This is part of a painting credited as 1840.  It shows the iron bridge, leading onto Kelham Island , so the Union Bridge will be the short span (arrowed) across to Cotton Mill Walk.

iron_bridge.thumb.png.869e262562474b79d6

Great work has been done by the 'Friends of Bridgehouses Footbridge' group! The bridge will be officially re-opened by the Lord Mayor next weekend.

http://www.southyorkshirethroughtime.org.uk/?event=refurbishment-iron-bridge-bridgehouses-footbridge

Hello All, Very sadly my friend and organiser of the Bridgehouses friends group, John Errington, passed away before Xmas after a long fight with cancer. The friends group, his family, and other supporters will be looking to build on the work previously done on the site. It's worth a visit! The signage and information remains in place and will be expanded on.

This recent Sheffield Star obituary piece talks about where the Bridgehouses project fitted in a remarkable life.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/much-loved-sheffield-teacher-set-to-deliver-message-from-beyond-the-grave-1-9542200

There's a lot of info on the first Iron Bridge in Coalbrook Dale but this little bridge was only built a few years after so it should have more recognition for its place in history BUT like Mary Queen of Scots time in Sheffield it's never ever mentioned. Sadly the original bridge was destroyed by the bursting of the Dale Dyke Dam or so I've been led to believe.

Hello All, I'm running the friends group of the bridge and would appreciate a small bit of help. Was the 1841 bridge always just called 'Iron Bridge'? Or was it, or any of it's predecessors, ever named? We are looking at giving it a name (or restoring it's original name). 

Many thanks!