Sheffield's Steepest?

ukelele lady

Is this the steepest street/road inSheffield?

We were always told so as a kid.

Blake street

Blake street pub at the top left, boarded up of course.

Is this the steepest street/road inSheffield?

We were always told so as a kid.

Blake street

Blake street pub at the top left, boarded up of course.

I think its Hagg Hill in rivelin thats very steep

Hi

I though Highcliffe Road was the steepest, it certainly felt as I walked up every day on my way to school

Perhaps not the steepest, but well up there with the others!

I think its Hagg Hill in rivelin thats very steep

I can vouch for Hagg Hill being very steep, I pushed a broken down motorbike up there in the mid 70s, bought for £5 from Fox Hill, seemed a bargin until we got to the bottom of Hagg Hill and looked up.

I can vouch for Hagg Hill being very steep, I pushed a broken down motorbike up there in the mid 70s, bought for £5 from Fox Hill, seemed a bargin until we got to the bottom of Hagg Hill and looked up.

I had a similar experience in the 60's. Scooter siezed up at Grindleford. Had to drain the tank then bring it back to Sheffield in a guards van. Left it overnight at the left luggage at the Midland station. Next day pushed it to my Gran's on Clarence Street, and a couple of days later pushed it (with a little help from a friend) from there to Rutland Road, then up Rutland Road and Cookswood Rd over Shirecliffe to home at Longley. The seven hills of Sheffield indeed!

I had a similar experience in the 60's. Scooter siezed up at Grindleford. Had to drain the tank then bring it back to Sheffield in a guards van. Left it overnight at the left luggage at the Midland station. Next day pushed it to my Gran's on Clarence Street, and a couple of days later pushed it (with a little help from a friend) from there to Rutland Road, then up Rutland Road and Cookswood Rd over Shirecliffe to home at Longley. The seven hills of Sheffield indeed!

There is a long running topic on Sheffield forum, they even have a poll going

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2666&page=21

Blake St seems favourite

followed by Hagg Hill, Jenkin Rd, with Kent Rd and Myrtle Rd bringing up the rear

There is a long running topic on Sheffield forum, they even have a poll going

http://www.sheffield...?t=2666&page=21

Blake St seems favourite

followed by Hagg Hill, Jenkin Rd, with Kent Rd and Myrtle Rd bringing up the rear

For me Blake Street is the historical answer, whatever the real truth. Other Streets may win over shorter distances; adverse campers and the suchlike may be steeper; may be more outlying Streets which didn't used to be in Sheffield. Some bits of Stocksbridge are tremendously steep, some vertical to my memory !!!!

happy days!

Woodfall Lane between High and Low Bradfield takes some beating.

Years ago a relative of my father-in-law was the sexton at Bradfield Church, and lived in that circular watch-house at the churchyard gate. He enjoyed his pint, but fell out with the landlord at the Horns along the lane, so ever after (and that was very many years!) he would walk down to the Cross at the bottom of the hill of an evening for his pint (or two) then back up Woodfall to get home.

Guest Medium Dave

RichardB> Good link but not sure about some of those figures. I always reckoned Blake St. was an even 1 in 6 (~16.6%) - admittedly this was by counting contours which is not an exact science, but Blake St rises approx 30m in its 180m length...

Also, Jenkin Rd may well average 10% but this is to neglect its insanely steep middle section - must be 1 in 5 at least. I guess this raises the question of whether a short steep street trumps a half-mile slog. I guess the question was 'Steepest Street'...

I think all the top contenders are round about the 1 in 5/ 1 in 6 mark. I will try and get some more accurate measurements though...