Freedom of information act

Lyn 1

Curious to know - a murder in the family in 1970ish - not in Sheffield resulted in one of the two murderers being detained in Broadmoor indefinitely at her HM pleasure. How likely is it that I could find out whether he has been set free? I'm unlikey to follow it up but just curious as to whether the Act covers this type of stuff.

I suppose his 'human rights' may prevent this.

Thanks

Lyn

Curious to know - a murder in the family in 1970ish - not in Sheffield resulted in one of the two murderers being detained in Broadmoor indefinitely at her HM pleasure. How likely is it that I could find out whether he has been set free? I'm unlikey to follow it up but just curious as to whether the Act covers this type of stuff.

Thanks

Lyn

Myself and DaveH have discussed this subject a few times over the odd pint.

In 1972 a friend of ours was convicted of murder, we always wondered what happened to him. (no names to protect the guilty :) )

Myself and DaveH have discussed this subject a few times over the odd pint.

In 1972 a friend of ours was convicted of murder, we always wondered what happened to him. (no names to protect the guilty :) )

We never came to a conclusion though <_<

We never came to a conclusion though <_<

Probably because it was 1973 and not 1972 lol

As prison is seen not only as a punishment for a crime committed but also as a way to try and rehabilitate offenders and release them back into society so that they may play a useful role in it without fear of them ever reoffending it is important that the offenders, if they are to be rehabilitated, can start with a clean slate and put their past behind them.

This would be very difficult if your past was waiting to catch up with you around every corner, - old friends, victims relatives with a grudge or score to settle etc.

In some cases the released prisoner is set up with a new identity in a place miles from where they committed their offences.

For this reason I don't think the Home Office would ever divulge such information to general enquiries and there may even be a "secrecy order" of many years on such information.

I think, without making any further enquiries that was the conclusion that me and Stuart came to in the boozer.

..and the conclusion to the next question we asked each other was that it was Stuarts turn to get the drinks in! lol

Thanks

Lyn

Our friend too was detained "at her majesty's pleasure"

I am not quite sure what this means in legal terms.

Does it mean that you never come up before a parole board?

Does it mean that you are in prison forever and only the ruling Monarch (or through powers divulged to his / her Government) have the power to ever overturn this and release you?

Anyone know anything about the law on this?

Our friend too was detained "at her majesty's pleasure"

I am not quite sure what this means in legal terms.

Does it mean that you never come up before a parole board?

Does it mean that you are in prison forever and only the ruling Monarch (or through powers divulged to his / her Government) have the power to ever overturn this and release you?

Anyone know anything about the law on this?

I'm talking 1971 so I think it meant what is said - indefitely at that time and would not be released unless thought to be no longer a danger to the public. Nowadays they have their 'human rights' etc. But best not to get started on that debate perhaps. I know nowadays - yes they do have new ID - in this case I would doubt it though they were definitely a danger to the general public at that time having carried on attacking after the murder. I don't think new ID's were given then as they had no 'human rights'.

Lyn

I'm talking 1971 so I think it meant what is said - indefitely at that time and would not be released unless thought to be no longer a danger to the public. Nowadays they have their 'human rights' etc. But best not to get started on that debate perhaps. I know nowadays - yes they do have new ID - in this case I would doubt it though they were definitely a danger to the general public at that time having carried on attacking after the murder. I don't think new ID's were given then as they had no 'human rights'.

Lyn

Currently a certain Mr. P. Sutcliffe who was arrested in Sheffield in 1981 and has been detained in prison ever since is trying to play the legal game on this issue, and he may claim his "human rights"