My dull username

RichardB

Well, maybe not Winifred but BelligerentYorkshireman, unfortunately the name is too long; guess I'm stuck with RichardB which is fantastically uninteresting.

What user name(s) did you consider before becoming what you are known as now ?

For those with interesting names, what does it mean ? (if you wish to share that is).

Well, maybe not Winifred but BelligerentYorkshireman, unfortunately the name is too long; guess I'm stuck with RichardB which is fantastically uninteresting.

What user name(s) did you consider before becoming what you are known as now ?

For those with interesting names, what does it mean ? (if you wish to share that is).

`Waterside Echo` The title of our Hillfoot County school magazine. W/E.

Sorry I do not have an interesting name either as I have so many different user names on different sites I decided to have one that I can actually remember for when I get logged off he he

Everywhere else I'm know as Markybaby, but when I typed it in I mistakenly missed out the middle "y". :(

I'm probably stuck with it unless there's some way of changing it :unsure:

Everywhere else I'm know as Markybaby, but when I typed it in I mistakenly missed out the middle "y". :(

I'm probably stuck with it unless there's some way of changing it :unsure:

Mark

I'm not 100% but you could try change user name in your control panel?

"Welcome to your control panel Change Display Name"

Mark

I'm not 100% but you could try change user name in your control panel?

"Welcome to your control panel Change Display Name"

I don't think it is possible to change your username, and once you have become known on the site and people have replied to your posts it may not be a good idea to do so for continuity of the threads.

I obviously chose "DaveH" as a cut down version of my real name as I am sure that is what many other members have done from their equally plain but easy for them to remember usernames.

Once I got into posting I wanted an avitar that was undeniably Sheffield and found the unusual one of Vulcan on the town hall with the moon in the sky on another web site and "borrowed" it :rolleyes:

Having done this I rather wished that I could change my username to "Vulcan", after both the god on the top of the town hall that synbolises the City and also after the editorial column on page 6 of The Star which comments on local happenings much as I was doing on this site.

At the time I asked Stuart0742 who was a moderator and in the know with the technical aspects of the site but it doesn't appear to be possible and of course I realised at the time, already about 700 posts down the line that perhaps to alter my name at that stage was probably not a good idea.

I don't think it is possible to change your username, and once you have become known on the site and people have replied to your posts it may not be a good idea to do so for continuity of the threads.

I obviously chose "DaveH" as a cut down version of my real name as I am sure that is what many other members have done from their equally plain but easy for them to remember usernames.

Once I got into posting I wanted an avitar that was undeniably Sheffield and found the unusual one of Vulcan on the town hall with the moon in the sky on another web site and "borrowed" it :rolleyes:

Having done this I rather wished that I could change my username to "Vulcan", after both the god on the top of the town hall that synbolises the City and also after the editorial column on page 6 of The Star which comments on local happenings much as I was doing on this site.

At the time I asked Stuart0742 who was a moderator and in the know with the technical aspects of the site but it doesn't appear to be possible and of course I realised at the time, already about 700 posts down the line that perhaps to alter my name at that stage was probably not a good idea.

... and at 500 posts I realised I was "lumbered", so now (12,700) I'm well beyond worrying about it, I was just interested in how others came by the name they came to choose.

Markybaby came from my wife :wub:

I used to listen to Radio Sheffield at lunchtimes as they used to do a quiz where you could text in occasionally to win prizes. I entered one quiz as Markybaby (for anonymity) and was picked out because my answer was right and because the presenter found the name funny. In case you're wondering, I won two VIP tickets to "Opera in the Park" at Temple Newsome hosted by Lesley Garrett. It was a fabulous night! We had a great view and were waited on hand and foot.

... and at 500 posts I realised I was "lumbered", so now (12,700) I'm well beyond worrying about it, I was just interested in how others came by the name they came to choose.

Never mind Richard, from now on we'll all think of you as Winifred, the Belligerent Yorkshireman. he he

I agree about continuity but as you can see Dave I have just changed mine! he he

I agree about continuity but as you can see Dave I have just changed mine! he he

How did you do that then?

I can see it would be possible to do it by registering twice with 2 different identities and 2 different usernames but that is VERY NAUGHTY :o and we have rules on this site that say that you can't do that ;-)

However dunsbyowl, or is it dunsbyowl1867 :unsure: , I am sure that was NOT the method you used. ;-)

How did you do that then?

I can see it would be possible to do it by registering twice with 2 different identities and 2 different usernames but that is VERY NAUGHTY :o and we have rules on this site that say that you can't do that ;-)

However dunsbyowl, or is it dunsbyowl1867 :unsure: , I am sure that was NOT the method you used. ;-)

No it's still me - only one registration! Changed my display name as explained here!

Where & how to change your display name

So, it can be done quite easily then.

...and up to 3 times in any 30 day period.

But on second thoughts, after all this time I think I'll just stick to being DaveH ;-)

I get the feeling that this is only available to admin type people and not us run of the mill plebs cos I've looked all over "my controls" and I can't find how to do it anywhere! :(

I get the feeling that this is only available to admin type people and not us run of the mill plebs cos I've looked all over "my controls" and I can't find how to do it anywhere! :(

Sorry I'm sure all can do this - its "my Controls" on the Top then

Personal profile on the left hand side - down to Change Display name with your password

Personal Profile Edit Profile Information

Edit Personal Portal Information

Edit 'About Me' page

Edit Signature

Edit Avatar Settings

Change Personal Photo

Change Display Name

Hi Fellow SHs Syrup is a nickname my workmates call me because when i started work there

my hair was very neat and for a long time everyone assumed that i was wearing a wig.

madannie77 originated with one of the first discussion groups I joined, where the username required a number of some sort to be included. I chose the route number of my favourite bus route (:o ), Stagecoach in Cumbria route 77 (The Honister Rambler). The Mad Annie bit was already in use since I set up my first website in 1999. The Annie bit derives from my middle name, the Mad bit is self explanatory :wacko:

Like others on this forum, I sometime wish I had chosen something different, but I decided to stick with the same username for almost all the forums I contribute to - it's easier that way.

THYLACINE is the only SH member (non moderator) that I know of who has undergone a name change,

sorry but part of that phrase sounds a bit naughty to me ((((lol)

I wonder if he contacted ADMIN or did he do it himself?

There lies the answer: I haven't got the option :(

Markbaby is correct. Only Admin and moderators can change their user name themselves.

THYLACINE is the only SH member (non moderator) that I know of who has undergone a name change,

sorry but part of that phrase sounds a bit naughty to me ((((lol)

I wonder if he contacted ADMIN or did he do it himself?

A bit naughty Steve <_< , In my naievety I can't see that it is :unsure:

I thought that a thylacine was an Australian (Tasmanian) animal, a sort of australian tiger once thought to be extinct, and as THYLACINE lives in Tasmania he had got his username from the local animal life.

Once a Markbaby, always a Markbaby :(

Unless of course Markbaby, according to Stuart0742, one of us could alter it for you, -

Markbaby is correct. Only Admin and moderators can change their user name themselves.

Then you could be a Markybaby ;-)

Unless of course Markbaby, according to Stuart0742, one of us could alter it for you, -

Then you could be a Markybaby ;-)

We can't alter other members names, only Admin himself could do that.