Gentleman's Outfitters

dunsbyowl1867

126 & 128 West bar.

126 & 128 West bar (1905)

If that writing on the wall above the display windows applies to Fosters,

they could well have been around in the late 1700's ?

Samuel Bulloss, Tailor, 128 West Street (1849 & 1852 - no luck finding him in 1851 Census however)

Dunn & Co, hatters, - 75 High St .. picturesheffield

Also 78 High St .. picturesheffield

Dunn & Co at a later date also had a shop on the Moor,

though they were originally classed as hatters Dunn's did sell gents clothing,

I remember my dad bought very a nice but expensive tweed jacket from them.

Dunn & Co., Hat manufacturers 4 & 6 Castle Street in 1893

Dunn & Co., Hatters 76 High Street in 1911 and 76 & 78 High Street in 1919 and 1925. Listed as G A Dunn in 1925.

Dunn & Co., Hat manufacturers 4 & 6 Castle Street in 1893

Dunn & Co., Hatters 76 High Street in 1911 and 76 & 78 High Street in 1919 and 1925. Listed as G A Dunn in 1925.

I bought a Crombie style coat from the High Street branch. Probably 30 years ago.

Still wear it. Good as new.

Label edited into SteveHB's first post (post 18)

Guest Gramps

I had a couple of suits and a nice sports jacket from Austin Reeds in the late fifties. They were on Fargate on the corner with Chapel Walk.

Lew Harbour, Tailor 1951 Advert

( When I was at school in the 1970's/1980's there used to be a tailor at Sheffied Lane Top who used to sit in his window sewing this this!)

There was still a tailor there until around 15 - 20 yrs ago.

Corbetts mens outfitters on Bellhouse road - there again probably disappeared 15/20 yrs ago having changed their type of stock over the years to keep going.

All because you men no longer dress to impress!

Lyn :P

All because you men no longer dress to impress!

Lyn :P

I don't think I've EVER dressed to impress Lyn :o

Reminds me of a story about 15 years ago there was a series on TV at Sunday teatime about fashion through the ages.

Each programme covered a single decade from the twentieth century.

My wife and 2 daughters, who were both teenagers at the time, were watching the episode about fashion in the 1960's

I wasn't taking much interest as men don't on such matters but was sat reading a book instead.

The programme covered mens fashions as well as womens and while the bit about mens fashion was on my wife turned to our daughters and said, -

"Your dad's still got half of this gear in his wardrobe!" :o

"Your dad's still got half of this gear in his wardrobe!" :o

Have you noticed that men will never throw out the suit that they got married in even though

they know it will never fit them again. All you here when you want to take it to the charity shop

is " I got married in that" . he he

Have you noticed that men will never throw out the suit that they got married in even though

they know it will never fit them again. All you here when you want to take it to the charity shop

is " I got married in that" . he he

Yep, I think I'm guilty of that one as well.

To a man, feeling comfortable is important and older clothes which have been "worn in" a bit feel more comfortable.

Now women who are always changing their clothes must be inflicting a degree of discomfort on themselves as different clothes will "feel" different.

Remembering of course that there is a difference between the age of the clothes and their cleanliness.

Even old clothing can be clean so this can't be the issue.

Also I don't think "keeping up with the latests fashion" is the issue either as fashions don't change every Saturday afternoon just after pay day do they?

Also there is something called the "Emelda Marcos Syndrome" :huh:

Be very, very wary of women who own a ridiculously large number of pairs of shoes <_< :unsure:

W. Foster & Son Ltd, tailors, hatters & outfitters,

10 to 16 High Street.

16, 18 & 20 Waingate.

126 & 128 West Bar.

And 3 Imperial buildings. High street, Rotherham.

Kelly's directory 1925

Picture Sheffield Images

High Street 1900

High Street 1890

High Street 1890

Waingate 1940's air raid damage

Steve, thanks for that post. Having a look in Leader's Reminiscences of Old Sheffield 1875 - the following conversation takes place :

"Wragg... I cannot say how long the Fosters have had a tailor's shop in High Street, but I believe the grandfather opened the first ready made clothes shop in the town.

Leighton : I believe there is now a George Foster of the Fourth generation. Old Mr Foster was a real man of business. At the close of great French War, the Government advertised for sale a vast stock of old equipment given up by the soldiers when disbanded. Mr Foster went up to London as bought large quantities of soldiers jackets and belts ... there was harly a hardly a grinder in Sheffield but bought one of the jackets, for they suited their trade.. the belts were made of excellent leather and they were largely used by the cutlers for buffing and for similar purposes. Mr Foster realised a large sum of money by that transaction. He left his family wealthy."

W. Foster & Son Ltd, tailors, hatters & outfitters,

10 to 16 High Street.

16, 18 & 20 Waingate.

126 & 128 West Bar.

And 3 Imperial buildings. High street, Rotherham.

Kelly's directory 1925

Picture Sheffield Images

High Street 1900

High Street 1890

High Street 1890

Waingate 1940's air raid damage

A popular reply for Sheffielders when asked where they had been was "I've been round the back of Fosters"

The only explanation that I have heard was that "ladies of the night" took their clients to the extensive outbuildings around the back of the High Street / Fargate shop.

Seems strange that people would own up to being there.

HD

A popular reply for Sheffielders when asked where they had been was "I've been round the back of Fosters"

The only explanation that I have heard was that "ladies of the night" took their clients to the extensive outbuildings around the back of the High Street / Fargate shop.

HD

When my grandad had been out and didn't want to tell us kids where he had been, - probably because he had been to the shops to buy us some treats, he would say

"I've been round the back of Fosters"

Exactly as hilldweller describes it.

However, being the sort of man he was I am sure he would be quite shocked and upset if he thought / knew that it had this meaning.

In fact he knew it meant that he would not use the expression, certainly not on front of his grandchildren.

So not only does it seem strange that people would own up to having being there it sort of implies that the expression must have another, more innocent, meaning.

Anyone got any ideas what else it could mean?

HD

I've never come across that one before, Thanks Hilldweller, however, now I shall use that phrase whenever the where have you been question arises, all the more funny given that I live miles and miles away and it won't make any sense !

My father always went on about "Charlie Clark from Leicester" the implication being it wasn't a real person - I've never got to the bottom of this one.

More "mystery sayings" please ...

Looks to have been a bit of a rabbit warren round back of Fosters (No's 10 - 16 High St)

crops from 1950's O/S maps #2 & 4 merged

compared the same area to a 1905 map and there was very little change.

I've never come across that one before, Thanks Hilldweller, however, now I shall use that phrase whenever the where have you been question arises, all the more funny given that I live miles and miles away and it won't make any sense !

My father always went on about "Charlie Clark from Leicester" the implication being it wasn't a real person - I've never got to the bottom of this one.

I've often heard members of my family use the expression 'Stinkin Heeley' - did it? How did that arise?No offence Steve!:)

I've often heard members of my family use the expression 'Stinkin Heeley' - did it? How did that arise?No offence Steve!:)

New on me that one, Heeley Duffem I've heard of (however you spell it), covered on here somewhere.

Most likely me Dunsby .. lol

To be honest I have only lived in the Heeley area for forty years,

and have never heard of nor can I trace that saying.

There is a local smell in Heeley 'Maxons sweet factory' on Valley Rd, that often comes my way (depending on the wind direction)

Not what I would call a stink but more of a pleasant smell usually of aniseed

Living up near Manor Top, if we were going down Prince of Wales Road we would always say, -

"'am gooin' darnill to Darnall"

Also there is something called the "Emelda Marcos Syndrome" :huh:

Be very, very wary of women who own a ridiculously large number of pairs of shoes <_<:unsure:

I use to have 103 pair of shoes , I would keep the summer shoes up in the

loft during winter then bring them down and put the winter shoes up there

when the summer came. I had to do that because I'd nowhere to store them.

I gave a lot away which I can't walk in any more like the real high stilettos.

Down to about 50 now. :)

I use to have 103 pair of shoes , I would keep the summer shoes up in the

loft during winter then bring them down and put the winter shoes up there

when the summer came. I had to do that because I'd nowhere to store them.

I gave a lot away which I can't walk in any more like the real high stilettos.

Down to about 50 now. :)

Have you ever visited the Phillipines? lol

I used to have 103 pair of shoes and a suitable number of feet, I was that milliepede ...

Is that the millipede that was brilliant at football but could only be brought into play as a substitute late on in the second half because it took him over an hour to put his boots on? lol

Just a little social observation here.

Dunsbyowl started 2 new topics on the same day, so they have been running for the same length of time

One about Gentlemens Outfitters and one about Ladies Boutiques and the like.

The Ladies topic contains only a few posts, BUT all of them are sensible

The Gentlemens topic (this one) contains a lot of posts already, BUT....

Now, - what does that tell you about men and women? :unsure:

Just a little social observation here.

Dunsbyowl started 2 new topics on the same day, so they have been running for the same length of time

One about Gentlemens Outfitters and one about Ladies Boutiques and the like.

The Ladies topic contains only a few posts, BUT all of them are sensible

The Gentlemens topic (this one) contains a lot of posts already, BUT....

Now, - what does that tell you about men and women? :unsure:

Curse of the apostrophe ... search on Ladies search on Ladies' = very, very different results.

So different that Sheffield Records Online offers 39 hits for "Ladies' Outfitter" but gets to 24 then "melts", next page says 25 of 0 to 0

----------------

Appreciate what you mean about the Mens posting, however ... :rolleyes:

Curse of the apostrophe ... search on Ladies search on Ladies' = very, very different results.

So different that Sheffield Records Online offers 39 hits for "Ladies' Outfitter" but gets to 24 then "melts", next page says 25 of 0 to 0

----------------

Appreciate what you mean about the Mens posting, however ... :rolleyes:

Yes but the mens postings are funnier to read ;-)