Charter Row

Guest downtimer

Guest downtimer

Hello.

I work at Milton House on Charter Row In Sheffield. I know the present building was built in 1973, and has since been refurbished twice.

Could anyone tell me what used to be here before ?

Les.

Hello.

I work at Milton House on Charter Row In Sheffield. I know the present building was built in 1973, and has since been refurbished twice.

Les.

Hi downtimer and welcome.

A quick search of this site found a couple of mentions.

One on a thread about Genevieve night club and another on Charter Row.

Here

And Here

I don't know how much info there is in the threads.

Got to go to work now. :(

There may be more. I'll try later.

Hello.

Les.

I suppose the quick answer is, there wasn't anything.

Charter Row is relatively new built in the mid to late 60's, when the area was slum cleared.

Button Ln ran roughly along the route of Charter row, from the end of Moore St/ junction with Fitzwilliam St to Moorhead.

BT's Eldon House which is just below Milton House was built in the mid 1960's, at this time Milton House was just cleared land, used as a car park.

Charter Row is relatively new built in the mid to late 60's, when the area was slum cleared.

Button Ln ran roughly along the route of Charter row, from the end of Moore St/ junction with Fitzwilliam St to Moorhead.

BT's Eldon House which is just below Milton House was built in the mid 1960's, at this time Milton House was just cleared land, used as a car park.

Factories, back-to-back houses with court yards .. picturesheffield u02497

Pre 1900 comparison

Hi downtimer and welcome.

A quick search of this site found a couple of mentions.

One on a thread about Genevieve night club and another on Charter Row.

Here

And Here

I don't know how much info there is in the threads.

Got to go to work now. :(

There may be more. I'll try later.

I bet it was me that posted stuff in these threads about the time that my wife used to work in Milton House :rolleyes:

She's not worked there for 15 years now, since Freemans moved out to their new place at Attercliffe.

So downtimer, - what goes on in Milton House these days?

Which company / companies work from there now?

Welcome to Sheffield History by the way.

Guest downtimer

I bet it was me that posted stuff in these threads about the time that my wife used to work in Milton House :rolleyes:

She's not worked there for 15 years now, since Freemans moved out to their new place at Attercliffe.

So downtimer, - what goes on in Milton House these days?

Which company / companies work from there now?

Welcome to Sheffield History by the way.

Many and varied, William Hill call centre , H.S.B.C. Learning and developement, Capita Hartshead, Identity and Passport Service to name but a few.

Thanks .

Many and varied, William Hill call centre , H.S.B.C. Learning and developement, Capita Hartshead, Identity and Passport Service to name but a few.

Thanks .

I knew their would be more than one company there.

When my wife worked at Freemans in Miltons House the Freemans call centre only occupied one floor (it was a long time ago and I didn't go in very often but I think it was the 3rd floor, and possibly not all of that floor). The other floors, even then, were being used by other companies and businesses.

Thanks for your photo links Dave.

I think they fully confirm the answer that Stuart had given previously

I have another picture looking the other was towards Eldon Hose where you can see the car park where Milton House was going to be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheffdave/1966840496/in/set-72157594304242775

Eldon House opened in the early 1960s to house the new Trunk Exchange for the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialing (STD). It replaced the trunk exchange that had previously been in the Head Post Office (HPO) in Fitzallen Square

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheffdave/305623783/

& the local central exchange that had been in the basement of Telephone Buildings at the bottom of West Street

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheffdave/5136095654/

Eldon House was originally a L shaped building. In the early 1970s an extension was built that was about twice as big as the original building that made it in to a square building with a court yard in the middle. This then had another office (link) block across the middle of it.

I have another picture looking the other was towards Eldon Hose where you can see the car park where Milton House was going to be.

http://www.flickr.co...157594304242775

Eldon House opened in the early 1960s to house the new Trunk Exchange for the introduction of Subscriber Trunk Dialing (STD). It replaced the trunk exchange that had previously been in the Head Post Office (HPO) in Fitzallen Square

http://www.flickr.co...dave/305623783/

& the local central exchange that had been in the basement of Telephone Buildings at the bottom of West Street

http://www.flickr.co...ave/5136095654/

Eldon House was originally a L shaped building. In the early 1970s an extension was built that was about twice as big as the original building that made it in to a square building with a court yard in the middle. This then had another office (link) block across the middle of it.

Hey Dave,

You're not an old telephone engineer are you?

If so did you used to work with our member Stuart0742?

[no prizes for saying what the 0742 stands for]

Yes, I am!

I think so, if he's who I think he is. (Going on his 1st name & where he lives) :)

I am sure Stuart will know you then. He did work in telephone house in the 1980's and early 1990's

I am sure Stuart will know you then. He did work in telephone house in the 1980's and early 1990's

No Dave, Eldon House to be correct

I did work with Dave in Eldon for many years, happy rota days lol 15 years now since I left BT

No Dave, Eldon House to be correct

I did work with Dave in Eldon for many years, happy rota days lol 15 years now since I left BT

So you do know each other then. I thought you would.

If you insist on calling it Eldon House what posh fancy name are you going to give to that other telephone place you worked at near where I live in Intake?

The one which you and your mates altered from a telephone exchange into a table tennis competition centre.

So you do know each other then. I thought you would.

If you insist on calling it Eldon House what posh fancy name are you going to give to that other telephone place you worked at near where I live in Intake?

The one which you and your mates altered from a telephone exchange into a table tennis competition centre.

Keeping to the Topic :P Eldon House and Telephone House, both on Charter Row are different buildings, nowt posh about it lol

Keeping to the Topic :P Eldon House and Telephone House, both on Charter Row are different buildings, nowt posh about it lol

It looked posh, especially when it had big pretentious logo like this on it.

That wasn't a logo - that was when BT won the world yard of ale drinking championships!

They scrapped "Buzby", a large yellow bird who perched on the phone lines and tapped into the phone system at a nearby telegraph pole as their logo for the yard of ale drinking championships.

I liked Buzby, I didn't like the pied piper.