I quite like a song or two from Richard Tauber; after all

Girls were made to love and kiss

and who am I to interfere with this

etc

It's not the fact that he is a Jolson fan, - no shame in that

It's just that I never knew about it lol

Indeed, You are my heart's delight ... apparently ...

"The singing fool" was Al Jolson's second talkie, his first, "The Jazz singer" being widely regarded as the first real talkie with lip synchronised sound.

The world premier of "The Jazz Singer" in 1927

Just look at those crowds!!!

OK, Jolson was already a popular performer in his own right and would have attracted a big crowd anyway

But this was different, this was the first lip synchronised talking picture (talkie), - and Jolson was going to sing in it!

Having sat through about 20 minutes of silent film to then see Jolson appear from behind a stage curtain and tell everyone "You 'aint heard nothing yet" the effect must have been spectacular. :blink:

For him to then talk to the audience, offer to sing a song, talk to the "proffessor" (conductor) in the orchestra pit and then go into a full version of "Toot Toot Tootsie" must have been totally electrifying. :o

But it must then have been something of an anticlimax when the song ends, the curtain closes and Jolson reverts to playing a part in a silent film until the next sound sequence in another 15 minutes or so. :(

Indeed, You are my heart's delight ... apparently ...

Richard Tauber appeared twice at the Sheffield Empire in 'The Land Of Smiles' in which the song 'You Are My Hearts Delight' is sung.Week commencing August 19th 1940, returning again week commencing April 7th 1941.

The Blue Plaque on Park West Appartments,Edgware Road,London for Richard Tauber.

Richard Tauber appeared twice at the Sheffield Empire in 'The Land Of Smiles' in which the song 'You Are My Hearts Delight' is sung.Week commencing August 19th 1940, returning again week commencing April 7th 1941.

I'd been searching for that (and failing), Thank you.

I'm a big Jolson fan, I used to play and sing a few of his songs on the old ukebanjo.

I'm a big Jolson fan, I used to play and sing a few of his songs on the old ukebanjo.

Not only as George Formby in the old Blitz Museum in Banners at Attercliffe but also starring as Al Jolson :o

What a performer you are ukelele lady ;-)

Now when you do Jolson do you do him as -

A

A white Russian Jewish imigrant to the USA, which he was, most frequently performed as but is least frequently seen as

B

In traditional minstrel blackface as he is more usually seen in performance?

lol

Don't think they've done a 'sing a long Showboat' - AS YET. Give them time.

Over the years Showboat has had many additions and subtractions to its song list. I understand that 'Ol Man River' was written for Paul Robeson for the 1936 film version and did not appear either in the original stage show or first film version.

Just to clear up a few points:

"Ol' Man River" was indeed written for the original Broadway version of "Showboat". Based on Edna Ferber's novel of the same name, it opened on Dec 27th, 1927, and the song was sung by Jules Bledsoe (as Joe), who also sang it in the 1929 part-talkie screen version. Laura La Plante and Joeseph Schildkraut played Magnolia and Gaylord.

Paul Robeson sang it in the 1936 screen version of the show, reprising the role that he had played in the original 1928 London version, and 1932 Broadway revival of the show.

Irene Dunne and Allan Jones played Magnolia and Gaylord.

In the 1951 M.G.M film version, William Warfield sang "Ol' Man River", with Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel as Magnolia and Gaylord.

Joe E. Brown played the part of Capt. Andy, owner of the Showboat.

Paul Robeson sang it in the 1936 screen version of the show, reprising the role that he had played in the original 1928 London version, and 1932 Broadway revival of the show.

Irene Dunne and Allan Jones played Magnolia and Gaylord.

Paul Robeson sings "Ole Man river" in the 1936 version of Showboat

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Paul Robeson sings "ole Man River", Showboat, 1936