"Squints Theatre"

RichardB

One of Sheffields Theatres was known as Squints, which one, and why ?

[i can think of one Member who would have loved this question]

Guest abcman

One of Sheffields Theatres was known as Squints, which one, and why ?

[i can think of one Member who would have loved this question]

'Squints Theatre' was a former name for the Grand Theatre at West Bar.Opened as the West Bar Hall, then becoming known as the Bijou.It became the 'Squints' when it was owned by Mr Alfred Milner who had a very bad squint, hence the name.

'Squints Theatre' was a former name for the Grand Theatre at West Bar.Opened as the West Bar Hall, then becoming known as the Bijou.It became the 'Squints' when it was owned by Mr Alfred Milner who had a very bad squint, hence the name.

Nice one abcman !

Costs nothing to ask

I suspect you know a tad more about Sheffield Cinema/Theatre than most of the rest of us (for tad more read "a whole lot more"); we need someone (that knows what they are talking about regarding these subjects) to pick up the work left by our great friend Tsavo (Tsavo aka Lawrence welcomed everyone to SH - including me and I've been here a while).

We need to work towards a workable A-Z of all theates and Cinemas (we can all help with input, plus there is a huge amount of information available already).

Tsavo was a former projectionist and had a great passion for Sheffield Cinema and Theatre; I feel only someone with a similar interest can fill his position, Tsavo managed his input from Portugal - distance need not be a problem - I'm in Wallsend, Newcastle myself.

Please let me know if you would be interested in contributing/maintaining the Cinema/Theatre thread (we can offer all the Moderator input you might require regarding editing posts/creation of links from one topic to another).

Thanks for your reply.

RichardB

Guest abcman

I suspect you know a tad more about Sheffield Cinema/Theatre than most of the rest of us (for tad more read "a whole lot more"); we need someone (that knows what they are talking about regarding these subjects) to pick up the work left by our great friend Tsavo (Tsavo aka Lawrence welcomed everyone to SH - including me and I've been here a while).

We need to work towards a workable A-Z of all theates and Cinemas (we can all help with input, plus there is a huge amount of information available already).

Tsavo was a former projectionist and had a great passion for Sheffield Cinema and Theatre; I feel only someone with a similar interest can fill his position, Tsavo managed his input from Portugal - distance need not be a problem - I'm in Wallsend, Newcastle myself.

Please let me know if you would be interested in contributing/maintaining the Cinema/Theatre thread (we can offer all the Moderator input you might require regarding editing posts/creation of links from one topic to another).

Thanks for your reply.

RichardB

Whilst I feel very flattered to be asked and am happy to help with info. etc. when ever I can, I don't think I could take on such a task due to other commitments but thanks for asking me.

Whilst I feel very flattered to be asked and am happy to help with info. etc. when ever I can, I don't think I could take on such a task due to other commitments but thanks for asking me.

Thank you for considering it, we look forward to your further input (and help when required).

RichardB

Guest abcman

Thank you for considering it, we look forward to your further input (and help when required).

RichardB

Thanks Richard.I am always happy to help with info etc. if I have the answer.Just ask and I'll do my best to help.