John Gilberthorpe (1787-1874)

ceegee

On the Sheffield Indexers site there is a burial record for a John Gilberthorpe in Burngreave Cemetery

GILBERTHORPE, John (Labourer, age 87). Died at Court 5 Dunn street; Buried on February 16, 1874 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 5, Section E4 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.

I am led to believe that John was described at the time of his interment as a "Trafalgar Hero" by the local press. Can anyone add anything further?

On the Sheffield Indexers site there is a burial record for a John Gilberthorpe in Burngreave Cemetery

GILBERTHORPE, John (Labourer, age 87). Died at Court 5 Dunn street; Buried on February 16, 1874 in Consecrated ground;

I am led to believe that John was described at the time of his interment as a "Trafalgar Hero" by the local press. Can anyone add anything further?

I've spent some time on this and I've got to say I'm defeated - a fine question.

[Might be nice to know Ships and Sheffielders involved; thus far I've only found Sheffield people on the Minotaur.] - Distinct thread to be started if anyone else can come up with others.

I've spent some time on this and I've got to say I'm defeated - a fine question.

[Might be nice to know Ships and Sheffielders involved; thus far I've only found Sheffield people on the Minotaur.] - Distinct thread to be started if anyone else can come up with others.

Not to forget Rev. Scott. though not from Sheffield came to live with his daughter & son in law and is buried in Ecclesfield churchyard - Nelson's chaplain on the Victory - I have posted a photo on here somewhere - damned if I can find it!

The newspaper clipping is dated 17th February 1874 and appears under the title DISGRACEFUL SCENES AT A SHEFFIELD CEMETERY. I have come across a few disputes of a similar kind whilst trawling through C19th newspapers. It is rather evident that these disputes gave rise to strong passions all round. It also seems to contradict the common notions of a staid and sombre Victorian funeral - an "indignation meeting" seems to be a rather interesting concept!.

As I stated in the earlier mail, any further information would be welcome

Guest Trefcon

Excellent post ceegee,

i started 'building the Victory' last year, but the model was discontinued. The model is now available again and will go the full run. So i have been searching for any Sheffield men that were at Trafalgar. I have a crew list of the Victory but there is no 'Gilberthorpe' on there. I have also checked the two books by Albert Jackson, 'The Burngreave Cemetery Grave Digger' and 'Victims of the Great War' in which he includes men from Balaclava, Indian Wars, South Africa etc and there's no mention of him in those. I believe any papers for him would be at TNA.

Dunsby, i searched for your post last week and found it by searching for 'Trafalgar', it's in the Ecclesfiled post's in the results.

Local Studies next for me then, i'll also see if there is a headstone remainig at Burngreave.

Dean.

Hi Deansgirl

There was a mail posting to Rootsweb in July 2005 re the Sheffield men at Trafalgar. The post stated

"Following a link posted on YORKSGEN I found this search engine for men who served in the Battle of Trafalgar

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/advanced_search.asp

Using this I found the following who are listed as being born in Sheffield.

John Cooper 38 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

James Gregory 18 Sheffield Landsman

Isaac Hammond 28 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

George Heberson 17 Sheffield Landsman

John Hill 24 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

William Ingham Sheffield Private, Marine

Thomas Kirk 20 Sheffield Landsman

George Lowton 20 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

William Mallison 19 Sheffield Private, Marine

Stephen Payne 22 Sheffield Landsman

Joseph Pochaine 20 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

Daniel Sinclair 25 Sheffield Quartergunner

James Wilkinson 34 Sheffield Ordinary Seaman

The age is that on the day of the battle, 21 October 1805.

There is a link to further information for each entry, usually including the names of their ships."

John Gilberthorpe sadly does not appear on the list - I know The Friends of Burngreave Cemetery conduct tours of the Cemetery and thought they may find some use for the information on John

Guest Trefcon

Hi Ceegee,

i've just downloaded those names from TNA to put on here, you beat me to it! Yes, no Gilberthorpe, but it does state that it is an ongoing project, also John might have been born elsewhere other than Sheffield. 'Albert Jackson' i have referred to is the guy who does the tour's, i know John, sorry 'Albert' well, he's also the guy who wrote the books, (with contributions from me for the Great War one)! I'll contact him because i know he will be interested in this.

I love the fact that Daniel Sinclair was on the 'Fighting Temeraire', i use that picture as my screen saver. Out with the old wind power and in with steam power !! Brilliant picture.

I should think this thread you started Ceegee could be extended greatly now we have some names etc.

It took me 6 attempts to get those names from TNA, the site kept freezing on me so i haven't had a good look at it.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Ceegee,

in ADM 29/1-96 at TNA there is a John Gilberthorpe born Rotherham. Served Royal Artillery, discharged aged 25, covering years 1812-1815, so the dates 'fit'.

This info comes from Certificate's of Service, for men who applied for a pension, gratuity or medal. These cert's are being used to complie the list of men at Trafalgar. Obviously more work needed to prove outright it is the same man.

Dean.

Hi Dean/Ceegee Hope this of interest.

Nov. 4

Battle of Trafalgar ; news came to the town of the

great victory of Trafalgar, and the death of Admiral

Nelson, on the 21st October.

" The hour of vengeance comes—by Gades' towers.

By high Trafalgar's ever trophied shore.

The godlike warrior on the adverse powers

Leads his resistless fleet with daring prore.

Full on the foe he hurls his fires.

Performs the dread behest, and in the flash expires." - Pye

Dec.5.

Observed as a day of thanksgiving for the transcendant

victory of Trafalgar ; collected at the three

churches, "for the relief of the families of the slain"

£100. 17s. 11d.

1806 October 21

First anniversary (commemoration of the battle of

Trafalgar) of the Nelson club ; " Its fund, the benefit

of which no member can receive, is raised by

regular contributions, and is applicable only to patriotic

and charitable purposes."

This reminds me of a memorial I came across in a churchyard in Thornton-le-Dale in North Yorkshire - I later read that the claim about Napoleon was dusbious but in those days I suppose when men got to be such a great old age there was no one left to disagree!