Nhs Praise

hilldweller

I've been laid low again by a nasty case of celluitis in my (very) funny leg. This means that I require large doses of anti-biotic, more than I can take by mouth.

In the normal course of events this would mean a longish stay in hospital, costing the NHS thousands when all that is required is an intravenous drip several times a day.

Also this would mean that my disabled wife would be left to manage on her own.

Luckily the Hallamshire now operate a service called OHPATS where suitable cases can stay at home and just attend hospital for an hour or so each day for a long-lasting shot or drip of anti-biotic and a review by the doctor.

If you cannot get yourself there, they provide a taxi but it must still be a big saving over being hospitalised.

It just shows that people within the NHS are sometimes capable of thinking "outside the box".

Anyway hopefully I'm on the mend and very grateful for the help I receive for what could if left untreated, be a very serious condition.

And to think that some americans think our health service is the work of the devil ! Long may it last !!!

HD

Nice to hear that the NHS are getting things right and providing a good service.

Over the past couple of years both my wife and myself have reached an age where our health is starting to give out a bit and we have both needed to see doctors more often than we would have liked to.

We don't go to the same NHS doctors practice. We have our own seperate doctors.

My wife finds the treatment she gets poor, lacking and leaving her feeling as though her life depends on the skills of incompetants.

My experience couldn't be more different, I find my treatment excellent, a service second to none leaving me feeling that I am in good care and being well looked after long term.

I'm glad hilldweller is getting a service like that which I have experienced and hope the treatment goes well.

Perhaps I've been lucky but my experience of the NHS has, with one exception, been superb. And the latest I can't find words good enough. Last Sunday my mum-in-law aged 86 had a very bad fall at home. The treatment she received at the NGH was brilliant throughout, but sorry to say she passed away last night. But again, the support we've had from the NHS staff, doctors, nurses, auxilliaries and everyone both while she was being treated and since has been wonderful. I just can't speak too highly of the NHS.

Perhaps I've been lucky but my experience of the NHS has, with one exception, been superb. And the latest I can't find words good enough. Last Sunday my mum-in-law aged 86 had a very bad fall at home. The treatment she received at the NGH was brilliant throughout, but sorry to say she passed away last night. But again, the support we've had from the NHS staff, doctors, nurses, auxilliaries and everyone both while she was being treated and since has been wonderful. I just can't speak too highly of the NHS.

Living where I do when I was diagnosed as wanting a replacement knee joint I was given the choice of either Rotherham or Bassetlaw(Worksop) hospital, and chose Bassetlaw, and the treatment I received from all concerned,Conslutant, Operating staff,Nurses right down to the tea ladies and cleaners was magnificent,care and medical attention was a credit to the hospital.