Arnold Loosemore Vc Dcm

Stuart0742

Received this by email

Hi,

my great uncle was Arnold Loosemore VC DCM. My granfather Ernest was his younger brother. I have been researching my family history for some time. I have been looking for a photograph of Ernest Loosemore, York and Lancaster Regiment. Can you help please. I have photograghs of Arnold but not my granfather.

From BOB LOOSEMORE

Received this by email

Hi,

my great uncle was Arnold Loosemore VC DCM. My granfather Ernest was his younger brother. I have been researching my family history for some time. I have been looking for a photograph of Ernest Loosemore, York and Lancaster Regiment. Can you help please. I have photograghs of Arnold but not my granfather.

From BOB LOOSEMORE

According to the following topic

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=5958&st=0&p=37110&hl=loosemore&fromsearch=1&#entry37110

Deansgirl has an image of Ernest Loosemore and the other brothers. Bob needs to contact Deansgirl direct

Guest Trefcon

He should be here, http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7723&st=0&p=54953&hl=loosemore&fromsearch=1&#entry54953

Would love to know more on Ernest. Can also send better hi res images if needed.

Dean.

Received this by email

Hi,

From BOB LOOSEMORE

As the VC is the highest military honour it perhaps isn't so suprising that Arnold loosemoor has a street named after him in Sheffield.

Loosemoor Drive, S12 was built in the 1980's at the top of Gleadless Common between Gleadless View and Hurlfield Road, running behind the old Hag Lane Tanks water works.

Realising this, and the fact that this information may be of interest to this thread I went across there to take the photograph of the street because I knew that when the street was first built there was a commemorative plaque fitted to the wall with details about Arnold loosemoor VC DCM on it.

I really wanted to get a picture of this plaque and its details.

Unfortunately, as this next picture shows, the plaque is no longer there, it has either been removed or stolen :angry:

On the wall where the road sign is there is a lighter patch to the left and below the level of the road sign. This lighter patch shows clear signs of being drilled and Rawlplugged (still present in this picture if you look). This was the exact position of Arnold Loosemoor's memorial plaque on the street that is named after him.

Bit of a sad anticlimax to a post that I thought was going to offer more information, - but still glad I bothered to go out with my camera and find out.

As the VC is the highest military honour it perhaps isn't so suprising that Arnold loosemoor has a street named after him in Sheffield.

Loosemoor Drive, S12 was built in the 1980's at the top of Gleadless Common between Gleadless View and Hurlfield Road, running behind the old Hag Lane Tanks water works.

Realising this, and the fact that this information may be of interest to this thread I went across there to take the photograph of the street because I knew that when the street was first built there was a commemorative plaque fitted to the wall with details about Arnold loosemoor VC DCM on it.

Unfortunately, as this next picture shows, the plaque is no longer there, it has either been removed or stolen :angry:

On the wall where the road sign is there is a lighter patch to the left and below the level of the road sign. This lighter patch shows clear signs of being drilled and Rawlplugged (still present in this picture if you look). This was the exact position of Arnold Loosemoor's memorial plaque on the street that is named after him.

Bit of a sad anticlimax to a post that I thought was going to offer more information, - but still glad I bothered to go out with my camera and find out.

Good find nevertheless Dave.

I could have saved you a journey Dave, that street sign has been missing some years now!

Dean.

By "missing" I take it that its been stolen then rather than just removed :angry:

Does anyone know what has happened to it or where it has gone?

Are there any plans to replace it?

This is a memorial to a local hero we are talking about.

Guest Dyson lane

He should be here, http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7723&st=0&p=54953&hl=loosemore&fromsearch=1&#entry54953

Would love to know more on Ernest. Can also send better hi res images if needed.

Dean.

Hi Dean, I learnt from WWW.loosemore.co.uk Ernest married Elsie Caswell January 1919, my father Kenneth Ernest was born in Sheffield in 1923. Looks like they moved to Lichfield where they had more children.

I knew my Grandad Ernest when he was living in Walworth London SE17. He worked for Goodmans a removal company. Also on my fathers birth certificate his occupation was given as Blacksmiths Striker.

Bob

Guest Trefcon

Thanks for the extra info Bob, Chris Hobbs links to some of my stuff i posted on the Great War Forum, i'll get it on here and anything else i have on the Loosemores.

cheers

Dean.

Just as sad as the theft of the memorial plaque is this piece of political vandalism. :(

OK so there is an election coming up and all we hear about lately is politics from one party or another.

But this street name is a tribute to a war hero and it isn't really appropriate to stick political rallying stickers on it.

Some of us may find it offensive enough to influence the way we vote. :angry:

I bet they dont know what 'Loosemore' means !

Of course Loosemore could be the local candidate of that particular party, - so it reads "Vote Loosemore" <_<

Guest mickbhoy

Hi there Hopefully I can be of some use here.

I lived at 1 Loosemore drive from when It was built. We still have pictures from the naming cerimony with the lord mayor.

More importantly My mother still lives there. Now as for the plaque there was repeated vandalisim in which it was destroyed twice however on the last occasion we chased the vandals off and retrieved the plaque and repaired it. We have it safe so if you want to photograph the plaque nexct to the sign I a happy to arrange that for you contact me on mickdavison@rocketmail.com

|We have twice asked the council to fix the thing mrs securly but there not interested.

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum, and many thanks for your kind offer. One of our roving photographers will I'm sure be in touch shortly!

Hi there Hopefully I can be of some use here.

I lived at 1 Loosemore drive from when It was built. We still have pictures from the naming cerimony with the lord mayor.

More importantly My mother still lives there. Now as for the plaque there was repeated vandalisim in which it was destroyed twice however on the last occasion we chased the vandals off and retrieved the plaque and repaired it. We have it safe so if you want to photograph the plaque nexct to the sign I a happy to arrange that for you contact me on mickdavison@rocketmail.com

|We have twice asked the council to fix the thing mrs securly but there not interested.

Welcome to SheffieldHistory mickbhoy and thank you for posting this reply.

I am pleased that the sign is still in existance and is in safe hands. Thank you for your kind offer to view and photograph it.

I live locally so I will try to arrange a convenient time to get a picture ar two for posting on here in the new year.

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum, and many thanks for your kind offer. One of our roving photographers will I'm sure be in touch shortly!

I live quite close to Loosemoor Drive Bayleaf (walking distance) and I will arrange a photo of the sign with mick once Christmas and New Year are out of the way.

I live quite close to Loosemoor Drive Bayleaf (walking distance) and I will arrange a photo of the sign with mick once Christmas and New Year are out of the way.

Thanks Dave, nice to have a happy conclusion!

Guest mickbhoy

As there seems to be no interest in getting photographs of the plaque i am sending it to the duke of wellington regimental museam where it will be kept safe.

i tried guys, you had your chance

As there seems to be no interest in getting photographs of the plaque i am sending it to the duke of wellington regimental museam where it will be kept safe.

i tried guys, you had your chance

Sorry mickbhoy, - I had completely forgotten all about this once Christmas was out of the way.

At least you are sending it to a place where it will be valued and kept safe from the abuse it was receiving out in the street.

It's a sad story about this plaque on Loosemore Drive; vandalism pure and simple. There is better news though!

A replacement cast Bronze Plaque was donated by two Sheffield men in December 2014 and they had it bonded to the wall! You can read about this here:

http://www.loosemore.group.shef.ac.uk/index_Page341.htm

and here:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/retro/diminutive-sheffield-military-hero-being-remembered-at-last-1-7105030