WEST BAR - Sheffield City Centre

Guest Jeremy

Guest Jeremy

Ja91.jpg

Ja92.jpg

Ja93.jpg

WEST BAR - Sheffield City Centre

According to Martin Olive's 'Central Sheffield', West Bar is the former location of Sheffield's only known town gate. It was used to stop the animals grazing on the Shalesmoor from wandering into the town.

Here's a few photos that I took in the area in 2002(?). I've not been there recently, but I think that many of the buildings shown are now gone.

Jeremy

Ja90.jpg

NICE ONE !!!

I've been looking for that photo of ZAKI's for the last 4 weeks !!

ha ha !!

Brilliant - thanks for posting it - I've seen it loads of times before but can't remember where it would have been ?

One the one looking up the hill towards the roundabout - didn't that blue place on the left used to be a sauna/massage parlour ?

Guest Jeremy

I used to have those photos on my old Sheffield history website. So that's probably where you've seen them before.

Jeremy

yeah probably

Zaki's has a soft spot in my heart for being the place where I experienced one of the worst curries of all time

Didn't stop me going though

lol

One the one looking up the hill towards the roundabout - didn't that blue place on the left used to be a sauna/massage parlour ?

Don't know if it was the blue building but a "sauna" operated from one of those buildings when I worked not far from there, back in the 1980s.

Anyone else remember when the Don Cinema building was the home of "Bradford Woollen"

I remember Bradford Wollens, seem to recall they moved buildings in the 1970s?

Don't know if it was the blue building but a "sauna" operated from one of those buildings when I worked not far from there, back in the 1980s.

the sauna what was on there was ceasars but before the scandal starts i used to do my work experience at SYMAPS (SOUTH YORKSHIRE METROPOLITAN AMBULANCE REPAIR WORKSHOP)just down the road on opposite side,also i remember on the same road there was the star paper vehicle garage,ascar tyres + exhausts,a car rental place but the one that always interested me was a place at top of road called i think milans or milanos what i never saw open ever in 3years and sure i remember walking to a chippy near top on left hand side

Number one shows the Moseley pub on the left, number two shows the Shalimar Curry House and electronics shop next to it, as I remember it from the 1970's. TY

21 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 16.24.30.jpg

Zaki Indian Restaurant
Galaxie Sales second hand shop
Toby Cars Taxis office above it

I found my own answer. 😄

s23948.jpg

On 27/03/2020 at 16:24, Sheffield History said:

Zaki's was the (awful) Indian Restaurant

I heard bad things about Zaki's. 

I loved going to Galaxies. 

57 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Good little walk that, brought back some good memories. 

A walk down Bank Street would be nice. Some great old buildings there. 

Great channel, keep it up. Similar to Gimbal Walk but that's more walks abroad. 

49 minutes ago, Gamal said:

Good little walk that, brought back some good memories. 

A walk down Bank Street would be nice. Some great old buildings there. 

Great channel, keep it up. Similar to Gimbal Walk but that's more walks abroad. 

Thank you very much!

(I've split them up so Gimbal Walk is purely for abroad or UK, and Sheffield Videos is purely for Sheffield walks/drives/interviews etc)

I've got a Bank Street walk coming up, and a Campo Lane and Paradise Square one coming real soon too!

• Like 1

It’s a shame that this plaque shown on the very first photo has now been painted over, quite a mistake I think.

B21CA3BB-2288-414A-9280-3C5BA8F56A43.png

• Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 16:25, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 16.24.30.jpg

Zaki Indian Restaurant
Galaxie Sales second hand shop
Toby Cars Taxis office above it

Didn't it become the Shalimar??

I recall going in for my first ever restaurant curry after a night in Cairo's, would have been early nineties.