Another One For `daveh`

Waterside Echo

So why can't it be replicated? <_<

Not that I have any criminal intentions but that definately sounds like a bit of a challenge.

If we can crack the Enigma Code then we should be up for deciphering these alarm signals. lol

If you ever watched the film "Heat" i seem to recall the gang were up a telegraph pole with a laptop lol.

Here is some info, it seems to state that although monitoring can be done over normal lines seperate pairing

is prefered.

http://www.tycosafetyproducts-europe.com/English/Products/Intruder/signalredcare.asp

Hi W/E

Basically a telephone line is 1 pair or wires from the exchange to your house, its always been like that. You mention having 8 in the 60's, this would only have been from the point the BT/PO external cable finished and then into your house. For example if you lived in a flat, the Post Office external cable could have finished some way from your own flat. They probably used 8 wire cable because they had some spare, only 2 wires would have been used.

The overhead external cable BT use nowadays as you say has 2 pairs of wires, but only one is used, unless you have 2 lines then both would be used. The second pair could also be used if the 1st went faulty.

The internal cable - in days gone by we would have 1 phone connected to the end of the 1 pair of wires from the eachange, then people wanted extensions, due to the way telephones were designed and worked, in order for the bells to ring correctly 3 wires were required for internal extensions, therefore 4 wire (2 pair cable was used)

Then came sockets, in theory the master socket fitted by BT replaces the 1st hard wired telephone, all further slave sockets are equivalent to extensions and therefore require 3 wires.

However to simplify things in this DIY world its all been dumbed down to help people, Each phone socket has 6 connection even though only 4 connect through to the telephone, therefore 6 wire cable has become standard.

You connect terminal 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc you can't go wrong

If you are running your Broadband through your internal wiring I would suggest using the best cable you can get, (ie thicker wires)

Hi Stuart. Please don`t mock the afflicted, but why when the main telephone works with only two wires do the extensions have to have three. Where does this third wire come from and where does it connect to ? W/E.

So why can't it be replicated? <_<

Not that I have any criminal intentions but that definately sounds like a bit of a challenge.

If we can crack the Enigma Code then we should be up for deciphering these alarm signals. lol

While on the subject of the Enigma code can you help us out with this Year 6 homework question ? Insert > or < or = in 10 x 3 1/2 cube 6 x 6 1/2 . Thanks, W/E.

While on the subject of the Enigma code can you help us out with this Year 6 homework question ? Insert > or < or = in 10 x 3 1/2 cube 6 x 6 1/2 . Thanks, W/E.

I think this is just a piece of modern maths rather than the Enigma code lol

However, written out like this

10 x 3 1/2 cube 6 x 6 1/2

It is a bit ambiguous as the 3 1/2 could 10 times 3 and a half cubed OR 10 times 3, a half cubed, and as you are asking me to insert operators (> < =) into this expression I could interpret it differently and get different answers.

Would help if I could see the expression exactly as it is written in the book.

Now as this is a child friendly family site Richard, - I may have some undisclosed talents that it just wouldn't be right to disclose on here. ;-)lol

As Shakespeare once didn't famously say :

"I wouldn't like to be on the end of it, Dear Yorick"

As Shakespeare once didn't famously say :

"I wouldn't like to be on the end of it, Dear Yorick"

Well, I wouldn't want to take my undisclosed talents onto "Britains Got Talent" to be ridiculed by Simon Cowell and Co.

But as Hughie Green once famously said,-

"We want to see it folks,

so, for DaveH from Sheffield

tonight, - Opportunity Knocks"

I think this is just a piece of modern maths rather than the Enigma code lol

However, written out like this

10 x 3 1/2 cube 6 x 6 1/2

It is a bit ambiguous as the 3 1/2 could 10 times 3 and a half cubed OR 10 times 3, a half cubed, and as you are asking me to insert operators (> < =) into this expression I could interpret it differently and get different answers.

Would help if I could see the expression exactly as it is written in the book.

Hi DaveH. I have substituted the picture of a cube with the word `square`, so apart from that it is exactly as it is printed on the work sheet. W/E.

Hi DaveH. I have substituted the picture of a cube with the word `square`, so apart from that it is exactly as it is printed on the work sheet. W/E.

OK so I make that

10 x 3 1/2  6 x 6 1/2

If that prints OK

I now interpret that box to be the place where I need to place the operator which answers the question.

Unfortunately substituting the words CUBE and SQUARE is unhelpful as these terms are themselves mathematical operations

So one side of the expression is 10 x 3 1/2 (ten times three and a half) which gives 35

The other side of the expression is 6 x 6 1/2 6 times 6 and a half) which gives 39

Now, as 35 is LESS THAN 39 the correct answer to put where the box is must be the less than sign, i.e

35 < 39

Or, as it would appear as a written answer

10 x 3 1/2 < 6 x 6 1/2

Hope that answers the question.

OK so I make that

10 x 3 1/2  6 x 6 1/2

If that prints OK

I now interpret that box to be the place where I need to place the operator which answers the question.

Unfortunately substituting the words CUBE and SQUARE is unhelpful as these terms are themselves mathematical operations

From W/E.

Sorry, I should have said square in the first place. I ought to have known that > means higher and < is lower. Thankyou DaveH. P S Its All Saints in September so I may be calling on your services again. W/E.

From W/E.

Sorry, I should have said square in the first place. I ought to have known that > means higher and < is lower. Thankyou DaveH. P S Its All Saints in September so I may be calling on your services again. W/E.

No problem W / E

Just hope I have interpreted the question correctly and come up with the right answer.

Some of the old systems like the old auto dialers and some (but not all) digital comunicators were run over a normal line (non monitored). I was taught at college that alarms that are carried directly by line to a monitoring station must be sepperated (different wires ) Redcare is a very secure system any cut in the phone wires or tampering will alert the monitoring station.

Every monitored alarm system has its own unique signal that cannot be replicated. Its my understanding that every line has a number even the seperate monitored ones but this is only for testing the line . In theory

your correct that the signal can be sent over the same line as your normal telephone. However i think this would cause certain complications. I must also point out that it is mostly commercial premises i was familiar with but i presume all systems fitted in homes with redcare or similar are the same. Some security systems are backed up by GSM in case of line fault or failure.

I have a feeling you must have been in the same line of work as I am.

I have a very old copy of the redcare installers handbook somewhere and will have to dig it out.

As far as Im aware, redcare, which sadly seems to be dying out, can be used on a normal line with very few issues.

I think old fax machines used to cause it some upsets but the vast majority are connected to normal lines.

Now, there was a system called 'Red direct' which was like normal redcare but it signalled across 'Private Wires' and your spare pair would no doubt come in handy for this. Red Direct died out in Sheffield around five or six years back.

With the Dual Com Gsm/Gprs and the new Redcare 'Red Secure' system I think the costly classic redcare has had its day.

Quite a few high security applications, that would once have been connected to redcare are now being moved to 'IP' signals...another area of life being dominated by the internet!