Malin Bridge - Comet/Restaurant/Clothes Shop ?

Sheffield History

Is there any up to date pictures of the site and the waterwheel ? :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of photos taken this morning:

HOLY CRAP!! 'scuse my french but I used to live at 146 Loxley Rd - we overlooked the Comet car-park. The supper spot was my favourite chippy. Is it still there? We affectionatley used to call it the 'supper grot'. I ran 2 paper rounds out of the newsagents on the corner for my entire high-school life. I used to go down the river on a tyre inner tube and loved dropping over the litte waterfalls. I think I remember Comet closing down, but I left there in 85 and haven't been back since. I used to catch teh bus into town from the shelter beside the Yew Tree and my best mate lived just up the hill on the bend....I can't even remember the name of the road but we used to walk it every day to get to malin Bridge Junior School, and sledge down it in winter. I hope you manage to get some more photos. I never realised how much I miss the place.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane

Hi wunumpi ...... wadsleyite beat me to it with the photos of the old Comet store but I hope these photos will make up for it.

As you can see "supper grot" is still there, though I'm told they're not as nice as they used to be, the name of the steep hill that escaped you is Dykes Lane (very steep indeed).

I have one more photo for you but I will send you the link in a private message.

Guest tsavo

The wheel is unusual in Sheffield, being an undershot wheel. In its time it's been a grinding wheel, a sawmill, and a corn mill, though whether it was actually used for grinding flour isn't known.

below is an advert for the mill in White's Directory for 1876, when it was owned by the unusually named 'German Wilson'.

Nice pic of German Wilson's Mill on Picture Sheffield. (note they call it Germain Wilson not German. Political Correctess or just a typo?)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s09625

Guest wunumpi

Thanks dr stanley...i can't believe the chippy and the off-licence are still there. The off-licence used to be run by a Sri Lankan couple, Major and Nashvinda and we used to get all our booze from there when were had parties from college. Thanks for the pictures. I take it you still live in the area. Any chance of a shot of 146 Loxley Rd?

Thanks mate

Guest wunumpi

Sorry about the photo request, i was scanning quickly through the photos at work and didn't see that you sent one directly to me. The place has hardly changed at all. I used to make a kiling washing everyone's windows in that street because even the window cleaners wouldn't go up that high.

I really appreciate you taking the time out to take the phots and send them. Thanks heaps.

Nice pic of German Wilson's Mill on Picture Sheffield. (note they call it Germain Wilson not German. Political Correctess or just a typo?)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s09625

The people at the Local Studies library might have assumed that the name "German" was a mistake for "Germain". It seems that they have renumbered the photo as it is the same one that I mentioned in my post No 13. I remember when my grandparents referred to "German Wilson, the miller" I assumed that he was of German nationality (maybe Herr Muller?! :unsure: ) but he was born at Bradfield. Apparently the name "German" (a variant of "Herman") is of Russian origin and means "soldier". Members might be interested to see this scan from the 1901 census return:

I have heard on the grapevine that Sheffield City Council's planning department are now investigating the planning application as under the plans the water wheel was suppose to run from 10-11am every sunday , but as yet its not moved :angry:

The people at the Local Studies library might have assumed that the name "German" was a mistake for "Germain". It seems that they have renumbered the photo as it is the same one that I mentioned in my post No 13. I remember when my grandparents referred to "German Wilson, the miller" I assumed that he was of German nationality (maybe Herr Muller?! :unsure: ) but he was born at Bradfield. Apparently the name "German" (a variant of "Herman") is of Russian origin and means "soldier". Members might be interested to see this scan from the 1901 census return:

German Wilson wasn't German. He was a member of my wife's family and as Bradfield as they come! German was his Christian name, not a nickname which would have been more likely the case if he had been German. Remember we're talking about Victorian times, when people rejoiced in all kinds of unusual Christian names!

This is the link to the archaeological survey that was done in 2007:

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-750-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol1-27193_1.pdf

A brief extract as follows:

The earliest documentary reference to the site dates to 1739 wherein a weir belonging to the ‘Malin Bridge Wheel’ is mentioned in a lease of the next mill downstream. A map of Owlerton manor dating to 1777 has a note in accompanying text which mentions the ‘new wheel’ at Malin Bridge. In 1787 the property was referred to as a cutlers’ grinding wheel and it continued to be leased to named cutlers to 1808, and a grinder in 1815. When advertised to let in 1819 the property was described as then being used as a casting house but it had previously been a grinding wheel. There are various references to the mill during the 19th century including a claim for damages caused by a major flood in 1864. The building marked on the six inch Ordnance Survey map of 1855 appears smaller and lacks the current northern wing. No other buildings are present on the site. From the early 20th century the property operated as a corn mill but by the 1970s the buildings were used as an electrical retail outlet.

I'm beginning to like you Edmund.

Thank you once again.

This is the link to the archaeological survey that was done in 2007:

Yes the Comet down at Malin Bridge , I remember it well . I grew up just up the hill from there , it must have opened in about 1970 . I left Myers Grove in 1975 and went to Stannington College , I needed a calculator and went to Comet to buy one , it was an Adler , anyway for whatever reason I didn't buy it , probably lack of money , working in the steelworks the pay was shocking , any way I got a secondhand Casio from somewhere that i can't remember , it had a flourescent green display and lasted up until the early 80s when it just stopped ... displaying that is . I wonder if the Adler would have lasted any longer ? I still see Casio calculators but I don't remember seeing an Adler.

Both myself and my mum left the area in the early 80s , I was talking to her the other week about my childhood in the 1960s , she said that when Comet was first opened she bought a tumble dryer from there , but because they wanted such alot of money to deliver it she brought it home in a wheel barrow! She would have been in her early 30s then , that is the same age as my daughter is now , somehow I can't imagine my daughter struggling home with a kitchen appliance in a wheel barrow..

Ah well when needs must