Intake Sports Club Field

Guest wayneybabes

Guest wayneybabes

I am sure DaveH will have some input on this thread lol

Does anyone remember the field how it used to be?. I moved down Intake with my parents in 85 but by then the field was overgrown. I am sure a few of you will remember going when the fairground was there. The field is now a housing estate.

Also, does anyone know how the housing planners got around getting permission to bulldoze the old scrap yard?. IIRC it was a listed building???

I am sure DaveH will have some input on this thread lol

Does anyone remember the field how it used to be?. I moved down Intake with my parents in 85 but by then the field was overgrown. I am sure a few of you will remember going when the fairground was there. The field is now a housing estate.

Also, does anyone know how the housing planners got around getting permission to bulldoze the old scrap yard?. IIRC it was a listed building???

I'm not quite sure of the location you mean wayneybabes

Was Intake social club on Hollybank Road opposite the old Rex Cinema, now the Co-Op car park?

If so, where was their field?

Was it on the land behind the Noahs Ark?

Guest wayneybabes

I'm not quite sure of the location you mean wayneybabes

Was Intake social club on Hollybank Road opposite the old Rex Cinema, now the Co-Op car park?

If so, where was their field?

Was it on the land behind the Noahs Ark?

that is the correct club yes, must have renamed it. i know they played some sports indoors, hence the name 'sports' club.

there was a little field directly behind the club also over the back of the Noah's. The field i mean is the one to the left of the club as you face it. there are really tall trees around the field. the field is circular in shape. i seem to remember there was some old changing rooms on there so they must have used it as a football field at sometime.

if you dont remember the sports club field, do you remember the Noah's Ark bonfire displays?. What about the Barbecues?

ahhhh memories

that is the correct club yes, must have renamed it. i know they played some sports indoors, hence the name 'sports' club.

there was a little field directly behind the club also over the back of the Noah's. The field i mean is the one to the left of the club as you face it. there are really tall trees around the field. the field is circular in shape. i seem to remember there was some old changing rooms on there so they must have used it as a football field at sometime.

if you dont remember the sports club field, do you remember the Noah's Ark bonfire displays?. What about the Barbecues?

ahhhh memories

I have only been to the club once for a family do in about 1988 so I don't know a lot about it. The club is no longer there, I think it has been replaced with a nursing home.

No memory of the field behind it at all.

Unfortunately the Noah's Ark is not one of the pubs I go in so I don't know of their bonfires and barbies either.

Guest wayneybabes

I have only been to the club once for a family do in about 1988 so I don't know a lot about it. The club is no longer there, I think it has been replaced with a nursing home.

Yes, it is a nursing home now

Unfortunately the Noah's Ark is not one of the pubs I go in so I don't know of their bonfires and barbies either.

They used to have big bonfires and firework displays every year in the car park. lorry drivers used to bring them skip fulls of wood and rubbish, probably in exchange for letting them park the lorry in the car park overnight while they had a kip!.

Until one year in the nineties when the Intake Mob and Frecheville Mob had a big riot. Was on the front page of the star IIRC

I used to play football for Intake Juniors in the mid-late 80s and our meeting place on a Sunday morning was at the

Intake Sports Club mentioned here. We had our presentation evenings there, too. And I remember a few bonfires held

in the field in the back with pie and peas supper. Recall us coughing up loose change to give someone to go into the Noah's

to get a pint that we would pass round! The bloke who ran the football teams lived across the road, first house after the

Lo-Cost (as it was then) car park.

Guest wayneybabes

I used to play football for Intake Juniors in the mid-late 80s and our meeting place on a Sunday morning was at the

Intake Sports Club mentioned here. We had our presentation evenings there, too. And I remember a few bonfires held

in the field in the back with pie and peas supper. Recall us coughing up loose change to give someone to go into the Noah's

to get a pint that we would pass round! The bloke who ran the football teams lived across the road, first house after the

Lo-Cost (as it was then) car park.

Thanks Diablo

Just reminded me that the sports club used to have bonfires at the back as well yes.

and now you mention it, i remember see-ing all the young lads on sunday morning meeting outside the club. didnt you play on Intake School field?. Also vaguely remember the bloke in the first house having something to do with the team. a few doors down from his house were a family who were big wednesdayites and at the time of the league cup final in 91 they were selling counterfeit SWFC t-shirts lol

The bloke who ran the intake juniors was called Alan Hobson who sorry to say died on the eleventh of january this year

he lived at the second house after the car park.

The field at the side of intake club was spear and jacksons football ground.

intake club closed in august 1996.

john

I remember this field and I used to go to the fairs there it did belong to the sports club but they sold it before the houses were built to someone else. I can't ever remember it being used for much else though. My Dad was concert secretary for the club and my Mum played the piano and later the organ there so went from around 1955 .