Are These New Ones?

ukelele lady

The Raven Arms anyone ?

85 Tenter Street

1854 Joseph Charles Wroe

The Plumper's Inn ???

Butterthwaite, Ecclesfield

1854 John Canson

The Raven Arms anyone ? 85 Tenter Street 1854 Joseph Charles Wroe The Plumper's Inn ??? Butterthwaite, Ecclesfield 1854 John Canson

85 Tenter Street 1851 Census.

Correct Person. Correct Address. sadly cant help with Pub name.

John Canson. No trace.

85 Tenter Street 1851 Census.

Correct Person. Correct Address. sadly cant help with Pub name.

John Canson. No trace.

Thanks for trying syrup.

Guest Paul Withers

I am researching theatres music halls, and pubs that issued checks (tokens) that mention clubs, entertainments and the like. Many of the music halls were originally pubs with a room attached, very simple affairs, some of these grew to become quite large affairs. The ones that I am currently seeking information on are the Royal Parisian Concert Hall, the Royal Pavilion, Sheffield, proprietor Thos. Jackson; and the Royal Alhambra Concert Hall, which may, or may not be the Palace/The Alhambra in Attercliffe Road.

All of these issued one or more tokens. Also the Gaiety Palace, which was on the corner of West Bar and Corporation Street, which was also known as Cromwell's Varieties.

Paul Withers.

Hi Paul

I'm sorry I can't help you with information about tokens, the only tokens

I can remember are those that came from Banners and those from our local milk man.

Maybe Richard will know of these and will be able to help you when he comes back

from "holidaying ;-) " in London.

Guest Paul Withers

Thank you, Ukele Lady,

Perhaps I wrote my spiel in an unclear way. I already KNOW about the tokens, I want to know about the PUBS and MUSIC HALLS and CONCERT HALLS that issued them, their landlords and the like. Usually, a music hall started out as a pub with a room attached, a very simple affair, and grew from there. The ones that I am currently seeking information on are the Royal Parisian Concert Hall, the Royal Pavilion, Sheffield, proprietor Thos. Jackson; and the Royal Alhambra Concert Hall, which may, or may not be the Palace/The Alhambra in Attercliffe Road. Were the Alhambra and the Royal Alhambra one and the same, or different places ?

Regarding the Gaiety Palace (corner of West Bar and Corporation Street, aka Cromwell's Varieties) and the person who ran it, Mrs Cromwell, it is very unusual for a woman who is not a widow, or a daughter, to run a pub, or a music (or concert) hall. I am trying to find the original Mr Cromwell and the name of the pub that he was running before that became the music hall.

I am also researching token-issuing coffee houses/taverns, a movement that started out of the temperance movement, around 1870. There seem not to have been any of these that issued tokens in Sheffield, although in 1880 there were seven coffee houses open in Sheffield that were producing enough profit to give a 10% dividend to their share holders. The tokens for these, when there were any, were usually given out by Methodist ministers and their temperance colleagues, and their wives, and others, who were anxious to give charity to the deserving poor, but not those reprobates who would immediately spend any money given to them on alcoholic drink. Curiously, these coffee taverns, some of which started out as pubs, closed down around 1900, some of them even turning back into pubs !

I am doing this on a countrywide basis and it is utterly fascinating, but often need the help of those who are steeped in the local history of a particular area. I have 500+ directories (I am fairly serious about this) and computer access to those published on the web, but there are many more directories that I lack and Sheffield is a bit of a blind spot.

Paul Withers.

Regarding the Gaiety Palace (corner of West Bar and Corporation Street, aka Cromwell's Varieties) and the person who ran it, Mrs Cromwell, it is very unusual for a woman who is not a widow, or a daughter, to run a pub, or a music (or concert) hall.

Paul Withers.

Just a thought, could be the same Elizabeth.

1887 to 1890 William O Cromwell [ 40 High Street & Mulberry Street ]

1893 Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell.

Here .. &do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

1891 Census

Just a thought, could be the same Elizabeth. 1887 to 1890 William O Cromwell [ 40 High Street & Mulberry Street ] 1893 Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell. Here .. &do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent> &do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

1881 Census, it's him and her alright ...

Just a thought, could be the same Elizabeth.

1887 to 1890 William O Cromwell [ 40 High Street & Mulberry Street ]

1893 Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell.

Here .. &do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>