Yorkshire Engine Company

madannie77

From British Industries Review, September 1924. This proved to be awkward to scan as the pages were wider than my A4 scanner and were not very well cut. I managed to get all the text and images in (just!)

Page 1

i-sWB2d7w-X3.jpg

Page 2

i-dgZwQgj-X3.jpg

Page 3

i-3PrWkb6-X3.jpg

Page 4

i-SJHHzvx-X3.jpg

• Like 2

This country used to equip the railways of the world. My first machine commissioning job in Asia was in South Korea. One of the British men stopping in my hotel was overseeing the assembly of 200 underground trains exported from GEC Manchester. The new trains were to improve the Seoul underground ready for the Seoul Olympics. Having thrown our industry away we have to import trains now.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 13:01, madannie77 said:

From British Industries Review, September 1924. This proved to be awkward to scan as the pages were wider than my A4 scanner and were not very well cut. I managed to get all the text and images in (just!)

Page 1

i-sWB2d7w-X3.jpg

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

That  4-8-0 is quite a beast. As it was built for Spain it would have been broad-gauge too, so quite a whopper. Its clean, uncluttered lines betray its British origin.

On 17/04/2019 at 13:01, madannie77 said:

Page 1

i-sWB2d7w-X3.jpg

Page 2

i-dgZwQgj-X3.jpg

Page 3

Page 4

This one, on the other hand, looks like a "foreigner", with its abundance of steam domes, its headlamp and other clutter. The Nitrate Railways were in Chile, but British-owned (hoorah!) It was one of six which Yorkshire Engine sent out there. I don't know if any of them were preserved.

The company had first supplied engines to this line in 1873 and at intervals since; these, built in 1924, were the last.

In March 1945 the USC had made a generous bid for the whole of the capital of the Yorkshire Engine Company.  A cash payment of £22 was offered for the ordinary shares, on which no dividend had been paid since 1925. The shares were quoted on the Sheffield Stock Exchange and for a long time were valued at 30 shillings, but the price had recently risen to £4.

At the United Steel Company's AGM in November 1948, the Company Secretary, Ronald Peddie, read out the Chairman's Report which included the following:

YORKSHIRE ENGINE COMPANY

We bought this company three years ago.  It was our intention to use it to build and re-build our own locomotives, of which we have 163, to act as a machine shop for Steel, Peech and Tozer's forgings, for which it had acted for a number of years, and to assist in repairs and maintenance for the Sheffield works.  We have modernised the works but we have been compelled to change our plans about locomotive building to some extent because of the great demand for locomotives.  We are continuing to build industrial locomotives for other industrial undertakings and we have a contract to build locomotives for one of the railways.

• Like 1

They must have supplied a large number of engines to industrial lines, judging by the number of different liveries depicted in the advert.

Did they sell some to B.R? I have a memory of some centre-cab diesels on the national network, though I don't think they lasted very long.

Looking at the beginning of this topic I note an early MD was a Sacre….Would I be wrong in assuming he was related to the Sacre who designed some of the early locomotives on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Looking at the beginning of this topic I note an early MD was a Sacre….Would I be wrong in assuming he was related to the Sacre who designed some of the early locomotives on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway?

No doubt they were painted in his own choice of livery, Sacré Bleu?

But seriously, a good point, well spotted.

11 hours ago, Athy said:

Did they sell some to B.R? I have a memory of some centre-cab diesels on the national network, though I don't think they lasted very long.

That would be the BR Class 17, Clayton Type 1. BR did buy YEC locos, the class 02 shunter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lysanderix said:

There was also the diesel hydraulic class14.

As far as I'm aware the class 14's were all built at Swindon. They did build the chassis and bodies for the class 15 BTH locomotives. They also built some centre cab locomotives for industrial use but not for BR.

Nigel L

On 17/01/2023 at 08:57, Lysanderix said:

Charles Sacre, the Locomotive Superintendent of the MS & L Railway was one of the founding group of Yorkshire Engine Co (Archibald Sturrock was another), and the first MD, Alfred Sacre, was his brother.

15 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

As far as I'm aware the class 14's were all built at Swindon. They did build the chassis and bodies for the class 15 BTH locomotives. They also built some centre cab locomotives for industrial use but not for BR.

Nigel L

The first batch of ten Class 15 locos were assembled at YEC, works numbers 2642-2651 (BR numbers D8200-8209). YEC were a subcontractor on this job from BTH and built the frames and completed the assembly of the locos, the engines coming from Paxman and the bogies and superstructure from Clayton.

The rest of the Class 15s were assembled at Clayton.

17 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

That would be the BR Class 17, Clayton Type 1. BR did buy YEC locos, the class 02 shunter.

YEC built a batch of 20 0-4-0 diesel hydraulics for British Rail, works numbers 2809-2818 and 2843-2852, British Railways numbers D2850-2869, later known as the Class 02.

YEC also built 50 0-6-0 Pannier Tanks for British Railways (Western Region) between 1949 and 1956. Works numbers were 2443-2472, 2544-2553 and 2575-2584. These were British Railways 8450-8479, 9490-9499 and 3400-3409. The latter two batches were built by YEC as a subcontractor to the Hunslet Engine Company.

• Like 1

Lemmy, I-was adding to the general discussion with busmansholiday about centre cab types on BR….not specifically about those with a YEC  connection.

Its all very fascinating stuff and madannie has certainly added to my knowledge about our late local loco manufacturer….thanks!

16 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

Lemmy, I-was adding to the general discussion with busmansholiday about centre cab types on BR….not specifically about those with a YEC  connection.

Its all very fascinating stuff and madannie has certainly added to my knowledge about our late local loco manufacturer….thanks!

Hear hear.

The company closed in 1965.

The factory was at Meadowhall. Meadow Hall Works at the top of the map. The main building is still extant and used by Chesterfield Special Cylinders. There are a couple of photos taken in 2009 in the first post of this topic. 

meadowhall works.jpg

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125650771#zoom=5&lat=9767&lon=11221&layers=BT