Sheffield Motor Company

Cavendish Street

Sheffield

Production. 1903 - 1905

LA PLATA

Burgon & Ball

Malin Bridge

Sheffield

(Possible manufacture of some cars but mostly "Badged" models were sold.)

SHEFFIELD SIMPLEX

Sheffield Simplex Motor Works Ltd.

Tinsley

Sheffield

Production. 1906 - 1922

More

Y.E.C.

The Yorkshire Engine Co.

Sheffield

Production.

STRINGER

Stringer & Company (Sheffield) Ltd.

Wincobank Steel Works

Sheffield

Production. 1913 - 1932 appx

RICHARDSON

CE Richardson & Co Ltd.

Finbat works

Aizlewood Road

Sheffield

Production 1919 - 1921

H F G

C Portass & Son

Broadfield Rd

Sheffield

Production. Post WW1 - 1921

CHARRON LAYCOCK

WS Laycock Ltd

Archer Rd

Millhouses

Production. 1919 - 1926/7

Yorkshire Engine Co, Meadow Hall Works, built cars from 1907-1910 in conjunction with a London based company called Motor House".

Tony Vernon, in Yorkshire Engine Company (The History Press, 2008)gives figures of 18 cars completed, several more not completed and lots of spare parts left over when the Motor House went bankrupt. Attempts to go it alone by YEC were unsuccessful and the venture was officially abandoned in 1914.

RICHARDSON

CE Richardson & Co Ltd.

Finbat works

Aizlewood Road

Sheffield

Production 1919 - 1921

Wasn't Ginetta founded in Sheffield, not sure if they still make them here tho but I know they used to be near or on Amos Rd

Andy

Wasn't Ginetta founded in Sheffield, not sure if they still make them here tho but I know they used to be near or on Amos Rd

Andy

I've had a look.

Ginetta Cars Ltd

Hoyland Ind. Est.

Sheffield S3 8AB

(Old address: Unit 12, Amos Road, Meadow Hall, Sheffield S9 1BX, United Kingdom.)

Also found:

Cornish works, Old Station Drive, Sheffield S7 2PY

It seems they were founded in Woodbridge, Surry. in 1958

Now made in Leeds but based in Sheffield.

I don't know what that means.

I've had a look.

Ginetta Cars Ltd

Hoyland Ind. Est.

Sheffield S3 8AB

(Old address: Unit 12, Amos Road, Meadow Hall, Sheffield S9 1BX, United Kingdom.)

Also found:

Cornish works, Old Station Drive, Sheffield S7 2PY

It seems they were founded in Woodbridge, Surry. in 1958

Now made in Leeds but based in Sheffield.

I don't know what that means.

Nice one Vox! great research, i was sure they were near meadowhall at one time tho

I'm not sure about this one but the Yorkshire Motor Car Co. Ltd,

had premises at the top of Townhead Street, with the junction of Pinfold Street.

picturesheffield u02816

More photos on picturesheffield show;

The blacksmith's shop u02811

The body shop u02814

The trimming shop u02813

And the showrooms showing Armstrong Whitworth cars u02812

Armstrong Whitworth tourer car built by Yorkshire Motor Car Co. u02809

As there is no mention of engine or chassis production, perhaps these were assembled in another part of the county?

I have launched a web site about the Winco/Stringer Winco cars

http://www.wincocars.co.uk/

Glad to hear from anyone with any more detail

I have launched a web site about the Winco/Stringer Winco cars

http://www.wincocars.co.uk/

Glad to hear from anyone with any more detail

Welcome to Sheffield History, Coaland.

We might be hard pressed to add much more detail to your fantastic website: it looks quite comprehensive already, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if something new turns up. That's how it happens on Sheffield History.

• Like 1

Greetings from a new kid on the block (well not so much of a kid) Does anyone have any more details of cars which were assembled at Burgon and Ball on Holme Lane? Tony

Benjamin Hind the MD of Burgon and Ball from 1900 was reputed to be the 3rd person in Sheffield to own a motor car. B and B were selling cars from 1903 - 6 and in the early 1920s, possibly more dates in between. They were agents for Clement-Talbot of Ladbroke Grove, London. Mr H Burgon (possibly son Harry) was driving a 15/20 hp Clement-Talbot in competition during 1908. Clement-Talbot was founded in 1903 by Charles Chetwynd-Talbot (20th Earl of Shrewsbury) and Adolphe Clement-Bayard, Talbot being the name used to sell the French Clement-Bayard cars. From 1905 the cars were assembled from French parts at Ladbroke Grove. It was probably easier to ship kits of parts up to the north for assembly here, rather than than getting complete cars shipped.

The National Archive has 2 photos of cars outside the La Plata works, one is labelled " W.H.Wragg 25/50 hp Talbot Chassis No 10473 Supplied June 1921". Mr Wragg was probably the proprietor of the long established knife making firm.

Many thanks for the information. I did contact Burgon and Ball but they said they had no knowledge of any car related business. I will pass this on to them. Regards Tony

I'm not sure about this one but the Yorkshire Motor Car Co. Ltd,

had premises at the top of Townhead Street, with the junction of Pinfold Street.

picturesheffield u02816

More photos on picturesheffield show;

The blacksmith's shop u02811

The body shop u02814

The trimming shop u02813

And the showrooms showing Armstrong Whitworth cars u02812

Armstrong Whitworth tourer car built by Yorkshire Motor Car Co. u02809

As there is no mention of engine or chassis production, perhaps these were assembled in another part of the county?

I remember those premises as being used by Needham Engineering who were Electrical Wholesalers during the 1960's.

They also sold electronic components and when I worked at the t'other University (the proper one) I used to be a regular customer for semiconductors. The sales counter was upstairs and you couldn't miss the enormous lift in the middle of the shop. The assistants used it to fetch bits from the floor above and looked strange standing in the middle of the thing which was semi open on all sides.

I saw the Picture Sheffield photo's years ago and I then realized why the lift was so big.

HD

What about one of the first Manchester car makers, the little known 'Belsize' garage in Higher Openshaw. ( on Wikipedia.)

In the reception at Laycock Engineering, Archer Road in the early 1970's there was an old car. If my memory is correct it was said to be a Charron Laycock car.