Anyone Remember ?

dunsbyowl1867

I recognise Cec Coldwell at the front and suggest its promotion to the first division in 1961.

The following season United finished 5th & Wendy 6th.

If only.............

I remember the Blades promotion to the old First Division in 1961 under manager John Harris,

runners-up to Ipswich Town.In the centre of the picture is Joe Shaw the finest centre half never

to gain an England cap , he was small in stature for a central defender. On his left shoulder was Alan

Hodgkinson goalkeeper, he gained 5 England caps.

At the right side of Joe was Graham Shaw ,he too gained 5 England caps.In front of Gaham is

Cec Coldwell, the captain.

I lived 75 yards from Graham on the Parson Cross estate and we both attended Southey Green

secondary school .

There were three Shaw brothers , Graham eldest, Brian an accomplished cricketer, Bernard youngest who

followed in Grahams footsteps to the lane and went on to play for Wednesday.

To the left of Alan Hodgkinson is Derek 'Doc' Pace, an old fashioned centre forward bought from Aston Villa, middle of the top row is Len Allchurch, his brother Ivor preceded him at the Lane. Top left, I think is Gerry Summers and the player in the foreground could be Billy Hodgson. I find it amazing how, year after year the team changed very little, players were replaced almost as they retired unlike today where teams have a mass clear-out of the 'rubbish' at the end of every season. And look at the strip! No advertising, not even a badge to kiss every time you score and on the back would be just a number and that shirt would belong to the same player year after year. Kids could buy a replica shirt and 10 years later it would still be current. Lot to be said for the good old days.

Too true Thylacine.

And when I lived briefly on Bishops Court Road, there were some normal semis opposite which belonged to SUFC. As far as I know they were for players to live in.

. . . and I swear I saw, one Saturday, Brian Richardson turn up at the Lane on a (corporation) bus and make his way through a crowd of people with his kit bag slung over his shoulder.