guest transit

Hi mickjj this is my first post and I am quite proud for it to be connected with the fiesta, I was one of the original "fiesta fawns" I applied for the job and can remember having to pass the test of being able to carry 12 pints of beer on a tray before getting the job!! I progressed to working on the wine bar which was attached to the restaurant top right corner of the club as you got to the top of the stairs... I had my eye on one of the chefs in the kitchen and he me!! he used to send me ( via the dumb waiter attached to the bar) mint choc chip gateau and I would send him down a glass of shandy lol!! next year we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary... we have three teenage daughters that ask about the club everytime we pass arundel gate... lovely memories of lovely times and people!

...what a great story ! makes a change from Roxys ! - Welcome to the site , and enjoy !!!!!

Hi mickjj this is my first post and I am quite proud for it to be connected with the fiesta, I was one of the original "fiesta fawns" I applied for the job and can remember having to pass the test of being able to carry 12 pints of beer on a tray before getting the job!! I progressed to working on the wine bar which was attached to the restaurant top right corner of the club as you got to the top of the stairs... I had my eye on one of the chefs in the kitchen and he me!! he used to send me ( via the dumb waiter attached to the bar) mint choc chip gateau and I would send him down a glass of shandy !! next year we celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary... we have three teenage daughters that ask about the club everytime we pass arundel gate... lovely memories of lovely times and people!

A big welcome to the site and what a great story. I don't know if you have read all the posts on the Fiesta but I must ask if you remember my sister Carol? She was there from the club opening and would have handed you you wage packet. Let me know if you you do remember her.