1841 Richard Merrington

Brewers Arms 28 Broad Street

1849 E Lowe

Britannia Protection 26 Pea Croft

1849 Henry Malloy [ Whites ]

The Blue Dumpling (The Ball) Pitchford Lane

The Making of Sheffield.

Eric Youle.

"In Redmires or Sandygate Road, at the corner of Pitchford Lane, stood The Blue Dumpling Inn, one of three cottages still standing, but the inn was usually called the Ball, because the sign was something resembling a ball, presumably intended to look like a dumpling painted blue. Right on the top and below the junction with Pitchford Lane was The Healds, a piece of land on which four very handsome houses were built, and which were in 1918 occupied by Mrs. Peace, Mr. Duncan Gilmour, Mr. W. W. Wood, and Mr. H. Shelley Barker.

Mr. Creswick also told me that where the Model Dairy afterwards stood was once an extensive pleasure ground, shown on the old ordnance maps of the district. George Woollen, who had the Rivelin Corn Mill and a retail shop in Church Street, laid this ground out in very tasteful and ornamental fashion, with many flowers. He also built there a castellated place called "The Roundabout," which, with two levels of land, extended right away up to Holly Mount. Mr. Woollen was a curiosity in his way;

he used to journey to Doncaster on horseback, and kept journals of every journey, showing how far each horse had travelled; when it had done a certain mileage, it was retired for stud purposes.

Few people who know Sheffield well will need reminding that at one time Ranmoor Road ended at the top of Jenkin Hill, and that a mere thread of a footpath joined it and the bottom of Tom Lane. Traffic, apart from pedestrians, went down Jenkin Hill and along Nethergreen Road, so joining up at the bottom of Tom Lane. Smiths Wood lay on the plateau below the descent through the woods from Ranmoor Road and Jenkin Hill, and this wood, like old Park Wood at the other end of the town,was the recognized scene of many notable fights. The Bull's Head, Ranmoor, at that time was known as The Highland Laddie, and, as with The Blue Dumpling higher up, the change in nomenclature was not for the better."

Also - The Highland Laddie entry in the A-Z doesn't mention that it's the original name of the Bulls Head. Although The Bulls Head entry refers to it. Shouldn't it go both ways ?

Also - The Highland Laddie entry in the A-Z doesn't mention that it's the original name of the Bulls Head. Although The Bulls Head entry refers to it. Shouldn't it go both ways ?

Great stuff Vox, Thank you.

Highland Laddie record now refers people to Bull's Head, 396 Fulwood Road.

I'll get around to sorting yer Dumplings later he he

Great stuff Vox, Thank you.

Highland Laddie record now refers people to Bull's Head, 396 Fulwood Road.

I'll get around to sorting yer Dumplings later he he

Too late - av etnum.

Apologies to one and all for my absence; I'm trying to catch up on Pub updates whilst Ukelele Lady is away. My spreadsheet was at 13,500 two weeks ago, today and flagging from red wine intake, I'm at 24,457, so, hopefully worthwhile in the long run.

Remarkable work from UKL, add that to own stuff, we are flying, unfortunately it takes a long time to do ... and means other research has gone "by the way" for a while.

Has anyone any information on a Commercial 23-25 West Bar?

I've got a name and a date for this one but only one, is it a new one?

At the very minimum I'm hoping this is a new name (possibly for an existing pub - Crown maybe ?)

Lord Edward Hotel, George Shannon Bramall, 14 Scotland Street (1911 Census image).

I don't know the pub name or the landlord ...

Bramall, George S. (, beerhouse).

Residing at 14 Scotland Street, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Find Similar at Same Address if Available Surname Match if Available

(Sheff Indexers)

Which can this one be, ever heard of it anyone?

The Wall Inn, 17 Scotland Street

1876 Mrs Maria Greaves

Which can this one be, ever heard of it anyone?

The Wall Inn, 17 Scotland Street

1876 Mrs Maria Greaves

1871 Census

Ball Inn Alfred Morton 55.

1871 Census

Ball Inn Alfred Morton 55.

Thank you syrup, it is obviously a spelling mistake in the directory.

Any ideas on this one?

1879 Young Samuel & Co 3-5 Haymarket

1889 Mrs C Naylor [ manageress ] Young's Vaults , Shambles. :mellow:

Any Ideas on these two

Birmingham Arms, Hawley Croft

1883 Britannia Music Hall, 115 West Bar. A Pogson

Any Ideas on

1883 Britannia Music Hall, 115 West Bar. A Pogson

Check Tankard/Old Tankard/Great Takard/Dirty Great Big Tankard - all listed (on mine) at 115 West Bar; no Pogson though and my data runs out in 1881. I have 'em listed under Tankard and Old Tankard; one of the names is probably fictional he he

Check Tankard/Old Tankard/Great Takard/Dirty Great Big Tankard - all listed (on mine) at 115 West Bar; no Pogson though and my data runs out in 1881. I have 'em listed under Tankard and Old Tankard; one of the names is probably fictional he he

Worth a punt on 1881 census for Pogson if anyone has a fully functional set of fingers and five minutes to spare.

Worth a punt on 1881 census for Pogson if anyone has a fully functional set of fingers and five minutes to spare.

1881 Census 590, Shoreham St,

POGSON, Arthur Born Worksop 1854 Brewers Cashier ( Clk )

1891 Census 327, Shoreham Street, Brewers Manager

Sounds like a beer trade man. Thank you Syrup.

Have another Pogson.

Arthur Pogson, Grocer, beer retailer & coal dealer, 65 Horner Road, Abbeydale Road (Kelly's Directory of 1893).

Making no claims regarding this - just for information.

Arthur Pogson, from Sheff & Roth Indie, Sept 22 1883:

This is fantastic reading, it sounds as though it was a grand place in it's time. If it held 1,000 people it

would have quite large.

It sounds as though it could be the Tankard at 115 West Bar as RichardB suggested but as in the article

it says Thomas Turner's father kept it for 36 years up to him dying in 1866. We have a Jarvis Turner as

keeper before Thomas so that most likely was his father.

The Bedford Tavern

14 Cross Bedford Street

1937-38 Willie Cooper

The Barrell 16 Charles Street

1854 Ellis Hollingsworth