"The Cricket Players"

miked

Any info on the following pub please?

Thanks, Mike

"THE CRICKET PLAYERS" 1840 HANGMOOR SIDE. STANNINGTON. Appliction to sell liquer

(Courtesy D.Smith.)

This is not quite what I expected see Miked from my "rooting about". It does imply that the premises were at Stannington, I know one George Dyson was making enquiries about a public house known as the "Cricket Players" at West Bar/Tenter Street, Broad Lane area somewhat earlier than 1840 - my evidence towards this to come later, I've got to speak with the wife at least once a day !

So, hopefully we have evidence of an unknown Pub at West Bar (probably arename) and a possible at Stannington (nothing yet to say his application was granted).

Thanks for posting this Miked, most interesting, the kind of stuff that keeps the old hands interested. After all it is possible to become jaded lookingat 160 year old, former boozers.

I hope we can come up with evidence to back both places up ... he said, looking at Ukelele Lady, Jeremy, Uncle Tom Cobley and all lol

Rose and Crown, Hann Moor, Stannington

Thomas Nichols 1822

then a big gap until

George Wilde 1881

Dyson, George, Coal Owner, Stannington Wood, in 1871.

Dyson, George, Inns & Taverns Rose & Crown, Stannington, in 1871.

Surrender of a lease CB/875 18 Jul 1825

Contents: Thomas Rawson, of Sheffield, brewer, to the Burgesses. Part of a plot of ground (415 square yards) with 4 messuages thereon, then held by Joseph Ronksley, Aaron Tyas, William Petty, and Thomas Crookes, in Tenter Street, or West Bar Green, Sheffield, which had been leased to Joseph Epworth, of Broomhall, par. Sheffield, yeoman, by a deed of 1 Nov 1784, for a term of 63 years at an annual rent of £1 14s. 6d.; of which, 336 square yards, 2 messuages (one used as a public house called The Cricket Players), with a brew house and stable, were assigned to Rawson by a deed of 15 Jul 1794. For £32, Rawson surrenders his part to the Burgesses. Plan.

Wrong place I know

Assignment of lease TT/121/11 15 Jul 1794

Contents: Joseph Epworth, of Sheffield, yeoman, and his wife, Ann, with his mortgagee, Michael Shaw, of Dronfield, co. Derbys., esq., to Thomas Rawson, of Sheffield, common brewer. Leasehold premises comprising: 266 sq. yds. land abutting on Sim's Croft held from the Church Burgesses; 336sq. yds. land in Tenter St. als. West Bar Green, with 2 messuages thereon which are now used as a public house called the 'Cricket Players', with the adjacent brewhouse and stable; 327sq.yds. vacant ground adjacent to the 2 messuages. For £300 paid to Shaw. Detailed plan by William Fairbank.

Wrong place I know (again)

Rose and Crown, Hann Moor, Stannington

Thomas Nichols 1822

then a big gap until

George Wilde 1881

Early ones I've got on Stannington are

1833 Crown & Glove Joseph Gosney

1833 Hare & Hounds John Inman

1833 Peacock George Thompson

1833 Robin Hood [Little Matlock] John Rushby

But I will look for this one the next time I visit the library.

Early ones I've got on Stannington are

1833 Crown & Glove Joseph Gosney

1833 Hare & Hounds John Inman

1833 Peacock George Thompson

1833 Robin Hood [Little Matlock] John Rushby

But I will look for this one the next time I visit the library.

Just been talking to an old Stannington couple .... never heard of it. As Richard wondered, it may not have taken off.

Watch your purse in the library

Thanks

Mike

Just been talking to an old Stannington couple .... never heard of it. As Richard wondered, it may not have taken off.

Watch your purse in the library

Thanks

Mike

Will do. Once bitten.....

Ukelele Lady