Jessop & Smiths

Guest sc cutlers

Guest sc cutlers

Hi everyone Just wondered if anyone knew any history on Jessop & Smiths the old blade forgers old and new history i used to be there quite alot then next they have gone.

Thanks

Hi everyone Just wondered if anyone knew any history on Jessop & Smiths the old blade forgers old and new history i used to be there quite alot then next they have gone.

Thanks

Harold Jessop, Cutlery Forger, Jessop & Smith; home 6 Norfolk Road Park (1925), is this them ?

Guest sc cutlers

Harold Jessop, Cutlery Forger, Jessop & Smith; home 6 Norfolk Road Park (1925), is this them ?

Yes i think it is thankyou any other info would be really appreciated,

Jessop & Smith

Albert Works, Sidney Street

Began Trading in 1936. according to www.yfmgroup.co.uk

(doesn't sound right according to Richard's info)

Google Streetview.

Became part of Osbourns in 2008. Shortly before Osbourns finally folded.

Someone called Coulter took photos inside Jessop & Smiths shortly before they closed.

I wonder where they are.

Jessop & Smith

Albert Works, Sidney Street

Began Trading in 1936. according to www.yfmgroup.co.uk

(doesn't sound right according to Richard's info)

Google Streetview.

Became part of Osbourns in 2008. Shortly before Osbourns finally folded.

Someone called Coulter took photos inside Jessop & Smiths shortly before they closed.

I wonder where they are.

It was Nickel Blanks that bought out Jessop & Smiths, they also took over Rutland Cutlery Co

Guest Aldebaran

It was Nickel Blanks that bought out Jessop & Smiths, they also took over Rutland Cutlery Co

Sorry, i have a problem. I don't know if there is a sort of link between Jessop & Smith and William Jessop,the civil engineer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jessop ).

He built the Pointcysyllte with steel of Plas Kynaston.

Thank you for any yours replies!

P.S.:Now i find also this http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/ludlum/pages/companyinfo/history.asp

Sorry...

This was taken inside Jessop & Smiths in the late seventies. When i worked just across the road at George Butler in the seventies & eighties the majority of workers were young people and lots of them were from borstals & had been in trouble with the police but they worked at J.& S.and the company produced the best knife blade blanks in England. Even though they were always busy, the forge was a bit of a health and safety issue, they had lots of gas leaks on their anealing furnaces but in those days getting work out took precedence over health & safety, the health & safety law which now is just ridiculous has now led to the closure of many a small firm

After leaving school at 15 l worked in the tool room as apprentice diesinker & toolmaker from early1963 till about late 1966.I remember most of the men in the tool room Allen Warren (apprentice) Trevor Stone, Graham? Harry ? (Toolmaker) Tony Damms (apprentice) & and one we called Mad Mountain sorry forgot his real name.Those men & women that work in the forge making the knifes really had a hot,dirty job & were on piecework so had to work hard to earn a living,but they all seemed a good crowd