Furnival Rd - Blonk St - Exchange St

Stuart0742

The attached map is a 1903 OS Map overlaid with the equivalent 1950 section. The road layout was drastically changed after 1914 when Castlegate was built and the Alexandra Theatre was demolished

Much of the city end of Furnival Road was lost including the Victoria Hotel & Alexandra Hotel

See these 2 Picturesheffield links

s16200

s13587

The attached map is a 1903 OS Map overlaid with the equivalent 1950 section. The road layout was drastically changed after 1914 when Castlegate was built and the Alexandra Theatre was demolished

Much of the city end of Furnival Road was lost including the Victoria Hotel & Alexandra Hotel

Link 1

Link 2

Magnificent, the future of SheffieldHistory staring me in the face; I can appreciate the effort and the result, I just can't get my head around the method. Don't have the time/money/wife's say so to find out ... but is any other site capable of producing work of such quality ?

Many more arrows to add in the months to come, I hope.

and many more such maps - quality work Stuart.

Link 1

Link 2

Hi,

A lot of good details on the overlay. A couple of quick observations which you may have already made:

1 -The building identified as the SYPTE offices was in an earlier life the offices of Sheffield Corporation Transport. But the SCT hadn't been there all that long. The original occupants(and possible the owners) was W,H.Smith. It was their distribution centre for magazines. Before moving to Exchange Street, the SCT office used to be the old waterworks building at the bottom of Division Street.

2 - Looking at the map, a building is shown between the arrows identifying the Alexandra Hotel and the Smithfield Hotel: alongside the Don but end-on to Blonk Street. This was the Sheffield Testing Company and they were at this location until the late 50's/early 60's. Then they moved to a new building on Nursery Street. Does anybody know if they are still in business ?

Regards

Hi,

A lot of good details on the overlay. A couple of quick observations which you may have already made:

1 -The building identified as the SYPTE offices was in an earlier life the offices of Sheffield Corporation Transport. But the SCT hadn't been there all that long. The original occupants(and possible the owners) was W,H.Smith. It was their distribution centre for magazines. Before moving to Exchange Street, the SCT office used to be the old waterworks building at the bottom of Division Street.

2 - Looking at the map, a building is shown between the arrows identifying the Alexandra Hotel and the Smithfield Hotel: alongside the Don but end-on to Blonk Street. This was the Sheffield Testing Company and they were at this location until the late 50's/early 60's. Then they moved to a new building on Nursery Street. Does anybody know if they are still in business ?

Regards

Falls

This could be them?

http://www.sheffieldtesting.com/

Regards

Looks like they are still going

Sheffield Testing Laboratories Ltd. (STL)

56 Nursery Street.

www.sheffieldtesting.com

'The company began trading in 1880 and has been incorporated under the companies act since 1903.'

Looks like they are still going

Sheffield Testing Laboratories Ltd. (STL)

56 Nursery Street.

www.sheffieldtesting.com

'The company began trading in 1880 and has been incorporated under the companies act since 1903.'

Hello,

Thanks for all your help: Good to see they are still around.

The last company I worked for in Shefield used them exclusives for testing. Some of our requirements were way outside the realm of regular materials testing but they always seemed to have a piece of equipment that would do the job.

Regards

Thought it time to bring this topic to the top, somebody might have further information

Another photo showng the Alexandra Theatre and the two pubs

And two pubs on the same sites (1850's) but with different names.

The New Bull & Oak and the New Market Inn.

Or where "Don House" Blonk Street was (1907 reference)?

Not found anything on Don House, and it is not for want of trying,

anything to do with vets and J H Bryers ?

I've been Eberri... Ebirlert ... Ebberto ... looking for other stuff ... lol

It came up in a burial record Daniel Simpson who is listed s having died at Don House Blonk Street.

In the 1901 census he is listed as a carter for an iron works (probably Samuel Osborn's) and lived at 110 Wicker. I wondered if it had something to do with the old Samuel Osborn Stables on Blonk Street.

I've been Eberri... Ebirlert ... Ebberto ... looking for other stuff ... lol

When you should be looking into horses heads <_<

picturesheffield t02389

I think our member Oldbloke may have already come across these,

John Henry Bryars.

That's brilliant Steve, thanks. It makes sense that horses would be involved as Daniel (my great-great-grandfather's brother) came from Lincolnshire and looked after horses all his life. I now have another new direction to head off in.

That's brilliant Steve, thanks. It makes sense that horses would be involved as Daniel (my great-great-grandfather's brother) came from Lincolnshire and looked after horses all his life. I now have another new direction to head off in.

Could that be a Daniel Simpson, horse keeper at

112 Wicker, listed in the 1901 White's directory.

It definitely looks like it. I never could find 110 Wicker on any maps, only in the Census. I've not seen the 1901 White's until now.

In the census he's listed as steelworks carting foreman. His neighbours are the same too.

Thanks again.

It definitely looks like it. I never could find 110 Wicker on any maps, only in the Census. I've not seen the 1901 White's until now. In the census he's listed as steelworks carting foreman. His neighbours are the same too. Thanks again.

View it and other directories online historicaldirectories.org